• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

May 5, 2011

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Readytobrandabunchofcalvesfrom2-year-olds.jpg

A bunch of two-year-olds and their calves gathered so we can brand the calves
Readytosortcowsfromcalves.jpg

Ready to sort off the cows from the calves
Comingthrough-1.jpg

Kosmo Kid coming through
Bringingoneout.jpg

Bringing one out
Upandover.jpg

My sister puts the rope up and over.
Renabringingbackafour-year-old.jpg

Today Rena brought back a four-year-old she has been riding for me this spring.
Mypassengersonthewaybacktothecorral.jpg

My passengers on the way back to the branding location
Afterwewenthometocheckcowsandeatdinner.jpg

After we had gone home to check the cows that are still calving, and to eat dinner.
Renademonstratingthatthehorseisropebroke.jpg

Rena demonstrating that the horse is rope broke.
Crewatthebrandingcorral.jpg

Crew at the branding corral
Metryingouttheyounghorse.jpg

I get a chance to try out the young horse.
Makingathrow.jpg

Making a throw
Takingacalfintobeworked.jpg

Taking a calf in to be worked
Ithinkthehorsewillbeagoodone.jpg

I think the little horse will be a good one.
Renadidanicejobputtingmilesonthecolt.jpg

Rena did a nice job putting a lot of miles on this horse.
Dadbroughtoversomevisitorsthisafternoon.jpg

Dad brought over some visitors this afternoon
Thegentlemaningreenusedtobeourpastor.jpg

The gentleman in the green leisure suit was our pastor at the Methodist Church back quite a few years ago. At that time, his son
had given him a nice hand-tooled leather belt that had REV in big letterson the back. This was supposed to stand for "Reverend"
but I had to point out that it could also stand for "Rear End View." :wink: :)

Glad to see life on the ranch is going good..Sometimes I wish we had smaller brandings to keep up..but then again 1 big branding means only 1 big meal to get! lol Good luck with you new horse...

in that first picture with all them cattle in that pen, with hardly a post holdin it all up, if the cows only new. really enjoy your pictures of that country, and your going's on

Jassy said:
Glad to see life on the ranch is going good..Sometimes I wish we had smaller brandings to keep up..but then again 1 big branding means only 1 big meal to get! lol Good luck with you new horse...

Thanks, Jassy. Your big branding is bound to be more exciting. Our brandings are quite humdrum, but at least the ol' Kosmo Kid and I get a significant amount of roping practice. :wink: :)

Faster horses said:
That seems to be a nice young gelding. So, where did you pick this one up? And how about the sorrell colt you got last fall and Carol got the gray one? Or was is a grulla? How are they doing?

The horse that Rena has been riding is the sorrel I got last fall. She has done a nice job getting him gentle and used to a rope. The grulla is a good horse. We have a lot of sorting and cattle work ahead for him.

VB RANCH said:
in that first picture with all them cattle in that pen, with hardly a post holdin it all up, if the cows only new. really enjoy your pictures of that country, and your going's on

The corral is probably stronger than it looks, with zigs and zags to give it stability. Our cattle are as gentle as anyone's. They are used to horses, Polaris Rangers, and pedestrians. The dogs are supposed to stay home. :wink: With our small crew, the long narrow corral design makes it much easier to sort cows from calves. Even though these were all 2-year-old heifers, which are notoriously hard to separate from their calves, the sorting took less than ten minutes. It helped that the herd was locked in the corral while some hay was fed. The hay gave the heifers incentive to flow out of the corral to go eat.

Latest posts