• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Making your own dog food

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rainie

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for making up your own dog food? We have a large breed dog (Great Pyrennes) and are leary of buying any store bought dog food.

I wouldn't get so paranoid, most of the food in Canada was not affected by the recall.

If you search Google, you can find something I'm sure. Search for "sled dog diets" or natural pet diets. I was browsing quite awhile ago and found some stuff.

Hi Rainie, We had a Great Pyr until she got hit and killed by a 4-wheeler on the road :twisted:. The kid driving the 4-wheeler was a rotten kid who loved speed, that time he got the scare of his life but didn't get hurt.

She hated 4-wheelers and usually stayed off the road except to chase them and big trucks . . .

But we found that she was an awfully picky eater, wouldn't eat just any old dogfood.

Take one EXT add 130 grains of lead-Presto your feeding your dog and fixing up the Angus gene pool. Warning the 'wild' taste might just put your puppy off his ration lol. It's pretty intetresting that the former manager of the N Bar never even used him-his words were'His daughters are Vile' lol.

NR: Thanks, you made me laugh. I've got a couple old cows I was sizing up. Unfortunately the only 2 EXT's I have developed a brain and social skills as they got older.

Canadian food should be ok but this is what I feed my mutts. I know they could die yada yada I have heard it all :) 4 generations of Champions should mean something but who knows. Judges are always asking me why my dogs look soooo shiny and full of life. If I am feeding them poorly they sure look good :) My Dobies often make it to 11-13 so if it aint broke I aint fixin it!

I feed
4 pounds ground meat (yes uncooked OH dear how will they ever survive :)

1 pound oatmeal soaked in goats milk

1 pound some sort of veg chopped really fine. I blend that all together. It feeds the kids for about 3 days.

in each bowl I put 1 teaspoon of kelp (Solid Gold Seameal)
1 teaspoon bran
1tsp multi vitamin
garlic (for Dobies this is a must!!! They are the worlds best farters and without the garlic Hazmat would need to be called :)

They also get yogurt, eggs and whatever other goo I can put in there. I used to do the bones thing but dobes, and shepherds are way to dumb and seem to get the bones stuck in throats, on bottom jaws etc.

Another way to make your own dog food is to take an unwanted horse (or chicken, rabbit or cat: see my recent post on Ranch Talk), shoot it, or otherwise render it lifeless and cut it up into suitable sizes. Then toss a piece or two to the dog. :wink:

The oatmeal can be soaked in water, but I have a source for goats milk so I use that. I put the oatmeal in the milk and let it sit over night. It is also not cooked. Makes things really easy to make a batch. I use chicken, rabbit, beef and whatever else I can get my mitts on cheap. I fed alot less than bagged foods and the cost comes in very inexpensively.

Latest posts