• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Math problems

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sweetbasil

Reaction score
I am looking for a math handbook that was given to me a million years ago to give to someone. As I am looking for this book, with no luck in finding it, I came across an Algebra textbook...

I am posting a few problems... So here they are:

Problem 1: Evaluate 2/3[8(a-b)^2 +3b] if a =5 and b=2

Problem 2: 5(9+3)-3*4

Problem 3: Evaluate x^3 +5(y-3) -xy
if x=2 and y =12

What's your answer?

Who really cares! All you need to know is 2+2= 4, and 3x 3= 9. That way you can balance you check book and not run your farm like the crazy are running the goverment in washington.

johndeereman said:
Who really cares! All you need to know is 2+2= 4, and 3x 3= 9. That way you can balance you check book and not run your farm like the crazy are running the goverment in washington.

I agree with the government thingy there jdm.. But...... :( That is certainly not the attitude we need toward math as a whole.. But maybe I see where this I don't need to learn math attitude comes from with the kids now days in school... I guess that who cares attitude is why my son tutors math kids in college ( ten last semester) who don't have the skills to make it in a college... All I can add to this is without this math your john deere or any machinery wouldn't be what it is whether you like it or not.... And remember everytime you sit your butt in a tractor of any kind it's young men like mine who are designing and troubleshooting the machinery..... Have a good day!! :tiphat: :wave:

A few more interesting problems that we can try:

1. The base price of the 1991 Buyer's Car of the Year was $15,925. The base price of the same car in 1994 is $19,705. Find the percent of increase.

2. Connie's clothing prices their goods 25% above the wholesale price. It the retail price of a jacket is $79, what was the wholesale price?

3. Delectable Dan's Cookie Company sells two kinds of cookies daily: chocolate chip (yummy) at $6.50 per dozen and white chocolate macadamia at $9.00 per dozen. On Thursday, Dan sold 85 dozen more chocolate chip than white chocolate macadamia cookies. The total sales for both were $4055.50. How many dozens of each were sold?

Maybe we can help each other solve the cookie problem?
:lol:

Triangle Bar said:
I concur with Katrina.

How are your studies going this term, SB

Hello TB,
I getting ready to go back to school next Monday to finish my last two classes. My last class will end on April 30th and I go back for graduation on May 24th! The worst part seems to be over, just working on my capstone project. Hope you'll have a blissful, healthy, and prosperous 2012.

johndeereman said:

We need our kids to get more involved in the sciences and mathematics so that we can continue to move our country forward. Maybe one of the factors that our debt is so high and we can't seem to reduce it or account for the interest rates we are paying to China is because our politicians signing the bills only know "2+2 =4 and 3X3 =9".... I value the basic mathematical foundations, but that's not enough if one wants to graduate from high school nowadays.

My intentions of posting these math problems was not to make you or anyone angry, but rather to make them available to solve them. It is essential to do things like this to keep our brain active in different ways...

Hope that you'll have a great 2012.

sweetbasil said:

1. The base price of the 1991 Buyer's Car of the Year was $15,925. The base price of the same car in 1994 is $19,705. Find the percent of increase.

2. Connie's clothing prices their goods 25% above the wholesale price. It the retail price of a jacket is $79, what was the wholesale price?

3. Delectable Dan's Cookie Company sells two kinds of cookies daily: chocolate chip (yummy) at $6.50 per dozen and white chocolate macadamia at $9.00 per dozen. On Thursday, Dan sold 85 dozen more chocolate chip than white chocolate macadamia cookies. The total sales for both were $4055.50. How many dozens of each were sold?

1. about 23.7%

2. $63.20

3. 311 doz chocolate chip
226 doz white chocolate macadamia

Larry

larryshoat said:
sweetbasil said:

1. about 23.7%

2. $63.20

Larry

Show off :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
larryshoat said:
sweetbasil said:

1. about 23.7%

2. $63.20

Larry

Show off :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Larry,
Welcome to our community! So far, I concur with your answers! :)

Here are a few other problems, maybe someone will be interested in giving them a try:

1. Do and DoLittle leave their home at the same time, traveling in opposite directions. Do travels at 80 kilometers per hour and DoLittle travels at 72 kilometers per hour. In how many hours will they be 760 kilometers apart?

2. At 8:00 AM Mrs. Bucket leaves home on a business trip driving 35 miles per hour. A half hour later, Richard discovers that Mrs. Bucket forgot her briefcase. He drives 50 miles per hour to catch up with her. If Richard is delayed 15 minutes with a flat tire, when will he catch up with Mrs. Bucket?

sweetbasil said:
Here are a few other problems, maybe someone will be interested in giving them a try:

1. Do and DoLittle leave their home at the same time, traveling in opposite directions. Do travels at 80 kilometers per hour and DoLittle travels at 72 kilometers per hour. In how many hours will they be 760 kilometers apart?

2. At 8:00 AM Mrs. Bucket leaves home on a business trip driving 35 miles per hour. A half hour later, Richard discovers that Mrs. Bucket forgot her briefcase. He drives 50 miles per hour to catch up with her. If Richard is delayed 15 minutes with a flat tire, when will he catch up with Mrs. Bucket?

1. 5 hours

2. 10:30 AM

Larry

Well, now that Christmas is over and it is time for Santa to settle up with the elves, there seems to be some confusion on who made what. See if you can help Santa out by solving this puzzle.

Here is a puzzle involving five elves, dressed in five different colors, who made five different types of toys . Can you decipher who made what ?
1. Ole Santa's pack held thirty toys
2. Made by his elfin crew,
2. And though none made the same amount,
4. Each made more than two .
5. The elf named Cher made one more toy
6. Than the elf who dressed in reds,
7. But Cher made one less Christmas toy
8. Than the elf that made the sleds .
9. Spry Johnny elf made racing cars,
10. Five toys were made by Jane .
11. The elf who dressed in yellow suits
12. Made each and every train .
13. The elf who always dressed in green
14. Made one third as many as Sue .
15. Cute Marcia elf was dressed in orange,
16. And one elf dressed in blue .
17. Thelf who made the spinning tops
18. Made the most toys of them all .
19. Another perky, smiling elf
20. Made each and every ball .
21. Ole Santa's pack held thirty toys
22. From the clues that you've been given,
23. Guess who made what toy and how many .

Larry

sweetbasil said:

1. 5 hours

2. 10:15 am

larryshoat said:
Well, now that Christmas is over and it is time for Santa to settle up with the elves, there seems to be some confusion on who made what. See if you can help Santa out by solving this puzzle.

Here is a puzzle involving five elves, dressed in five different colors, who made five different types of toys . Can you decipher who made what ?

Larry

Santa's Pack Held 30 Toys
Elf's Name Cher Marcia Sue Jane Johnny
Clothing Color Yellow Orange Blue Red Green
Toys Made Trains Sleds Spinning Tops Balls Racing Cars
How Many Toys 6 7 9 5 3

katrina said:
larryshoat said:

Larry

How Many Toys 6 7 9 5 3

Not exactly the answer I had in mind. I want to know wht color each elf had on and how many and what toy. I'll give a clue.

Cher, the elf wearing yellow made 6 trains for Santa.

Larry

larryshoat said:
katrina said:
larryshoat said:

Larry

How Many Toys 6 7 9 5 3

Not exactly the answer I had in mind. I want to know wht color each elf had on and how many and what toy. I'll give a clue.

Cher, the elf wearing yellow made 6 trains for Santa.

Larry

If I can decipher Katrina's post, because i can't figure it out myself :oops:

She had Cher in yellow,making 6 trains.
Marcia wore orange, making 7 sleds.
Sue wore blue, making 9 spinning tops
Jane wore red making 5 balls
Johnny wore green making 3 racing cars

Did i read it right? :D

Latest posts