• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mar 18, 2014 North of 49

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
Calving is starting to ramp up. Is it spring calving or winter calving at this time of year? Mrs. Silver snapped a couple pics today, so for better or for worse here they are.

When we have need to pull a calf we always do it with the mother standing up. She is squeezed sideways, and pushed ahead with a bar under her hind end and a sling under the front to ensure that she stays up where we can work on her. I know many folks don't think much of this method but over many decades it has worked every single time.

Hooking up and organizing things:
1527031_10153239143582837_1922037841_n.jpg

Out she comes. One wrap on the feet for this one as it was obviously not going to be difficult:
1557681_10153239143682837_691007264_n.jpg

Now for her sister :roll:
One wrap on one foot, pulled with one hand.:
1796691_10153239143897837_989076165_n.jpg

1st time momma licking her lips in anticipation:
1962646_10153239144317837_1046982700_n.jpg

And now the twins are split apart, so I have one bummer twin and a freeloading calf with a herniated umbilical chord that is defying all odds and is demanding to be fed twice a day :?

Congratulations on the twins. There seem to be more of them this year than usual. I think we have had nine sets so far this year, and every extra calf has been handy to have. Our neighbors had three sets of twins in a twelve hour period.

Would you be able to graft one of the twins onto the mother of the calf with the herniated umbilical chord? A little O-No-Mo (calf coaxer) and some bonding time in a small pen might do the trick. It would cut down on a little bit of chores.

Soapweed said:
Would you be able to graft one of the twins onto the mother of the calf with the herniated umbilical chord? A little O-No-Mo (calf coaxer) and some bonding time in a small pen might do the trick. It would cut down on a little bit of chores.

I considered that Soap, but that little devil with the rupture seems to be picking up steam. As well, the less I have to do with that particular mother the happier I'll be :wink:
If past experience tells me anything it's that a suitable candidate for this calf's affections will surface at some point. :)

Calves are coming 2 at a time and your are saving the impossible ones to save! Man are you every blessed! :D :D Ya must be livin' right! Those red cows will tend to be kind of snorty Silver so we dont blame ya for not grafting a twin on her. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

last year we had 2 extra calves, one set of twins and one orphaned, no where to put them, so fill the bottles.
this year we have lost 3 and grafted 1 on because our neighbors cow broke her hip so he had an extra one. no twins out of 70 births still have a few to go

Latest posts