• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

May 4, 2011

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Thisisafive-year-oldcow.jpg

This is a five-year-old cow.
Thatalsocalvedasayearling.jpg

That also calved as a yearling.
Thisherdaughterthatwasbornthisspring.jpg

Here is her fifth calf, a heifer that was born this spring.
Lookingsouthfromupinthehills.jpg

Looking south from up in the hills
Lookingsouthwest.jpg

Looking southwest
Lookingnorthwest-1.jpg

Looking norhtwest
Lookingnortheast.jpg

Looking northeast
Usingatelescopiclens.jpg

Using the telescopic capabilites of my pocket camera
Crittersonthehill.jpg

Critters on the hill
Sandhillsandsoapweeds.jpg

Sandhills and soapweeds
IhavethefeelingImbeinganintruder.jpg

I have the feeling I'm being an intruder. :roll: :wink:

Is your grass slow this year also?

I would sure like a little corner of those hills here about now. The snow is down to where I can break trail with the 4-wheeler now. Grass is trying to come where it has bared off.

gcreekrch said:
Is your grass slow this year also?

I would sure like a little corner of those hills here about now. The snow is down to where I can break trail with the 4-wheeler now. Grass is trying to come where it has bared off.

Our grass is really slow. It's been both cold and dry. We need some rain and sunshine. After a lifetime of living in the Sandhills, my theory is that the two most critical weeks of the year are the second and third weeks of May. These are the two weeks that come into play for "making or breaking" the upcoming hay crop and in setting the stage for summer grass.

nice pics as usual. It is amazing how those very early calvers turn out.
We are slow on grass here too, but a bit of heat and it will come. I would rather feed cattle in April and May and get our grass coming than feed in December and January.
On another note I also learned this week that soapweed is a species at risk in Alberta.

RSL said:
nice pics as usual. It is amazing how those very early calvers turn out.
We are slow on grass here too, but a bit of heat and it will come. I would rather feed cattle in April and May and get our grass coming than feed in December and January.
On another note I also learned this week that soapweed is a species at risk in Alberta.

It's just too cold and wintery that far north for us soapweeds. :wink:

Latest posts