• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

May Day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

What a May Day--Supposed to meet the semis at 7:30 to haul cows north to pasture- Should have known how the day was going to go when I went out at 6:30 to hook up trailer---flat tire-- so put on spare...Wind blowing 15 mph, snowflurries and temp is 24 degrees-- Beautiful May Day....

Cows were already sorted so it didn't take long to load cows in trucks and calves in trailers...Trip was not bad except driving into a wind that by then was 30mph made slow travel-- Then the second truck dropped a front wheel off a cattle guard turning off the highway- so we dumped the cows off at the highway and trailed them a mile to the chute-- Unloaded the other 2 trucks and got things mothered up and trailed everything another mile and half ( into the wind) to the pasture- while the truckers jacked and blocked the truck out of it hole...By then the temp was up to 30, but the wind was up to 45 and at times it looked like a blizzard- wind about blow you off a horse....

When everybody got back to the trucks and horses loaded I offered everybody a cold beer-- Got no takers :shock: , but they sure made short work of the thermos's of coffee and all my rheumatis medicine I had stashed behind the seat......We had to dig out another bottle of medicine after we got back- but I'm not sure I'll warm up for a week even with it... So much for May Day....

Ouch!! what a rough day ya had, OT!! sorry to hear it!! here it was sunny, but the wind right outta the north kept the temperature in the mid 30's....at least we did not get more snow, so i am not gonna complain!! good luck to ya and hope things get better!!
kris

Hell of a start to May--Today was one of those days you just want to get as far away and do as much work as you could-- Started early with a phone call from my wife- An old friends 14 month old grandaughter - whos mother is my youngest daughters best friend- had been backed over and killed... Absolute pure accident by a lady who had to be hospitalized because of the trauma.... Baby Madison had been at our house for a while last night doing what she enjoyed most- playing with my grandkids and our dogs which all loved her-- My 4 year old grandson told me a year ago that he was going to marry "Baby Madithun"......
Anyway today as the house filled with more people (wife, daughters, daughters friends ), my son and I looked at each other and said its time to go to work-- Wish I would have had something that needed to be done horseback- since that is the best cure- but really didn't, so went fencing......We patched a whole lot of fence, shot a few gophers-- even put one round just under a coyote that was out there around 400 yards (which I thought was a good feat for a .357 with an 18 inch barrel and open sights), listened to the wind blow, tagged a couple of new late calves, checked a few water holes-- But anyway spent the day where both of us can probably do a better job of communicating with God.............

Gosh, that is heart-wrenching Oldtimer. That has been one of my biggest fears around here; of something like that happening. Not much a person can say, but I hope all are doing as well as possible.

OT, I know that saying I'm sorry to hear that doesn't do much for the loss, but I'm saying it anyway. This is terrible, I like to read Ranchers for a few laughs and to cheer me up and between losing a little girl and a house fire, this place is depressing. anyway, aren't you glad you can go off and find something to do outside. Hope things get better, my condolences.

OT-
i agree with SW-this place is soooo depressing!! anyone going to want to send their kid after this incidence?? this is soooo sad and tragic, what a loss! :cry: :cry: :cry:

OT, what a tragedy for the family and friends of the tiny one. Thoughts and prayers for everyone of you.

Sorry to hear about your friend's loss. Burying a chid must be the worst thing in life. Our prayers are with you.

The loss of a child is so horrible that I don't know how anyone without religion can stand it. We lost a neighbor boy a few years ago. His father and I grew up together and we introduced each other to our wives. His son and one of mine grew up together and his loss was sooo terrible, that I could hardly stand it! I don't know how his parents made it, but we all tried our best to help in any way we could.

Our prayers go out to you and the community for their loss.

The part that makes this even sadder is the fact that this was a high school girl that got pregnant- and her and the father decided to have the baby- he continued college, while she continued high school and is due to graduate May 29th- the baby kind of become the senior classes baby.... The parents were making a fantastic life around this "oops" rather than destroying or giving her up- working their buns off to provide a life for them and the baby......And the mother is related to half the community- making for bigtime sadtimes-- Funeral is Saturday......

God works in mysterious ways and we should not question them.....

That said you would think that in our family we would have become hardened enough to not have these things bother you so bad-- I spent 30 years as a Sheriff/Coroner- saw every kind and age of death- had many die in my arms... Every one affected me- and I'm glad I retired.........My wife has spent 30+ years working in the hospital- each one still affects her.....

As I told her last night- after she had to take the afternoon off ( while still being on call) I hope the day never comes that we could be so hardened that each situation doesn't affect us........

Latest posts