• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Makin Jelly

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
Yesterday I got industrious and decided I would make some plum jelly.
Got the juice all ready to go, when Mr. Lilly came in and had things he wanted me to help him with. So the Juice got set aside (fridge) until we got back in around 7pm. Got it back out and got busy, been a while since I made jelly, the plums I usually use didnt' make last year. So......dummy me I didnt read all the directions. I just dumped the sugar in, then read, OOPS....sugar goes in last. Needless to say this batch did not jel, at least not yet. Second batch I followed the directions and it's all nice and perdy pinkish/orange jelly.
But what this reminded me of, was my mom, she tried for several years to make jelly from grapes we grew in our backyard when I was a kid. It never jelled, turned out like a thin syrup. Oh man was that stuff good on toast or on pancakes....Eventually mom figured it out and it jelled one year. You'da thought she'd done soemthin wrong. All three of us kids were upset because we didnt have syrup for our pancakes that was grape flavored.
Looks like I now have some plum syrup. I'm kinda glad it didnt jel.

Somtimes the wifes Chokecherry jelly doesn't set.nothin better then chokecherry syrup on pancakes

I had a friend of mine who made jelly one time and it didn't gel, so she poured it into those old glass ketchup bottles thinking to use it for syrup. Then it gelled. :? Oh. look, joke jelly. :lol:

greg said:
Somtimes the wifes Chokecherry jelly doesn't set.nothin better then chokecherry syrup on pancakes

Ask Katrina how to make jelly! Hers is the best!

It's thick and sticky without that "Jello" consistency.

My mother makes the best jelly!!! She makes plum, chokecherry, current, mint, peach, pear, apple.....etc...pretty much anything that jelly can be made out of! She makes it with whatever fruit happens to make that year.

There was an old timer back in the early days that was making jelly and the pot got to boiling over and he went to tend it and it spilt over on him and he ended up dying from the burns. Back in them days no one had cars much and was so far from town that there was no hope. So be carefull Jersy!!! haha

Made jalapeno jelly, most beautiful emerald green, yummy on cream cheese and bagels! Another batch (juice) waiting for me in the fridge.

Latest posts