• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Looking for a new guard dog ????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jessie

Reaction score
So we are looking for a new guard dog as our dog at present is getting way up there. Hard of hearing and getting stiff. A german shepard who has been the babysitter/bud for the past 11 years. Time for him to retire and now he just follows the husband around be it walking back and forth behind the tractor or what ever.
Was wondering if any one had any thoughts on the different breeds out there. Am leaning towards another shepard pure breed.
The reason for guard dog and not so much cow dog(border collie) is have some trouble at times with some of the people on the reserve out here.
What are those big old hound dogs like?
Grrreeeat now I've got the beverly hillbillies theme song in my head :?
Ideas.....input....

Spelling never counts on Ranchersnet, thank goodness.
It is part of the amusement factor seeing how we sound-out words.

Went to our book group last night and while talking about candy we were all trying to remember how we pronounced and spelled "lik-rish" :!:

Lichorish?

Hate the stuff so there's no need for me to know how to spell that werd.
Just in case ya'll aint figgered it out yet..I type like I talk. My Texas accent comes out real strong in my typin.

When I was still werkin it was a major undertakin to type up a letter that didnt sound so hicky. Never put any g's on the ing....spell check hassa hayday with my typin.

As for a guard dog.....best one we ever had was a cow dog that was part red heeler part mut. He wouldn't let anyone outta their vehicle unless we told him it was ok. Hubby's cousin came over and she refused to even try to git outta her car...daggum dog pulled the trim offa the side of it before we could git outside to tell him it was ok that she got out.

Only thing you need, Jessie, is an AttackKitty Haven't had a bit of stuffed-animal trouble since "Marvin" arrived :D
IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

Dixie/Dusty's predecessor was a great guard dog. A little too good, I might add.

I brought home a page from the calendar, "You know you're a redneck when..."
This particular one read,
"You might be a redneck when
YOUR DOG HAS A CRIMINAL RECORD!"

Yea, she had a reputation as a guard dog; a biting guard dog. I am glad we never got in trouble over her. I always wanted another one, but I told my husband if people drive up and see two of them, they would say something like, "Oh, no, not another one."

She was absolutely the best dog we ever had. Tough, smart, loyal. and protective. But she didn't like, especially farmers. The boys that worked for us that rode horses and wore spurs she never minded. And if she knew you when she was a pup, you were fine. All others, look out. The little gal that broke some colts here and came out every day was scared to death of that dog and the dog knew it. So Amy would call up on the cell phone and tell us she was here so we would come out and get the dog. That is a little too radical of a guard dog. I hated it that she didn't like Amy and Amy was as 'cowboy' as they come.

Dixie/Dusty likes everyone. She was barking when people drove up, but the other dog doesn't bark, so I guess she decided she didn't need to either, because she quit. I sure like a dog that barks when someone drives up, but I probably just as soon not have a GUARD dog.

My dogs bark and sound the alarm when folks drive up but the onky way they will bite is if you have a bisket in your pocket and they try to get it. :lol:

If you want to use the advantage of surprise and the unusual, you could talk my daughter about her Muscovy drake. I would love to see her sell him. He is the meanest old bird I have ever seen. He has be known to chase grown men out of our yard.

All the hissing and beating he does with his wings is quite un-nerving. More than one person has left with bruised shins! How would you go about reporting to the cops that "I was attacked by a guard duck"? They would think you've been drinking too much.

O.K. it was just a suggestion.

LOL.....Thanks everyone for the ribbim bout my spellin handicap.
NR....that is too freakin cute. Luv the pics.

I am concerned about a mean dog but ...these guys were not even scared off from the shots . In to the air of course. They sat around for a while. No damage this time but man I hate the idea of sitting there alone at night while hubby is out in the field and they come back. The place is empty. So don't understand the point. Did I mention the RCMP caught one the other baled. RCMP said that it was a good thing hubby didn't go over as he is a mean son of a bitch....ggrrrrrreeeeat.

Have a crusty ole mare maybe she would work.As for the duck huummm
they might just think hell ... Dinner time. Scared of any bird/duck/goose
As a kid Grandparents had a mean goose would chase me around the yard and bite my a$$

Jessie said:
LOL.....Thanks everyone for the ribbim bout my spellin handicap.
NR....that is too freakin cute. Luv the pics.

I am concerned about a mean dog but ...these guys were not even scared off from the shots . In to the air of course. They sat around for a while. No damage this time but man I hate the idea of sitting there alone at night while hubby is out in the field and they come back. The place is empty. So don't understand the point. Did I mention the RCMP caught one the other baled. RCMP said that it was a good thing hubby didn't go over as he is a mean son of a bitch....ggrrrrrreeeeat.

Have a crusty ole mare maybe she would work.As for the duck huummm
they might just think hell ... Dinner time. Scared of any bird/duck/goose
As a kid Grandparents had a mean goose would chase me around the yard and bite my not nice
How about this?

A Gander can be one wicked Goose,
A "Bad Guy" he will not let loose,
He'll pinch 'em and hold,
"Til they start to Mold,
-then you drag 'em to the ol' Calaboose!

Jessie:"...these guys were not even scared off from the shots . In to the air of course. They sat around for a while. No damage this time but man I hate the idea of sitting there alone at night while hubby is out in the field and they come back. The place is empty. So don't understand the point. Did I mention the RCMP caught one the other baled. RCMP said that it was a good thing hubby didn't go over as he is a mean son of a bitch....ggrrrrrreeeeat "

Sounds like you do need a very protective growling man-eater of a dog.
Plus an alarm system of some type. I hope you find the perfect answer for some peace of mind. One of our sons would say have a gun in a couple rooms...that was from living in Texas for awhile. (one for you, Haymaker! :p )

Jessie said:
awww for peter pan's sakes is that the correct spelling for shepard?

Faster horses said:
Nope.

And it's not the correct spelling for 'guard' either.

But a dog won't mind if you can't spell. :wink:

nr said:
Spelling never counts on Ranchersnet, thank goodness.
It is part of the amusement factor seeing how we sound-out words.

Went to our book group last night and while talking about candy we were all trying to remember how we pronounced and spelled "lik-rish" :!:

Here on Ranchers.Net we even invent completely new words. It's prolly just teh cowboy way. :wink:

guns under the beds. Which I don't like as we have ppl with kids come to visit. Not loaded but still bothers me. And ta boot yakkin to my gal pal who's squeeze is a cop and even if they break into your place with you there you can't use firearms to protect yourself.....So do ya think me standin there all of 5"3...(this includes my hair) hands on hips saying listen up "ya git out of here" would do much......am thinking not.
Before I get the low down on the fire arms issue I understand as it could turn around on a person but sheesh just frustrating. Even if your dog bites them they said they would have to take the dog...I mean what the heck is that.....
Dog! what dog
Or in Maple leaf's case Duck what duck :lol:
I ain't seen no flippin duck
Okay rant over

And just so ya all know I fixdid the spelling mestakes okay some of em.

Ya ever hear of an English Sheppard? I guess they used to be popular, and are a foundation to most cur dog lines. An English Sheppard would be a good protector and a solid citizen. If you just want mean, a cur/catahoula cross will skin a razorback, but you can't have much company

Jesse, I think your spelling bothered you more than it bothered us.

And Brad S., I agree that English Shepherds are excellent dogs. I don't know why we don't hear more about them. I looked them up on the internet awhile back when we were looking for a dog. When we retire, I might consider getting into breeding them, just because I think they have a lot to offer.

We had Bob-tailed English Shepherds years ago. They are one of my favorites.

Latest posts