• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Maternal Angus Bloodlines

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rem_243

Reaction score
I've been looking at some cows in an Angus dispersion and I was kind of wondering what your opinions are on some good maternal bloodlines to look for. Also which bloodlines should be avoided? I realize a lot of this is opinion, but still interested. Thanks

rem_243 said:
I've been looking at some cows in an Angus dispersion and I was kind of wondering what your opinions are on some good maternal bloodlines to look for. Also which bloodlines should be avoided? I realize a lot of this is opinion, but still interested. Thanks

If you are looking at groups/programs---my feeling is that some of the Wye breeding is the most maternal (Favour,Bear, and Lodge of Wye have done wonders in many programs centered on maternal- many say Favour of Wye is the top udder maker ever made)- followed by the Shoshone and Diamond D lines which are both originally thru the Wye bloodlines- and linebreeding those... Diamond D has done the same but added some Rito 707/6807 and Ohlde breeding to further their program-while relying heavily on the Wye/Shoshone bloodlines...All good programs with maternal as their number one focus....

Cole Creek Angus thru their Juanada/Cedar/Shoshone mixture of bloodlines also has one of the top maternal programs that has over 50+ years testing in rough conditions- and cattle that are an outcross to almost all today... Cattle that can survive when conditions are bad- thrive when conditions are good!!
IMHO- just like the Diamond D and Ohlde programs were just locally known secrets for years- that now have moved to the forefront--- the Cole Creek one has just been discovered also....

The old N Bar Angus and Jorgensons raised some top cows-- much of which is now incorporated within the Sinclair Angus program-- which uses some of the top cowmaker bloodlines of both-- including EXT and Rito 707...
Personal opinion again- I'm a little leery of the direction they are going only because of their heavy use of/and linebreeding of EXT (who while being a top cow maker-also has a big bad reputation for negative disposition)....But from what I've found if you can keep him 3-4 generations back- with good sound quiet breeding around him-- I haven't had a problem......

You may want to ask you question to a regional manager of your breed association. They can answer your question.. just listen very carefully..If they are not to busy to talk to you.
Accepting a answer over the interent is pretty risky. About anyone can type anything they want. If you are looking at a sale in SD where you are from iIam sure there are many cow famliys that I would never known about where I live. There are super cows of all shapes and sizes.
I have found that not usually a bull will change a cow family, unless he was extream in something eq frame, carcass somthing like that.
Asking sales managers.. just remember they are hired to sell that mans cattle that day and tomorrow they are hired to sell someones elses cattle and so on. Get cattle you are happy with becuase you may have to live with them for a long time.

Are you wanting to get into the registered angus business?

If so it's a long road to get to where you think your going.

If you are just buying them to get in the commercial cow business I'd find someone in your area that raises cattle the way you do or want to. Then buy a draft of the heifers middle of the group will work just fine and I'll bet you'll be more pleased then buying a few over priced registered cows.

Denny has it right on.
However the actuall selling price of Reg Cows is not that far off from real good commerical cows when one takes those high sellers off of the regiserted cattle. Some here bought some pretty good bred Kansas drought cows a couple of months ago that they say are doing great.

Hay Feeder said:
Denny has it right on.
However the actuall selling price of Reg Cows is not that far off from real good commerical cows when one takes those high sellers off of the regiserted cattle. Some here bought some pretty good bred Kansas drought cows a couple of months ago that they say are doing great.

I know about the price but the problem with registered cows is half of them should have never became a cow in the first place.There's a guy here sell's 50 bulls a year and 10 or 15 steers can you say dull knife.And heifers after replacements I bet one or two don't make the production sale. But in their defense they've already done all the culling yeah right.I've bought some of those heifers last ones were in 04 and of the 4 purchased one remains and she got a free pass 3 years ago and should have been gone.In my area you have bull buyers who will spend some money but once they have their bull the last 20 sell for steer price I'd rather sell them as steers then. And heifers are worth the same without papers for the most part.

Denny I guess these higher trader reg guys is they still have to pay for thousands of dollars to bidders, feed, delviery,commissions, sale managers , places to keep them and so called ranch managers that we all read about...with the idea ??? they can get it back which never happens they get good breeding but mostly it never works it was back to the normal cattle people.
Sad to say some of real great cattle never get back to the industry as we know it today.

rem_243 said:
I'm a new member to the sight, but been using Angus for nearly 20 years. As far as good maternal lines, it kind of depends on what you want these cattle to do for you. The Wye, Diamond D, Ohlde type cattle will be smaller type cattle, with daughters less productive than some of the more modern lines. They will flesh real well and will be nice mothers, but less weight off the cow. We have used Jorgensen lines heavily for 15 years and have had real good results with their more maternal oriented lines. We are now blending some EXT influence in the cattle after having a wreck with EXT himself 15 years ago(mothering and disposition) :x . So far the experiment has been working great :???: as the cattle are very good mothers with superb udders and big calf raisers without having to be real big mature animals.

If you are looking for really maternal cows and not worried about registered cattle then crossbreeding is by far the way to go. The cows last longer and wean a heavier calf every time. Black baldy cows are a time tested and proven mother that many people see as the best ever made. One word of caution is that white pigmented eyes get cancer and other eye problems really easy. For me I have started crossing a really good maternal, small framed, black simmental bull on my straight angus cows and keeping those heifers. They are wonderful. Great mothers and good milk. They flesh easy and breed back every time. I know some people who are having good luck with other half english and half continental cattle. The key with these is doing your homework. Thats really the key with all cattle, but more so with these because many of the continental cattle were huge just a few years ago with very low maternal abilities.

If you are looking to stay with straight angus then the Connealy herd is hard to beat, but you cant buy cows from them. You have to use their bulls and your cows to make your own.

Latest posts