• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

March in like a ............

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Here is a video from last year that I took that answers the questions if March came in like a lamb or like a lion. -37 F with a windchill of -57 here this morning.

http://s894.photobucket.com/user/kiyoat/media/sheep001_zpsb6291874.mp4.html?sort=3&o=34

No lamb here either... -23 right now with a chill factor of -35.. Wind blew pretty brisk all night til it dropped off this morning.... Definitely wake a fellow up this morning when I was out looking at the heifers...

We are near South Dakota's banana belt here -2F this morning Not expected to warm much today, then colder tonight and tomorrow. 3 inches of snow now. NNE wind but it is not moving much snow

March arrived blowing like a blue bobcat since midnight. But we aren't nowhere near as cold as some of ya'll. Snow and rain coming by noon supposedly. But if a flake fell here now it would land up by Gcreek as hard as its blowin :shock:

March started with lots of wind last night. It's slowed down some now with snow, switching to rain, switching to sleet.... 37F feels pretty good compared to what it has been like, so I'm not sure if this is the lamb before the lion or the other way around. :shock:

March came in here much like March often does. A little cool, but hey, it's March. -35 this morning so it's not like it's really cold. Warmer temps ahead I'm sure. Hopefully by next week because that's when we expect to see our first calves :D

March is coming in like a mean, mangy LION here near Exit 170 on I-90. Not sure of temperature, but near zero, little breeze, but TV says wind chill of -26% at Rapid City, 120 west of us. Snow most of the day, but not a lot accumulated, tho maybe four inches over last two or three days.

Got first two calves out of heifers yesterday and today. Due to start March 17, so pretty early, imo. Working out ok, in spite of new calving barn not being delivered when promised. Recently acquitted portable windbreaks looking like a great investment!

Tried to get another knipko heater in RC yesterday and found there has been a "real run on those" lately according to several stores usually having them on hand. Wonder if that is due to excessive cold this winter??? Or higher value of the baby calves?

Best of luck, and be careful, to all who are calving and working outdoors in this uncomfortable to downright dangerous weather. Hear there was a huge crash in Denver today, with at least one death and some injuries.

mrj

Had a sunny bright clear day here today too bad it was -38 c with 10-15 mph wind chilled to the bone. Call that a lion or lamb?

Same for me working in Northern AB right now, shut crews down yesterday,and going to do the same today after we have our morning meeting. She's -45 with the windchill. Thermometer on the truck says -39, and the exhaust from the sawmill down the street from the hotel is going sideways.

On the bright side, working up here in weather like this keeps me from getting sissy-fied when I go home to the warm winters of southern BC :lol:

We were predicted (in SD) to get 12" of snow with high winds. It snowed lightly off and on yesterday with hardly any wind; this morning it's clear, cold, no wind. Looks beautiful outside. However, on the south side of the house, it's -5 degrees F. We got about 2" of new snow yesterday. Doesn't look like it will snow today... :D

Latest posts