• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MAKIN HAY WHILE THA SUN SHINES

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
IMG_0624.jpg

weather was in the mid seventies today,spring planting is close,might as well get started,got lotta plowing to do.

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

Stopped to lose some 5:AM coffee and found this,probably the smallest one I ever found.

IMG_0641.jpg

That ole house looking mighty inviting,gotta bunk on that back screen porch,maybe I oughta stop and take a lil nap.

IMG_0631.jpg

Hay is running low.
IMG_0642.jpg

one ole cow watchin me,make sure IM doing it right.

IMG_0644.jpg

Lemme outa this thang,IM tired

I saw one farmer working ground today - - - - Mud everywhere but someone just had to try.

Love the look of your place.

"Stopped to lose some 5'45 coffe and found this probably the smallest I've ever found"- not touching that line with a ten foot pole lol.

Nice pictures Haymaker,your weather looks great! I love the look of your home.Hay in February,thats a different area way of doing things...I loved what Lilly said once..We all do things differntly for the same end result.True!

No Mike its oats,IM not gonna mess with trying to get a cuttin outa it,tonnage is low on oats and I need all the hay I can get,I will have these improved cane type grasses up cut and baled before this skimpy field of oats does anything..............good luck
PS I thought I had resized these pictures,guess I missed one ,sorry.

Nice pictures Haymaker! How big is that cultivator your dragging around? Ground looks mighty dry hope you get some good rains!! Do you ever grow sorghum? Weve grown it and gotten some good yields off of it!

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Nice pictures Haymaker! How big is that cultivator your dragging around? Ground looks mighty dry hope you get some good rains!! Do you ever grow sorghum? Weve grown it and gotten some good yields off of it!

The ground is mighty dry,most of the equipment I keep up here in the Hill country is less than fourteen feet, as all the fields up here are small and hard to get into,but they are fertile some of the river bottom fields really put out the tonnage if we get rain,around here 60 acres is considered a big field.................good luck

Haymaker, I just WISH I was that low on hay, counted bales today, down to 24. NOT GOOD, we do have some green grass growin however, but gonna hafta do somethin else in the mean time. Soon as we get back from the shows, I'll be hittin the pastures with the tractor, first Im gonna shread into some of the tree lines and try clearin out a lil more pasture, gotta clean up the edges of the hay fields, which will allow maybe another pass or two with the cutter come hayin time, then switch to the disk and see if I can level off some of this tore up ground from the hogs.

And that's a dandy lil arrow head, I've never found one, all my life growin up in the Sandhills of west texas people find em all the time, but not me. ..............(one of these days maybe)

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Haymaker, I just WISH I was that low on hay, counted bales today, down to 24. NOT GOOD, we do have some green grass growin however, but gonna hafta do somethin else in the mean time. Soon as we get back from the shows, I'll be hittin the pastures with the tractor, first Im gonna shread into some of the tree lines and try clearin out a lil more pasture, gotta clean up the edges of the hay fields, which will allow maybe another pass or two with the cutter come hayin time, then switch to the disk and see if I can level off some of this tore up ground from the hogs.

And that's a dandy lil arrow head, I've never found one, all my life growin up in the Sandhills of west texas people find em all the time, but not me. ..............(one of these days maybe)

Well one thing Lilly,if you run outa feed for your cows,cull cow market is pretty good,I hauled a few last week with a bull we were through with and money we got was fair..................good luck

Haymaker, Do you use the "Sorghum-Sudan Hybrids" or the "Pearl Millet" ?

We use both around here depending on which type of soil it is. The "sandy" ground does better with the Pearl Millet and the "prairie" soil makes better Sorghum-Sudan hay.

Just wondering cause your soil looks sorta sandy.

Mike said:
Haymaker, Do you use the "Sorghum-Sudan Hybrids" or the "Pearl Millet" ?

We use both around here depending on which type of soil it is. The "sandy" ground does better with the Pearl Millet and the "prairie" soil makes better Sorghum-Sudan hay.

Just wondering cause your soil looks sorta sandy.

We use both and then some,I have an ole man that I plant for that wants nothin but "red top cane"he tells me the same ole story ever year about how the country would have never been settled without red top to feed mules,I like all the sweet sorghums,I just think they are alot better feed than your hybrid bermudas,but you cant tell some of these ole coots around here that ,it's all costal.
If I plant a field late I always use Millet,pearl is a good one and doesnt require the moisture that the sweet sudans do...........good luck
PS just my 2 cents worth :wink:

Your place looks like a perfect place to sit by a roaring fire or look up at the stars from your porch. Looks very peaceful.

Haymaker, really liked seeing your place especially the cluster of outbuildings all silvery grey. You said one was a smokehouse once- but what are all the others?
Do you get bluebirds in your big birdhouse condo?

nr said:
Haymaker, really liked seeing your place especially the cluster of outbuildings all silvery grey. You said one was a smokehouse once- but what are all the others?
Do you get bluebirds in your big birdhouse condo?

Those buildings are just tool sheds feed storage etc....nope no blue birdies,those are purple martin houses ,got some around the pens too,they keep the flies down..............good luck

HAYMAKER, thanks so much for sharing more pictures of your place, it's hard to put the pieces together to make the big picture. I hate farming cuz I get sleepy driving round and round and round and back and forth and back and forth and (avatar for snoozing)zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Please keep them coming :D

Hanta Yo said:
HAYMAKER, thanks so much for sharing more pictures of your place, it's hard to put the pieces together to make the big picture. I hate farming cuz I get sleepy driving round and round and round and back and forth and back and forth and (avatar for snoozing)zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Please keep them coming :D

Thank you Hanta,Yup I get sleepy in a cab tractor too,that's why I really prefer a open station,but my chore tractor is too small ta plow with..............good luck
sleepingduck.gif

Latest posts