• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Making a watering tank?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Maple Leaf Angus

Reaction score
I have seen pictures and ideas posted here for water tanks made out of tires. I have a pair of 30 x 32" combine (rice) tires that are worn out and was thinking of converting one into a watering tank.

How would I go about cutting one sidewall out and then sealing the bottom? Chainsaw? I have cut smaller tires with the chainsaw, but I don't know if it would work on the heavier sidewall.

Unless it has steel side walls (use a sawsall), a good sharp knife and some dish soap will do it. Far quicker and easier than a chainsaw.

I tamp dirt up to the bead and then use several bags of sack-crete to seal the bottom. You also can use betonite if you don't want mess with concrete.

when I make mine, I drill three holes into the ground with the post hole digger, at least 4 ft deep. then cap the bottoms of 3 pieces of 8 inch PVC pipe and drop them into the holes. tamp them in and seal up the tire and pipe with quick crete. once the concrete dries, cut off the top of the pipe to match the concrete.

this allows the water to circulate and it has to get pretty cold before ice will form. if ice does form, just hit the tire on the side and it buckles the ice!

jigs said:
when I make mine, I drill three holes into the ground with the post hole digger, at least 4 ft deep. then cap the bottoms of 3 pieces of 8 inch PVC pipe and drop them into the holes. tamp them in and seal up the tire and pipe with quick crete. once the concrete dries, cut off the top of the pipe to match the concrete.

this allows the water to circulate and it has to get pretty cold before ice will form. if ice does form, just hit the tire on the side and it buckles the ice!

Now that's just a really good idea!

Thanks for the information folks.

Latest posts