• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Lush!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin

Reaction score
We cut a hay field the last of August. It was the first cutting and was nothing but fescue straw. Fertilized after we cut it and got 10" of rain the next week or two. It is as lush as this field has ever been this time of year. I am turning some weanlings in this field next week.
100_3278.jpg

You should be ashamed for posting pics like that. I won't be able to get anything done all afternoon :wink:

Those beat my green grass pictures!!

Bet them weanlings will like that stuff.

I'm really sold on fescue and orchard grass...I seeded some hayfields to that and alfalfa a few years ago.... makes the best early and late pasture... Take one cutting and let it grow back for fall pasture...It loves the cool weather and really grows good in the spring and fall- is often already green underneath when the snow goes off...

Wish mine was that thick and lush tho.....

Oldtimer said:
I'm really sold on fescue and orchard grass...I seeded some hayfields to that and alfalfa a few years ago.... makes the best early and late pasture... Take one cutting and let it grow back for fall pasture...It loves the cool weather and really grows good in the spring and fall- is often already green underneath when the snow goes off...

Unless it gets down to 0 or below without a snow cover, our fescue will stay pretty green and grazable all winter. The last of Jan to the last of Feb sometimes it gets pretty brown but all in all it is a great (non summer) grass.

Red Robin said:
Oldtimer said:

Unless it gets down to 0 or below without a snow cover, our fescue will stay pretty green and grazable all winter. The last of Jan to the last of Feb sometimes it gets pretty brown but all in all it is a great (non summer) grass.

I would like some of that stuff too. Is that Kentucky 31 fescue?

Latest posts