• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Looking for a tractor

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PureCountry

Reaction score
Hi folks, been pretty busy and away from the forum for a while, hope everyone is doing well. I'm looking for a utility size tractor, 50-80hp, loader, etc. Just need something for moving a bale here and there, plowing snow, pulling a post pounder and general chore work. I'm looking at keeping the price under $20,000 if possible. I've found some JD 2130, 4020, 1450 and various other older models. The problem is I'm not very familiar with these models. Does anyone have experience with them or suggest what they think is a really solid tractor, JD or otherwise, in that $20k range? Thanks in advance.

It's pretty hard to beat a 4020 power shift for an all around chore tractor, even if you could buy 3 Russian outfits for the same dough. There's a reason why they're still popular even at 50 years old.

Been looking at those and tossing it around. In my budget I could get a little more horsepower with an older tractor, like the 4020 or the blue Ford 8210 or 7610's, or go with a newer smaller utility unit. Newer utility tractors are also a little more user friendly for the Wife to drive once in a while too, as far as shifting, hydraulics, etc.

Bigger options:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/saskatoon/ford-8210-tractor/1146579514

Utility options:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/edmonton/john-deere-1450-tractor-and-attachments/1144719086?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Proven options:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/calgary/1972-john-deere-4020-158-loader/1148545748?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If you are looking at older JD's check out the 40 to 55 series. The 20 series have a major challenge in if it stalls you loose all brakes and steering due to loss of hydraulic power. The mannhiem (german built) motors are superior to the american ones in the in 40 to 55 series in my opinion. I really like my 2940 and 2950 JD's. I would like to have 2955 mfwd with cab and loader but have not found one at an acceptable price.

Faster horses said:
We had a 3155 MFWD and loved it. Never had a problem with it even tho it had a dry clutch. We would own another if we needed one.
Good luck!

I'll second the 55 series and like the 00 series even better. Try to find a 62 or 6400, they can be found for a touch over $20,000.00

The 64xx models of JD tractors seem to have computer challenges in this area. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy for a tractor.

7X10 series Deere very hard to beat but might be bigger and more expensive than what you're in the market for.

Our new iron came in last week - - - It took a full day on each of the old tractors to get all the computers out - - - will probably take 2 days per to get them reinstalled. My foster son works for John Deere and lives rent free taking care of our equipment in the evenings. He does great work paying attention to detail allowing us to get top dollar on our trade-ins. Traded the old 8650 off so the only articulated tractor we still have is a Case 9170 - - - raw horsepower!

It will take me some getting used to with the new ones but once the computers are programmed life is sure easier!

With mechanical front wheel drive the dealer assures me I will not miss the older tractors - - - main reason for trading is the new planter and drill require much more hydraulic capacity than the old ones could handle. Both of these have 5 sets of remotes, auto steer, flotation seating . Real nice!

This will pull the planter.

Don't need quite as much power for the drill - - - still has all the bells and whistles.

We try to have enough equipment to do what is needed in 10 days - - - often that is about all the good weather you get and if you are late in your work the yields will suffer considerably!

With the deal Deere struck with "Beck's Seed" a 3 year lease with 900 hours included on the 7250 R was only $3,000 per year and full warranty $15.00 per hour if we go over the 900 hours - - - the 8235 R is only $3,500 per year and $20.00 per hour if we go over.

Still have a 4650 in excellent shape as well as a 4020 we just put new clutches in and an old Deutz for old jobs. But when we have to roll we have to be able to!

We have to be able to get around 120 acres of corn in the ground each day and not let the 120 acres of soybeans interfere. We strive to have all 2,300 acres planted in 10 days so that we have a chance of top yields. That is why we run 2 combines in the fall with a 1,100 bu grain cart and 3 semis - - - we try to harvest as fast as possible when the conditions are right.

Horsepower is only part of the game now - - - you need top notch electronics and hydraulics to work with the new super accurate planters. I still remember when a second hydraulic circuit was considered extra. Now I climb in and see 5 monitors - - - the computers will turn off one row at a time 15" from the already planted row to eliminate over planting the "point rows" - - - steer the tractor, raise and lower the planter 15" from the end row. This might not sound like much but it will greatly increase the yield and lower the input cost. Same thing with the new computerized sprayer - - - it reduced our spray by about 10% and increased our yield at the same time!

Latest posts