• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Lots of things cause brain cell death, Mike!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Kathy

Reaction score
PCBs, fungicide make brain cells vulnerable for Parkinson's
Feb 10, 2005,

17:48http://www.rxpgnews.com/research/aging/parkinsons/article_334.shtml

By Pankaj, US Correspondent, University of Rochester scientists investigating the link between PCBs, pesticides and Parkinson's disease demonstrated new and intricate reactions that occur in certain brain cells, making them more vulnerable to injury after exposures.

In two papers published in the journal NeuroToxicology (Dec. 2004 and Feb. 2005), the group describes how polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) disrupt dopamine neurons, which are the cells that degenerate during the course of Parkinson's disease. Researchers also show that low levels of maneb, a fungicide commonly used in farming, can injure the antioxidant system in those same types of cells. Environmental contaminants might make dopamine cells more vulnerable to damage from normal aging, infection, or subsequent exposure to pollutants, researchers say.

The investigation is part of a nationwide race to better understand every aspect of Parkinson's disease, which affects up to 1 million Americans. It is a progressive neurological disorder that occurs when certain nerve cells in the substantia nigra region of the brain die or can no longer produce the brain chemical dopamine. A lack of dopamine is what causes patients to experience tremors, stiffness in the limbs and trunk, and impaired movement or balance.

In the 1990s scientists reported that the brains of Parkinson's patients contained elevated levels of PCBs and certain pesticides. While researchers believe that genetics, the aging process and exposure to toxicants all play a role in the development of Parkinson's, the group led by Lisa Opanashuk, Ph.D., is focused on environmental exposures. The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences is funding the work.

"If we can identify the mechanisms by which PCBs or pesticides perturb dopamine neuron function, it may lead to the development of therapies that can prevent, slow or stop the progression of Parkinson's," says Opanashuk, an assistant professor of Environmental Medicine.

PCBs create havoc in the body's cellular system by producing free radicals, which leads to a process known as oxidative stress (OS). Oxidative stress is thought to be one of the main causes of cell degeneration. Normally, antioxidants can balance the damage done by OS. But toxic pesticide exposure, combined with the normal aging process, shifts the equilibrium toward oxidative stress and neurodegeneration.

The Rochester studies demonstrate, for the first time, the intricate OS and antioxidant responses to PCBs in dopamine neurons. Investigators treated dopamine cells and other brain cells with PCBs and documented the activation of oxidative-stress related pathways. Further research will evaluate how PCBs become risk factors for disease.

PCBs, used as industrial coolants and lubricants, were banned in 1977 but remain widespread in the environment due to their improper disposal. They linger in the food chain, particularly in wild and farmed salmon and other fish. PCBs accumulate in the body in fat and brain cells and other tissues. The potential adverse health effects of PCBs are dependent upon many factors, such as the levels of exposure, the toxicities of individual chemicals present in any given mixture, and their interactive properties.

Pesticides such as maneb remain in farmed soil for 20-75 days following application and can be found on produce for more than three weeks, even after washing, according to researchers. Until now, the effect of maneb on oxidative stress responses in dopamine neurons was unknown.

But Opanashuk's group shows that just as in exposure to PCBs, cells treated with low levels of maneb also undergo changes that disturb the balance in the antioxidant defense system. Another concern is whether maneb causes more damage when people are exposed in combination with other pesticides, which occurs in rural communities. Opanashuk hopes the research will lead to developing safety guidelines and determining more closely the role that maneb plays in neurological diseases.

The fungicide Maneb mentioned in the above article which links it to Parkinson's disease and the changes in anti-oxidant activities,

is a manganese based fungicide!!!

Now that the USA has its first "reportedly" home grown case, will any of you actually start to look at what is causing the brain damage in TSEs? Or will we continue to put all our efforts into test kits?

The Calgary Vacci-test kit finds a protein marker 14-3-3 that identifies cell death has taken place from whatever cause.

What if the causes are environmental toxins like heavy metals, do you want to know?, or are you just happy to keep that cow out of the food chain and you could care less why she is sick?

Don't get too excited yet Kathy. This thing is going to have to cost somebody a few bucks before any questions are raised.

As long as the packing industry sees opportunity in BSE the wheels will grind slowly. If more drastic change were to occur that would cost our multinational hero's a buck or two you can bet that research into the truth behind the cause of BSE, rather than testing, would hasten.
:roll:

Kathy, In fact I am sure I caused some "Brain Cell Death" just the other night while drinking all that draft beer.

I plead innocent to the "conspiracies" of BSE causation and am playing the Haymaker game, keeping an open mind. But........keeping my hat on too!!

A lot of your stuff is over my head. Years of brain cell death........... :wink:

Have you called V.V.?

My questions are nonspecific to any person, even though I singled you out, Mike. Your earlier post (and past posts) show you're in tune with more than the average rancher.

Randy is probably right, but....

I won't stop at this just because there are few people looking for the actual cause. There are more and more scientists from indirect fields (besides BSE, TSEs that is) that are starting to hone in on environmental pollutants that have detrimental effects on our brain cells.

It use to be thought that brain cells could not regenerate. Very interesting data I saw on a DVD about "Glyconutrients", proved that stem cells from a male bone marrow donor, made it into the brain of a female recipient and reguvenated new brain cells (the male chromosome was marked for identification).

Glyconutrients look to be an extremely promising supplement that can aid all kinds of brain injuries/damage. Interestingly, the PrP healthy (prion) protein is a glycoprotein.

I use dietary supplements which include superoxide dismutase (a copper/zinc based enzyme). These antioxidants and enzymes which I am taking, are definitely helping me. The proof is in the results. The glyconutrient DVD I watched the other day, also showed amazing results in kids with attention deficit and fetal alcohol syndrome.

Why do you think the big pharmaceuticals are trying to take over the natural supplement business?

Kathy:"I use dietary supplements which include superoxide dismutase (a copper/zinc based enzyme). These antioxidants and enzymes which I am taking, are definitely helping me. The proof is in the results."

Helping you in what way?

Cliffy was explaining to Normy and the boys on cheers.....

In nature, the lion chases down it's prey. Mainly it catches the slowest and least intelligent, thus actually making its prey species stronger.

In the same way, when we drink beer, Brain Cells are killed off. Howevr, it's the slowest and least intelligent ones that get killed off first. That's why you always feel smarter after a few drinks :D

PPRM

PPRM said:
Cliffy was explaining to Normy and the boys on cheers.....

In nature, the lion chases down it's prey. Mainly it catches the slowest and least intelligent, thus actually making its prey species stronger.

In the same way, when we drink beer, Brain Cells are killed off. Howevr, it's the slowest and least intelligent ones that get killed off first. That's why you always feel smarter after a few drinks :D

PPRM

You think that is why Kathy singled me out to pick on? :wink: Because my brain is pickled? :???: :roll:

Latest posts