• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Lucky Break

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Maple Leaf Angus

Reaction score
Wowee! Just caught a great huge break this afternoon - or should I say breakout!

I was sitting in the house thinking about going out to feed hay to the girls when my sons came home (with the ever-present girls that seem to tag along quite a bit lately!). The youngest said," Dad did you know that there are a few cows wandering around the yard out there?"

Got changed, tore out the door in time to see the whole herd milling around the barn and heading out across the hay field in a string that was tearing past the house toward the road.

Do I head for the 4-wheeler or try calling them back? What the heck, why not try calling them; it is feeding time and they are hungry.

So I called my usual feeding time call and just as my sons came tearing out the door to help, the WHOLE HERD turned toward me and ran right across the lawn and back through the gate that they had worked off of its moorings, looking for me to feed them! WOW, what an experience, never had it so easy before when we had escapees.

I fed them a little extra tonite! :) :) :)

Maple Leaf Angus said:
I fed them a little extra tonite! :) :) :)

You are a lucky guy. The only thing is, those old cows are going to think, "Well, if he rewards us with extra feed because we get the gate off its hinges, let's try it again." They will be hard to keep in now. :wink:

Well Maple it is Sunday and Sunday is the day of rest!! Cows musta remembered that when you called em back 8)

If you treat the cows with kindness and respect normally you will get good results.

Latest posts