• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Made My Day....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TimH

Reaction score
I've been busy cleaning my feedlot and spreading the manure on my fields. It's boring and I hate doing it,sun-up to sun-down for days on end....makes me cranky!!!
Today I stopped , to take a pis....I mean "go wee-wee" ,out where I was spreading, and there, right in front of me, was a PERFECT Indian flint scraper tool, laying right on top of the ground!!!!!
Made my Day!!! :lol:

It is about half the the size of a credit card and shaped almost like the blade of a small hatchet. I find a lot of flint chips and broken tools around here but it always makes my day when I find an arrowhead or whatever that is in perfect condition.

It don't take much to amuse me!!!! :lol: :wink:

I did that one time and found a deer fly. It ruined my day. It doesn't take much to amaze me. :shock: :eek: :mad: :evil: :wink: :!:

But congratulations on your find. It was one of those things that was meant to be. Those arrowheads were kind of the ancient version of a credit card. Stick them in the right spot, and 'poof' you had instant food credit.

How wonderful it sounds to live in an area where you can discover such artifacts! I'm envious.

Soapweed, is that how you once discovered a pisant?

TimH said:
I've been busy cleaning my feedlot and spreading the manure on my fields. It's boring and I hate doing it,sun-up to sun-down for days on end....makes me cranky!!!
Today I stopped , to take a pis....I mean "go wee-wee" ,out where I was spreading, and there, right in front of me, was a PERFECT Indian flint scraper tool, laying right on top of the ground!!!!!
Made my Day!!! :lol:

It is about half the the size of a credit card and shaped almost like the blade of a small hatchet. I find a lot of flint chips and broken tools around here but it always makes my day when I find an arrowhead or whatever that is in perfect condition.

It don't take much to amuse me!!!! :lol: :wink:

Youy might use that scraper to clean the crud out of your underwear Tim.
I mean Turd! :wink:

Cool, I took one of the hunters wives arrowheading last weekend. (It was on the neighbors - shh :wink: ) She found a pretty good one, I didn't find any. She was as excited about obsidian chips as she was the good point she found :?

Mike - "Youy might use that scraper to clean the crud out of your underwear Tim.
I mean Turd! "

Hey, That sounds like a helluva good idea!!! Too bad I already did my autumn "crud-scrapin" a couple weeks ago.....but I'll keep it in mind for next spring. :roll:

Geez, A guy makes one little joke about "filing his briefs" and he is forever marked as "The Crusty Underwear Guy". :cry: :cry:

Do people ever find any Indian artifacts in Alabama??
I wish I had a digital camera so I could post some pics of some of the various tools and points I have found. My favorite is a "gut hook" type tool that I found in a neighbor's field a couple years ago. I also found a chunk of a serrated flint knife blade. :)

Yep, we find arrowheads and other artifacts down here all the time.

On some timber land I own in west Alabama there is a pile of "flakes" about 2 feet high and 4 feet in diameter. There is lots of "Tallahatta Quartzite" rocks around and is primarily what the points were made of there.

They would never make arrowheads in the village because the flakes were sharp and would cut their feet if walked on. They would designate a place several hundred feet outside the camp and try to keep flakes in one area.
Everyone had a "bag" that hung from their belt, and when they spied the perfect rock from which to make points and knives, it got put in the "bag" and went to the "rockpile". The older men who didn't get around that well anymore were usually the designated pointmakers. (Or "Flintknappers" as they are called today) Different types of flint was traded from area to area and used as money. They also collected "gamestones", which were the perfect sized rock used to throw at small game like rabbits and squirrels.

We have found piles of rocks, covered with coals and ashes just underneath the dirt where they would heat the rocks under a fire to temper them.

Down here, if you walk a plowed river or creek bottom after a good hard rain you might find several in a day.

I know a guy who makes his own bows, arrows, and points and hunts primitively for deer. He has even killed a couple with a spear.

I think he smokes some peyote too!

:wink:

I'd love to see a picture of that guthook!

Here's a pic of Tallahatta Quartzite points:
points.jpg
[/img]

Latest posts