• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MAD COW

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta Yo

Reaction score
Buncha MAD COWS out there, weaned the calves off the older cows, pretty noisy, calves going everywhere to get closer to their moms even though they can touch noses with them now... little PH's crawling everywhere and can't get any closer to their moms than where we put them in the first place. I sure hope I don't have a bunch of 'em in my yard tomorrow...won't be the first time... :evil: :evil: :evil:

I guess the only best way to wean is to have a LARGE corral for the cows, 3/4" metal (solid metal, 6' high). Put the calves in a small pasture with sheep fence 4 ft high with barbed wire on top. (Just being a smart a**).

I sure wish weaning was easy... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Yep, we are going to be weaning the oct and nov born calves here this month. Going to precondition and let them with the cows for a couple of wks. then wean. With it being dry (for this area) and the calf price - might not keep them. The fall born calves sure did great with the mild temps. Hanta Ho-I am sure your calves did good also. Do you sell or keep the calves awhile?

Hanta Yo...hope all your calves and cows are where they're suposed to be this morning...weaning is such a fun time, huh??? At least it looks like the weather is decent for you guys.

Have a great day!

Cheers--

TTB :wink:

PS If all is working right, make a short road trip southeast and have some dinner with us... :lol: :lol: :lol: lol

Could be worse, Hanta, I read where some of them old timers used to ketch every calf and put a blab on him until they quit followin' the cows and then they caught them and took the blabs back off! Woohoo, lots of ridin' and ropin', but I don't think it would help their daily gain! :wink:

Took daughter to bus earlier this morning, everybody is where they are supposed to be (knock on wood) but it's only just the beginning. We've found this next 24 hrs are the worst...

TTB, would love to make a road trip. Who would feed the cows? :(

Rowdy, depending on prices we may keep them through summer on grass or we may go ahead and sell them. We like to make sure our calves have all their shots before going anywhere, get a better price, they go right to the feed bunk at the feedlot.
They seemed to have done really well, once they're done bawling we'll work and weigh them.

Jinglebob, I don't think I would want to work those poor calves so often, either.

Have a great day everyone! :D

Those new plastic deals to stop the calves fromsucking work good-we sometimes put them in when we give our last set of prewean shots-they get weaned on their mommas with them.

Latest posts