• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Long lean mean machine

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is, but this outfit spent last Saturday night in our little town. It looks well-made and expensive.

Alongaffair.jpg

A long affair to go down the highway
ItwasparkedinourlittletownlastSaturdaynight.jpg

It was parked in our little town last Saturday night.
Thetruckatthebackisalsoattached.jpg

The truck at the back is also attached.
Notsurehowitcankeeptheperfectspeed.jpg

Not sure how it can keep the perfect speed and stay synchronized with the front truck
Upclose.jpg

Up close
Next.jpg

Next
Lotsofbuffers.jpg

Lots of buffers
Themiddleandtheback.jpg

The middle and the back
Andthewhitecaboose.jpg

And the white caboose
Notsurehowitcankeeptheperfectspeed.jpg

It would take a pretty savvy driver.
Butitspurposeseemsamystery.jpg

But its purpose seems a mystery

A couple years sago I seen one and got stop so it could turn a corner. What it was hauling was hanging under that middle part.

When General Electric was in Muncie they used these about 4 times a year.

They haul really big heavy power transformers - - - the back truck is in nutral and towed unless a push is needed to get over a hill - - - -most of the time it is unhooked and just follows.

When they move around here they have at least 2 State troopers in the front and back and radio ahead and local police and sheriffs block roads as they go by.

The biggest one I have seen come thru had 28 axels not counting the rear tractor.

George said:
When General Electric was in Muncie they used these about 4 times a year.

They haul really big heavy power transformers - - - the back truck is in nutral and towed unless a push is needed to get over a hill - - - -most of the time it is unhooked and just follows.

When they move around here they have at least 2 State troopers in the front and back and radio ahead and local police and sheriffs block roads as they go by.

The biggest one I have seen come thru had 28 axels not counting the rear tractor.

Thanks for the answer to the question, George. It looked like a complicated something-or-other, but now it is nice to know it's function.

leanin' H said:
That there is what you would technically call a thingamajig holder upper! :D

H I sure wish you would get your computer at home up and going. I miss your pictures. Your kids gotta be gettin big since the last time you posted any pics of them.

The haul some pretty big oilfield stuff on those units. I have a friend who drives one. He has shown me some with two trucks on the front and two on the back all driving all the time. First one steers and he is miked into the other drivers to keep in sync. I can't remember who steers the trailer. It takes a fair bit of time to pick the route and get permits. A power line crew usually has to be in service as well. The bright side is that it doesn't fit on the weigh scale.

We see these rigs come through once in a while. It seems like they are always trying to break a new world record with the equipment they are hauling up to the oil sands at Fort MacMurray. It is pretty impressive sight.
I imagine it would be tough to change a spare tire or get out of the ditch if you happened to have an error. :shock:

Here is a rig that was hauling waste material out of a nuclear plant just up the road from where I work
4e38ae263f60f_image.jpg

VCC said:
Here is a rig that was hauling waste material out of a nuclear plant just up the road from where I work
4e38ae263f60f_image.jpg
Plan ahead and get cones out to take a leak.

LazyWP said:
leanin' H said:
That there is what you would technically call a thingamajig holder upper! :D

H I sure wish you would get your computer at home up and going. I miss your pictures. Your kids gotta be gettin big since the last time you posted any pics of them.

The home computer is smoked! When we sell calves this fall, we plan to get a new one. Thankfully i can scratch my ranchers itch once in awhile at work or I'd be awful itchy! I appreciate all of everyone's pictures and updates and hope to be back amongst ya soon with some of my own. Our kids are growing too fast and we've had plenty of adventures i wish i could'a shared with ya'll. What an amazing place that let's us all get a small glimpse of this big old world and makes friends we've never met!

Imagine building one of those that be an awesome project especially the day it rolled out of the shop.

There's a similar rig parked in my little town tonight. It's got some type of structural steel assembly hanging from its beams. Shoulda had my camera. : :(

Some sheep brain looked at mapquest & decided the most direct route to the oil sands from the coast was over Lolo Pass. I cannot recall how long the loads are.

Guess they should have done a little more research.

Latest posts