• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

"Lousy" Big 10??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24165885/ohio-state-is-great-but-lousy-big-ten-is-ruining-its-bcs-dreams

Ohio State getting left out because the whole Conference is so bad???? :???:

Have a few die-hard Buckeye friends, and even they admit that the Buck's strength of schedule eliminates them from the Championship game, unless they get some help. Kind of a shame that they could go undefeated for two seasons and not even be a contender, but their schedule is what it is.

That's because the pollsters have this misplaced infatuation with the SEC which reminds me a great deal of the press/Obama relationship. The reality of the situation is that the SEC isn't that good and the Big 10 isn't that bad.

This conversation about an undefeated team not being able to jump over other undefeated teams is old - same thing every year just with different teams.

I agree partially with sand husker. The sec is good but not as far above everyone else as espn thinks they are. I for one don't see how Alabama is such an overwhelming #1. I think oregons body of work so far is better. They haven't had a game where they won by less than 20. Florida state is even wacking people more impressive than Alabama. It seems to me that all they have to do is win a couple big games and boom they are in the national championship game without even a consideration that maybe there is another team more deserving. Heck last year they even lost one of their big games and still made it in the championship game. I'm not saying they aren't the best, but their body of work dosnt seem to explain why they are such an overwhelming #1.

the SEC has an edge, or HAD an edge...but selective scheduling and the media bias allows them to let a team "back in " to the title game....

last year EVERYONE was worried...Oregon, KSU, and Notre Lame all undefeated... what do we do??? thankfully, KSU and Oregon both screw up, allowing an SEC team to go to the title game.... in my opinion, a one loss Oregon was better than a undefeated Notre Lame........

KSu could have beaten the Irish, I have no doubts... BUT Oregon was hands down THE team last year...I hope to see them show case against a SEC team this year.... then I hope to see the Nike $$$$$ show up where it should not be, and the hammer come down.

2004 Auburn team deserved better

June, 11, 2010

By Chris Low | ESPN.com

The Associated Press says there won't be a revote for the 2004 national championship.

That's a shame, too.

I thought at the time that Auburn at least deserved a shot at the championship, and in many ways, was the best team in the country.

After all, go back and check how many times over the past two decades that an SEC team has run the table with an unblemished record.

The answer: Four.

Alabama did it in 1992 and again last season. Both were national championship clubs. Tennessee did it in 1998 and also won the national championship.

The fourth was Auburn in 2004.

It stung then that the Tigers didn't get piece of college football's top prize, and it stings even more now that the NCAA says Reggie Bush was ineligible and should have never been allowed to play on that 2004 USC team.

BCS chairman Bill Hancock says if the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee rules that the Trojans should vacate their 2004 national championship, there would be no BCS champion for that particular season.

That's about as hollow as it gets if you're walking in Auburn's shoes, especially when you consider how talented, how balanced and how deserving that 2004 team truly was.

ESPN.com recently took a look back at the past decade in college football, and I ranked that 2004 Auburn team No. 3 in the SEC behind Alabama's national championship team last season and Florida's national championship team in 2008.

You want talent?

The Tigers produced four first-round selections in the 2005 NFL draft, including three of the top nine picks. Eight of the 11 starters on defense went on to play in the NFL.

Only two teams in 2004 came within single digits of the Tigers, who beat five top-15 teams nationally on their way to a 13-0 finish. As a comparison, Alabama and Florida each beat just four top-15 teams the past two years en route to their national titles.

One of the things that will always stick out to me about that Auburn team was the incredible speed the Tigers stockpiled on defense. There weren't marquee names all over the place, but everybody could run.

Maybe that's why Auburn finished No. 1 nationally that season in scoring defense, allowing just 147 points in 13 games. That's an average of 11.3 points per game. The second-place team that season (Virginia Tech) was pushing 13 points per game (12.8).

Moreover, Auburn surrendered just four rushing touchdowns all season and didn't give up any touchdowns on the ground in the first eight games.

The other thing about the 2004 Tigers was how balanced they were. As good as they were on defense –- coordinated by current Auburn coach Gene Chizik -- they were equally potent on offense.

Auburn finished 18th nationally in scoring offense, and Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown combined for 2,078 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns. Quarterback Jason Campbell passed for 2,700 yards and 20 touchdowns.

The Tigers scored 30 points or more in nine of their 13 games.

Nonetheless, it's a team to remember and a team that deserved better than it received.

It did then and does so even more now.

The worst part of being part of the SEC is that you have to play each other and have a conference championship game. On a side note, ND had no business in the national championship game last year.

Out of the 15 TOTAL BCS National Championship Games:

9 - Won by the SEC

2 - Won by the Big 12

1 - Won by the Big East

1 - Won by the Big 10

1 - Won by the ACC

1- Won by the Pac 12 (has since been vacated but is arguably owned by the SEC)

On the other hand.
Losses in the BCSCG:

5 - Losses by the Big 12

2 - Losses by the Pac 12

2 - Losses by the Big 10

2 - Losses by the Big East

2 - Losses by the ACC

1 - Loss by the SEC

1- Loss by an Independent

End of debate. :wink:

Since we cannot see into the future, all we have is history to decide. Media bias getting them there does not play the games on the field. Were The SEC inferior teams, they may not have as many wins and would dang sure have more losses. Let me be clear, I hate some of the SEC Wins here but the facts are undeniable...........

I understand your point mike. But in the last 15 years the big east has a better win percentage in bowl games than the sec. Does that mean the big east is going to win higher percentage of bowl games than the sec this year? The fact is that teams from the past aren't playing this year. And if all three teams win out either fsu or Oregon is going to get hosed. If for no other reason but because espn loves the sec. Both of whom I believe could score 50 against Alabama.

3 M L & C said:
I understand your point mike. But in the last 15 years the big east has a better win percentage in bowl games than the sec. Does that mean the big east is going to win higher percentage of bowl games than the sec this year? The fact is that teams from the past aren't playing this year. And if all three teams win out either fsu or Oregon is going to get hosed. If for no other reason but because espn loves the sec. Both of whom I believe could score 50 against Alabama.

Overall total bowl wins I don't think would factor. First of all because the number of bowl games played by the SEC is generally more than the other conferences. They sometimes aren't equally matched either. Like playing the mighty Huskers in bowl games in the last two years. :lol:

ESPN probably likes them because they draw fans. And who draws fans? Winners..........

I love it when people say that past games shouldn't count towards the strength of a team but they rely on their own ancient history as their only claim to fame.

Face it, the SEC is on top now and the others are trying to catch up. It won't go on forever but it's fun while it lasts. Take a look at my numbers above again and the conclusion is clear.

I never said they don't have a couple three great teams every year. I said the conference as a whole is overrated. Also they make it seem like all those 9 championships were as lop sided as last years game. You can't take away that they have won nine but some were awfully close. Also sometimes they just don't get the right teams in there. I remember one year Oklahoma got destroyed and shouldn't have even been there. KSU had clobbered them in the big 12 champion game. I hope the playoff thing works out, but I see it going like it already is now. They will put a #4 team in sometimes that just dosnt belong. Also it wasn't number of wins but the winning percentage. If sec is such a huge massive beast over everyone else why do they only win 59 percent of their bowl games?

3 M L & C said:
I never said they don't have a couple three great teams every year. I said the conference as a whole is overrated. Also they make it seem like all those 9 championships were as lop sided as last years game. You can't take away that they have won nine but some were awfully close. Also sometimes they just don't get the right teams in there. I remember one year Oklahoma got destroyed and shouldn't have even been there. KSU had clobbered them in the big 12 champion game. I hope the playoff thing works out, but I see it going like it already is now. They will put a #4 team in sometimes that just dosnt belong. Also it wasn't number of wins but the winning percentage. If sec is such a huge massive beast over everyone else why do they only win 59 percent of their bowl games?
that Oklahomer team was propped up all season long by ESPN as "the greatest team to ever take the field" 35-7 was the final score.... OU took an early 7-0 lead, and never sniffed the goal line again..... and after the game, Stoops acted like he did not get beat.... Big Game Bob, has a habit of coming up short.

jigs said:
3 M L & C said:
that Oklahomer team was propped up all season long by ESPN as "the greatest team to ever take the field" 35-7 was the final score.... OU took an early 7-0 lead, and never sniffed the goal line again..... and after the game, Stoops acted like he did not get beat.... Big Game Bob, has a habit of coming up short.

So. How is it that Oklahoma went to the big dance instead of KSU? Didn't they know that Okla. always chokes? Everyone else does...............

3 M L & C said:

But can they stop bama from scoring 51?

loomixguy said:
The greatest Oklahoma team to ever take the field was coached by Barry Switzer, NOT Bob Stoops.

I would agree, but that year all ESPN did was have a circle jerk and claim this team was the best to ever step on the field...... the 35 -7 ass beating is still fun to watch

Latest posts