• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Lost a Calf Last Night

Help Support Ranchers.net:

North Ridge Ranching

Reaction score
I somehow misplaced a calf last night. It was there in the morning at chores and gone in the evening. All ended well though.

I had a second calver BREAK OUT through a gate I left open during chores yesterday morning. I was perturbed and proceeded to put her back in. She had just calved the day before. Apperently I missed the fact that she had took her calf with her when she BROKE out. That night I found her bawling by the gate and I couldn't find her calf. That's when I clued in and thought she must of brought her calf out there with her. I figured I would just let her out again this morning and see where she went. My mother, who says she hates the cows but we know different, went on the hunt and found the calf nestled up against the bales before I had to let her out to do the searching for me. Momma and son are back together and doing fine now, as for the other Momma and son, well we will see how that goes! :lol:

I should of never wrote this on here. Just got done checking and found a heifer that calved last night with a dead calf. Dad said she calved before dark and the calf was trying to get up. By 3:00 am, he said the calf was stone dead. First one we lost since spring of 2010.

Karma kicked me in the a$$ this time.

North Ridge Ranching said:
I should of never wrote this on here. Just got done checking and found a heifer that calved last night with a dead calf. Dad said she calved before dark and the calf was trying to get up. By 3:00 am, he said the calf was stone dead. First one we lost since spring of 2010.

Good thing you hadn't yet put a tag in the calf that was a twin. Things will work out; don't worry. :)

Soapweed said:
North Ridge Ranching said:

Good thing you hadn't yet put a tag in the calf that was a twin. Things will work out; don't worry. :)

Yes, it looks like the no name twin will get an 11X tag. Heifer really wants a calf so i think the grafting should go good.

Latest posts