• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Lots O Water

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Aaron

Reaction score
Got back from Winnipeg tonight, around 12:30 in the morning. Left around 10 this morning. It was supposed to rain in our neck of the woods, but I figured it was going to be a steady light rain. Come back into town to find water all over the place and some major lakes in some areas. Some driveways washed out, and the entrance to our road from the highway had about 3-4 inches over it. Washed out a portion of our road, so we had to do some backtracking and go around the washed out portions. Raingauge shows 3.5 inches over about 14 hours. Must have came down hard and fast at one point to accumulate so much in some areas. :shock:

Washouts not even nearly as bad as in 2001 (13 inches over 2 days) and 2002 (18 inches over 3 days). Should post some pictures of yesterday's washout's as well as a few years back. Later today I guess. :)

Damn beavers. Probably wouldn't have the latest washout problems if the municipality had being doing their job and working with us to blow dams. The neighbours have been shooting beavers non-stop since early May. :D

P5260001.jpg

P5260004.jpg

P5260005.jpg

P5260002.jpg

P5260003.jpg

You can see how high the water was. Made a portion of the road into a real rugged washboard....Grader has tried to level it ouit already this morning. Tossed a lot of old logs onto the neighbours fence. Glad I don't have to clean it off! Least this pair of culverts didn't wash out this year. Normally, this creek has 1/4 of the water that is shown. And it had went down alot from earlier in the morning.

Aaron said:
Got back from Winnipeg tonight, around 12:30 in the morning. Left around 10 this morning. It was supposed to rain in our neck of the woods, but I figured it was going to be a steady light rain. Come back into town to find water all over the place and some major lakes in some areas. Some driveways washed out, and the entrance to our road from the highway had about 3-4 inches over it. Washed out a portion of our road, so we had to do some backtracking and go around the washed out portions. Raingauge shows 3.5 inches over about 14 hours. Must have came down hard and fast at one point to accumulate so much in some areas. :shock:

Washouts not even nearly as bad as in 2001 (13 inches over 2 days) and 2002 (18 inches over 3 days). Should post some pictures of yesterday's washout's as well as a few years back. Later today I guess. :)

Damn beavers. Probably wouldn't have the latest washout problems if the municipality had being doing their job and working with us to blow dams. The neighbours have been shooting beavers non-stop since early May. :D
Perhaps you folks need to bring the old 1830's Beaver Trappers back, and let them sell their "plews". That would stop your problems - save the trees at the same time. Your environmentalists should "Love" that!- - -'course - you might have disastrous floods too. :roll: I guess you can't win. It's either not enough - or too much!

That's the spring sport up here hunting beavers for bear bait-they are quite the little buggers to control-I've loved their dams in the drought when they held water in my drainages-damn plow jockeys sneak in and tear the dams out .

Wish the friggin' pelts were worth something. Not alot of mainstay trappers left in this area...maybe 1/2 dozen?, but alot of hobby guys get going when the money gets good. If I had a little extra money, I would offer a few extra bucks for every beaver they got on my place. About 3-4 good sized dams within a couple miles of our place, so a guy could make some good catches for awhile.

Don't worry about the environmentalists too much around here. They keep to themselves. It wouldn't be smart for anybody to start yelling at me to stop hurting the innocent beavers when I am swinging a pick at a dam and have a shovel nearby. :twisted:

Latest posts