• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Maybe Im wrong ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
I have hunters on a couple places,and the money is good but there always seems to be some problem and or an argument to settle,I have done it many years,finally I have got to the point where I have a short tolerance for these so called "city hunters" almost to the point where I wont allow anymore paid/lease hunting on any land I own/control.
I guess I could type all morning about the problems/stories I have seen but I will keep it short .
Got back to the hill country place this week and was vistin with some hunters and after talkin to them 30 or so minutes one of them casually said there was a cow hung in a fence,they were going to stop on there way to town and see if they could get her outa the fence,no sense going into datail about what I told them............by the time I got to the heifer she was to far gone,dont know if when they first saw her would have made any differnce or not,but it would have damn sure made me feel better if they would have tried to get her out and or called me instead of going back to camp and havin coffe ?
good luck

I have had a similar thing happen but it was a horse. Don't know what to tell you about the hunters but it's not like they shot the cow or chased it into the fence. Not only city people that don't have a clue. :?

HAY MAKER said:
I have hunters on a couple places,and the money is good but there always seems to be some problem and or an argument to settle,I have done it many years,finally I have got to the point where I have a short tolerance for these so called "city hunters" almost to the point where I wont allow anymore paid/lease hunting on any land I own/control.
I guess I could type all morning about the problems/stories I have seen but I will keep it short .
Got back to the hill country place this week and was vistin with some hunters and after talkin to them 30 or so minutes one of them casually said there was a cow hung in a fence,they were going to stop on there way to town and see if they could get her outa the fence,no sense going into datail about what I told them............by the time I got to the heifer she was to far gone,dont know if when they first saw her would have made any differnce or not,but it would have damn sure made me feel better if they would have tried to get her out and or called me instead of going back to camp and havin coffe ?
good luck

Thats just sad. The cattle that run our duck lease are always stuck in the marsh. Ive pulled numerous ones out with my boat. We take care of the animals for the guy we lease from as if they were mine. I tell you what, if you want to get those city boys out let me know how much the lease is and ill make sure if a cow is in the fence we will get her out and then fix the fence for ya.

RobinFarmandRanch said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

Thats just sad. The cattle that run our duck lease are always stuck in the marsh. Ive pulled numerous ones out with my boat. We take care of the animals for the guy we lease from as if they were mine. I tell you what, if you want to get those city boys out let me know how much the lease is and ill make sure if a cow is in the fence we will get her out and then fix the fence for ya.

I will keep you in mind,guess which city these folks are from...............
Lake Charles, most coon asses I run into have better sense than to leave a cow in a fence and put on a pot of coffe,guess there are exceptions
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
RobinFarmandRanch said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

I will keep you in mind,guess which city these folks are from...............
Lake Charles, most coon asses I run into have better sense than to leave a cow in a fence and put on a pot of coffe,guess there are exceptions
good luck

Hate to tell you, but them boys aint coonasses, cajuns, or good ol country boys. LC has become just like Lafayette, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Shreveport, and Monroe. They are nothing but a bunch of city boys now who have no respect for anyone elses property. Im sorry that this happened to you.

HAY MAKER said:
good luck

You also might want to consider the possibility that they looked at the heifer and said to themselves "how much liability will we incur if we mess with her and the property owner blames us for whatever damage she has done to herself. Another possibility is they were just plain ignorant about cattle and intimidated by the situation to the point of being scared to touch her at all.

There's always two sides to a story and hunting access is full of those kind of stories. I have asked for permission to hunt doves on a given piece of land and been told we don't allow that kind of hunting anymore cuz some hunters shot one of our cows. When I assured them that not only did I know the difference between a cow and a dove but that I also owned cattle they just looked at me and said no. Well why not say that in the first place instead of making up a story about cow shooting.

Having said all that. There is always the possibility that somehow they ran her into the fence in the first place and were scared to tell you that. Probably not the case but a possibility.

For the record most if not all of my hunting acquaintances value their leases so highly that they would never knowlingly do anything to screw them up.

Latest posts