• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Long road ahead?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bill

Reaction score
The Long Road Ahead

NY Times Editorial Shows Major Media Susceptible to Misinformation
Colorado Springs, CO Aug. 26, 2005

Is the New York Times laying low because they know they've been caught misleading the public? Did they figure out they had been suckered overmuch by their activist sources?

Did the Times editorial department finally do some research after they wrote their BSE editorial and discover the accurate facts?

There is no way to tell, since the Times has been silent. Silent, that is, since they ran a huge house editorial ("Safer Beef," Aug. 13, 2005) that did a superb job of providing inaccurate information on BSE in the U.S., assailed the safety of the U. S. beef supply with all the breathlessness of the National Enquirer and even invented a new indecipherable but inflammatory expression for the beef cow.

The Times has published none of the letters we're sure they received from outraged cattlemen and beef organizations – of which the AFF was one – and not agreed to any organization's requests for meetings, as far as we know.

But the whole episode is a perfect illustration of the constant threats the beef industry faces and the battles we have to fight. The Times didn't suddenly wake up 20 months after the discovery of the first BSE cow in the U.S. and decide the sky was falling in regard to BSE. Claims that meatpackers use "dangerous methods that other countries ban," USDA does "not require enough testing," that cattle blood is "suspected of being able to carry infection," and "The riskiest meats are ground beef, hot dogs, taco fillings and pizza toppings – the things children love," are false claims, concepts and words directly taken from activist allegations used to attack the U.S. beef industry. Notice they managed to work in fear of the unknown, loathing for meatpackers, government mismanagement and threats to our children's safety in just those few words.

Then they managed to work in European superiority ("European countries test all animals over a certain age"), global superiority ("More than 60 countries have completely or partly banned American beef) and the idea that American beef is not safe ("no reason to feel confident about the American beef supply," "boneless steaks and roasts are probably safe to eat," and, since the USDA can't do it, a call for more government (a food safety agency separate from USDA). Do you suppose they would endorse Carol Tucker Foreman or perhaps Patty Lovera to head up that agency? Lovera, in case you're not familiar with the name, is the person in charge of Public Citizen's USDA attack department and much of the Times editorial reads like one of her speeches.

Groups like Nader's Public Citizen (PC), Consumer's Union (CU), and Carol Tucker Foreman's Consumer Federation of America (CFA), Global Resource Action Council for the Environment (GRACE) and a host of others constantly pound the media with these concepts and charges. They relish labeling cattle as "cannibals" as the Times did for feeding meat and bone meal in years past. But the Times may have crafted a semi-original expression on its own. We hadn't heard about the "industrial cow" before.

This kind of stuff is standard fare for extremist activist organizations. And they attempt to convince the public every day that food production is a vast conspiracy to poison them. Before 2003, it was not the kind of lurid fiction and distortion heard from cattlemen's organizations. But if you've read the legal brief filed by R-CALF in Billings District Court, you'll recognize all kinds of the same thinking, phraseology and claims in that document echoed in the Times editorial. And R-CALF has repeatedly expressed pride in its association with groups like PC, CFA and CU. The LAG* (Liberal Activist Groups) are proud of themselves.

We wouldn't be a bit surprised, if the Times ever deigns to discuss the episode, if its editors said something like, "But there is a serious difference of opinion within your own industry about whether U.S. beef is safe! R-CALF claims that it is not, agrees with our sources that say it is not and at least one district court judge agreed. We have plenty of justification for our opinion that cattlemen and the USDA is lying to us."

The activists on the fringes have had their screeches bolstered by a group of cattlemen and at least one activist judge. That can't help but cause the industry trouble for years to come.

There is a demonstrated silver lining to this incident. Cattlemen and beef industry organizations have established over time a rapport with real consumers, the foodservice industry and responsible media. That stands us in good stead when misinformation, idiot activism and rampant pandering to extremists by some media outlet threatens to severely damage or destroy our industry. The beef industry can thank its lucky stars for the cattlemen and beef industry people who years ago began investing time and money in trade associations like NCBA, the predecessor Meat Board/BIC, the state beef councils, the USMEF, state cattlemen's associations and a host of responsible organizations to disseminate facts and establish relationships and reputations.

*Fringe activist groups like Public Citizen (Ralph Nader), Consumer's Union, Consumer Federation of America (Carol Tucker Foreman), R- CALF, Organization for Competitive Markets (OCM), Western Organization of Resource Councils (WORC), Greenpeace, Global Resource Council for the Environment (GRACE) and others opposing mainstream, free-market, capitalist agriculture.

Bill said:
The Long Road Ahead

NY Times Editorial Shows Major Media Susceptible to Misinformation
Colorado Springs, CO Aug. 26, 2005

Is the New York Times laying low because they know they've been caught misleading the public? Did they figure out they had been suckered overmuch by their activist sources?

Did the Times editorial department finally do some research after they wrote their BSE editorial and discover the accurate facts?

There is no way to tell, since the Times has been silent. Silent, that is, since they ran a huge house editorial ("Safer Beef," Aug. 13, 2005) that did a superb job of providing inaccurate information on BSE in the U.S., assailed the safety of the U. S. beef supply with all the breathlessness of the National Enquirer and even invented a new indecipherable but inflammatory expression for the beef cow.

The Times has published none of the letters we're sure they received from outraged cattlemen and beef organizations – of which the AFF was one – and not agreed to any organization's requests for meetings, as far as we know.

But the whole episode is a perfect illustration of the constant threats the beef industry faces and the battles we have to fight. The Times didn't suddenly wake up 20 months after the discovery of the first BSE cow in the U.S. and decide the sky was falling in regard to BSE. Claims that meatpackers use "dangerous methods that other countries ban," USDA does "not require enough testing," that cattle blood is "suspected of being able to carry infection," and "The riskiest meats are ground beef, hot dogs, taco fillings and pizza toppings – the things children love," are false claims, concepts and words directly taken from activist allegations used to attack the U.S. beef industry. Notice they managed to work in fear of the unknown, loathing for meatpackers, government mismanagement and threats to our children's safety in just those few words.

Then they managed to work in European superiority ("European countries test all animals over a certain age"), global superiority ("More than 60 countries have completely or partly banned American beef) and the idea that American beef is not safe ("no reason to feel confident about the American beef supply," "boneless steaks and roasts are probably safe to eat," and, since the USDA can't do it, a call for more government (a food safety agency separate from USDA). Do you suppose they would endorse Carol Tucker Foreman or perhaps Patty Lovera to head up that agency? Lovera, in case you're not familiar with the name, is the person in charge of Public Citizen's USDA attack department and much of the Times editorial reads like one of her speeches.

Groups like Nader's Public Citizen (PC), Consumer's Union (CU), and Carol Tucker Foreman's Consumer Federation of America (CFA), Global Resource Action Council for the Environment (GRACE) and a host of others constantly pound the media with these concepts and charges. They relish labeling cattle as "cannibals" as the Times did for feeding meat and bone meal in years past. But the Times may have crafted a semi-original expression on its own. We hadn't heard about the "industrial cow" before.

This kind of stuff is standard fare for extremist activist organizations. And they attempt to convince the public every day that food production is a vast conspiracy to poison them. Before 2003, it was not the kind of lurid fiction and distortion heard from cattlemen's organizations. But if you've read the legal brief filed by R-CALF in Billings District Court, you'll recognize all kinds of the same thinking, phraseology and claims in that document echoed in the Times editorial. And R-CALF has repeatedly expressed pride in its association with groups like PC, CFA and CU. The LAG* (Liberal Activist Groups) are proud of themselves.

We wouldn't be a bit surprised, if the Times ever deigns to discuss the episode, if its editors said something like, "But there is a serious difference of opinion within your own industry about whether U.S. beef is safe! R-CALF claims that it is not, agrees with our sources that say it is not and at least one district court judge agreed. We have plenty of justification for our opinion that cattlemen and the USDA is lying to us."

The activists on the fringes have had their screeches bolstered by a group of cattlemen and at least one activist judge. That can't help but cause the industry trouble for years to come.

There is a demonstrated silver lining to this incident. Cattlemen and beef industry organizations have established over time a rapport with real consumers, the foodservice industry and responsible media. That stands us in good stead when misinformation, idiot activism and rampant pandering to extremists by some media outlet threatens to severely damage or destroy our industry. The beef industry can thank its lucky stars for the cattlemen and beef industry people who years ago began investing time and money in trade associations like NCBA, the predecessor Meat Board/BIC, the state beef councils, the USMEF, state cattlemen's associations and a host of responsible organizations to disseminate facts and establish relationships and reputations.

*Fringe activist groups like Public Citizen (Ralph Nader), Consumer's Union, Consumer Federation of America (Carol Tucker Foreman), R- CALF, Organization for Competitive Markets (OCM), Western Organization of Resource Councils (WORC), Greenpeace, Global Resource Council for the Environment (GRACE) and others opposing mainstream, free-market, capitalist agriculture.

Thanks for an accurate and true post.

Sandhusker said:
This clown is calling others fringe ativist groups? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another discrediting comment from Sandhusker, prove the writer wrong if you want to discredit him that will go alot farther than your name calling.

Tam said:
Sandhusker said:
This clown is calling others fringe ativist groups? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another discrediting comment from Sandhusker, prove the writer wrong if you want to discredit him that will go alot farther than your name calling.
For months Sandhusker has sniped about and tried to discredit Dittmer and not one single time has he brought anything forward to prove Dittmer wrong. :roll:

For months Sandhusker has sniped about and tried to discredit Dittmer and not one single time has he brought anything forward to prove Dittmer wrong.

MY ARSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: I've done it time and time again! Go back and do some research! It's all in the archives. It's like "Ground Hog Day" with you. You post something from this idiot (excuse me, the "foundation"), I point out what the "foundation" really is, you ask me to point out an inaccuracy, I do, and the same thing repeats in a month or so. :roll: If I rememeber correctly, I even predicted someone would say the same dang thing you just did.

Sandhusker said:
For months Sandhusker has sniped about and tried to discredit Dittmer and not one single time has he brought anything forward to prove Dittmer wrong.

MY ARSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: I've done it time and time again! Go back and do some research! It's all in the archives. It's like "Ground Hog Day" with you. You post something from this idiot (excuse me, the "foundation"), I point out what the "foundation" really is, you ask me to point out an inaccuracy, I do, and the same thing repeats in a month or so. :roll: If I rememeber correctly, I even predicted someone would say the same dang thing you just did.

I don't think so. You just waste our time telling us to look back cause you never found anything on Dittmer.

Sandhusker said:

MY GOD!!!!!!!! You must be psychic :!: Or are those little voices starting to get to you? :lol: :lol: Yes you have pointed out what YOU believe the AFF really is but you have never once proven Dittmer to be wrong in his comments regarding BSE.

Bill said:
Sandhusker said:

MY GOD!!!!!!!! You must be psychic :!: Or are those little voices starting to get to you? :lol: :lol: Yes you have pointed out what YOU believe the AFF really is but you have never once proven Dittmer to be wrong in his comments regarding BSE.

I remember very well posting some absolute BS that he said about R-CALF and what they wanted, then SH asked me to prove R-CALF didn't say those things! How do you prove somebody didn't say something? You guys are a pair.

I am totally comfortable labeling this guy a paid hack. SH likes to throw around the deceiver label like water on a fire - how honest is it calling yourself a "foundation" when the "foundation" consists of one person! That's your first red flag!

Sandhusker said:
Bill said:
Sandhusker said:

I remember very well posting some absolute BS that he said about R-CALF and what they wanted, then SH asked me to prove R-CALF didn't say those things! How do you prove somebody didn't say something? You guys are a pair.

I am totally comfortable labeling this guy a paid hack. SH likes to throw around the deceiver label like water on a fire - how honest is it calling yourself a "foundation" when the "foundation" consists of one person! That's your first red flag!
Paid hack? I suppose. Is that any different than yourself or are you self-employed? Or even better yet, how about LEO. There is a good comparison. Both self-appointed bearers of the flag claiming to inform and educate their "Buleeeevers" with their hands open to scoop up the odd donation. Yep 'ol Leo the Lyin' he'd fit the paid hack label to a T.

FYI I'd give my money to Dittmer. At least he seems to have vision and morals.

I like R-CALF because they are all cattlemen!

These are the cattlemen that are willing and enthusiastic when they bend their neighbors over a barrel.

They are not true "men" in any sense of the word,

Real cattlemen are honest, even if they are rubbing their last two dimes together.

Latest posts