• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

May 14-18, 2012

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Cattleonnewgrass800x600.jpg

Cows and calves on new grass
Thispairstillsortsthemselvesbycolor800x600.jpg
This pair still sorts themselves for color.
Unloadingyearlingheifersontheroad800x600.jpg

Unloading yearling heifers on a gravel road on Tuesday
Granddaughter800x600.jpg

Granddaughter
Sheisprettyspecial800x600.jpg

We think she is pretty special. :)
KosmoKidgetshisearslowered800x600.jpg

Kosmo Kid gets his ears lowered. It was a windy nasty day on Wednesday, so he and I had dinner in town.
Truckingheiferstoday800x600.jpg

Trucking yearling heifers on Thursday, from where they spent the winter. This gentleman is a great singer, and can do The National Anthem
better than anyone I have ever heard. He has had the honor of singing at the Black Hills Stock Show rodeo on two occasions.
Peachisgivingafootrotshot800x600.jpg

Peach is giving a foot-rot preventative shot and pouring on some fly dope.
Keepingthechutefull800x600.jpg

Keeping the chute full
Unloadingoutinapasture800x600.jpg

Unloading out in a pasture
Itworkedquitewell800x600.jpg

It worked quite well.
Theyarealltrainedtosaycheese800x600.jpg

They are all trained to say, "Cheese."
Long-timefriendsretirementparty600x800.jpg

Long-time friend's retirement party
Hehassoldfeedfor21years600x800.jpg

He has sold feed for 21 years.
Goodlookinghorses800x600.jpg

Good looking horses on the JF Ranch
Myfavorite800x600.jpg

My favorite. He rides very nice, also.
Yearlingheifersenjoyingfreshpasture800x600.jpg

Yearling heifers enjoying green grass
Thebullsgotturnedwiththemtoday800x600.jpg

When I took bulls out to this pasture later in the day
Doneday800x600.jpg

Another day done.

Great photos again. Boy do I like the looks of that horse! He would look good up here. We just picked up a real nice palomino.

That is one pretty little girl. :D :D

Things are pretty fancy at the JF spread with a paved road through the ranch. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Everything is looking good in your part of the world. :D

Peach looks to be a Pistol Packin' Mama :D :D

Do you ever have any trouble unloading yearlings off truck on to a road and them just keep on going? Right through the next fence.
I always thought they settled better if unloaded into a pen and let wander out from there. :?

Big Muddy rancher said:

Do you ever have any trouble unloading yearlings off truck on to a road and them just keep on going? Right through the next fence.
I always thought they settled better if unloaded into a pen and let wander out from there. :?

I was thinking the same thing about Peach! How can she vaccinate and pour at the same time? She is pretty amazing.

As far as the temperament of Soapy's second batch of heifers unloaded in the pasture, they strolled off the trucks very easily. Many of them looked back at us as they stepped on sod again, then sauntered off at a walk. I've unloaded plenty that had their ears up and stormed off the trucks, but not these. They are nice heifers. I think the temperament of the truckers has a lot to do with the temperament of the cattle being hauled.

JF Ranch said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

I was thinking the same thing about Peach! How can she vaccinate and pour at the same time? She is pretty amazing.

As far as the temperament of Soapy's second batch of heifers unloaded in the pasture, they strolled off the trucks very easily. Many of them looked back at us as they stepped on sod again, then sauntered off at a walk. I've unloaded plenty that had their ears up and stormed off the trucks, but not these. They are nice heifers. I think the temperament of the truckers has a lot to do with the temperament of the cattle being hauled.

:agree:

whooping ,hollering hot-shotting every one etc. really does tend to rile them up :wink:

Shortgrass said:
Is that just 7 way that you are giving for foot rot?

We used Fusogard, made by Novatis Animal Health.

Here are the selling points:

"Fusogard bacterin, the first F. necrophorum bacterin developed and manufactured specifically for cattle, was designed with economics, convenience, beef quality assurance and solid disease protection in mind. Fusogard provides the protection and safety of an inactivated bacterin while delivering effective, economical footrot protection.

"Fusogard is cost-effective, both in preventing the economic losses that come with footrot and lameness, and in eliminating the use of costly antibiotics to treat footrot."

I really hope it works.

Big Muddy rancher said:

We have done it this way many times through the years, and have always gotten by with it. We could set up panels, but sometimes pure laziness rears its ugly head.

Our cattle are calmer than most. When they went from a drylot feedlot situation to a truck, and then from the truck down a loading chute to green grass, the grass looked mighty attractive and acted as very effective brake. :wink:

MO_cows said:
Little miss blue eyes just gets prettier every time you post her picture. She could do commercials!

Thank you kindly. We are proud to be her grandparents. She and her boy cousin are two fun kids to have around, and we enjoy them immensely.

The calves and little gal and the grass all look great! Glad to see somebody has some green showing. Those heifers sure are consistent. Thanks! :D

That little gal is cute as a bug's ear. :D Debbie says if you ever care to share, we will adopt her!

Cattle look good as always and your grass is ahead of ours by a bunch.

We treat our bulls with the footrot vaccine. My vet has said that it won't always prevent the foorot, however it will help speed up recovery and the treatment process.

Heifers are looking good. We just moved ours out to grass yesterday as well. I didn't have as good of luck as you. Mine found the texas gate to an oil lease the next morning and just walked through it as it had filled with dirt over winter. Luckily my neighbor found them right away while checking his and we didn't have to comb the countryside looking for them. All fixed up now. The rest of the cows should go to grass this weekend.

Nice heifers, Soap. We sure don't have green grass like that around here.
And that granddaughter...I've always heard about some babies having a
'rosebud mouth' and she sure does. She is really beautiful!

JFRanch, NICE HORSES!! :D
I've always liked those bald-faced sorrells. Especially if they have
a coon tail.

Faster horses said:
a coon tail.

Thanks FH. No coon tail, but Sarge is as nice a ranch horse as I've ever had. He's level headed and the same every day. I made the mistake of putting Soapy on him last summer. He's been trying to deal me out of him ever since!

JF Ranch said:
Faster horses said:
a coon tail.

Thanks FH. No coon tail, but Sarge is as nice a ranch horse as I've ever had. He's level headed and the same every day. I made the mistake of putting Soapy on him last summer. He's been trying to deal me out of him ever since!

And the more I try to 'suade him, the more he 'fuses. :(

Soapweed said:
JF Ranch said:
Faster horses said:
a coon tail.

And the more I try to 'suade him, the more he 'fuses. :([/quot

Some guys just flat out refuse to take a half fast mule on trade. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts