• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MB group plans to fight North Dakota water project

Help Support Ranchers.net:

waterloo_boy

Reaction score
canada news
Thursday, Jul 14, 2005

Manitoba group plans to fight North Dakota water project in Canadian court

WINNIPEG (CP) - A group of Manitoba residents is hoping to succeed where the provincial and federal governments have so far failed, and stop the Devils Lake drainage project in North Dakota.
A grassroots coalition of environmentalists, fishermen and municipal leaders announced Thursday they plan to ask the Federal Court of Canada to force a halt to the project. "When diplomacy doesn't work, you have to look at the legal option," said Kevin Chudd, the mayor of Gimli, Man.

Chudd, area fishermen and the group Friends of the Earth believe North Dakota's plan will pollute Canadian waters.

The state is building an outlet to drain water from Devils Lake to ease chronic flooding. The water will make its way into the Red River, which flows across the border and into Lake Winnipeg.

The Manitoba government, the State of Minnesota and environmentalists in the U.S. asked a North Dakota court to halt the project earlier this year, but the court turned them down.

Prime Minister Paul Martin has raised the issue with U.S. President George Bush, asking him to have the project studied by the International Joint Commission - a body set up by both countries to arbitrate cross-boundary water issues.

But Bush has not yet agreed, and the outlet is set to open within three weeks.

"Unfortunately, as the saying goes, we're at the eleventh hour," said Chudd, who said the coalition hopes to file its motion with the Federal Court next week and raise $200,000 for legal expenses.

The group's lawyer, David Estrin, expressed confidence that he can convince a Canadian court to force North Dakota to halt the project.

Estrin pointed to the International Boundary Waters Treaty, signed by Canada and the U.S in 1909.

"There is federal legislation that implements the treaty in Canada. (It) says the Federal Court has jurisdiction (over) any injured party or person," said Estrin. He plans to argue that the act gives the court the power to render decisions against parties on both sides of the border.

The North Dakota government has rejected Canadian claims that Devils Lake is polluted. The lake is home to thriving fishing lodges, and governor John Hoeven's office has said it would not push ahead with the project if the lake was polluted, because more than a third of North Dakotans live downstream from the lake.

People who live near the lake are anxious for the project to proceed.

With no natural outlet, the lake has been rising for years, forcing families to relocate, flooding roads, and costing the state more than $500,000 in damage control and repairs.

© The Canadian Press, 2005

http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pageID=canada_home&articleID=1980162

It's a little late to try and stop the diversion now, they are ready to open the taps. It is proof, though, that the US isn't to be trusted when they sign supposedly binding agreements. We have seen them willing to break every kind of agreement under the sun, even if the benefits to the US are small. When you're willing to pollute another country's water to save a few worthless houses, don't bitch when we strike back.
One day, the US is going to be crying for access to Canada's vast fresh water resources, I just hope our government of the day has the guts to tell them to go to hell.

redriver said:
It's a little late to try and stop the diversion now, they are ready to open the taps. It is proof, though, that the US isn't to be trusted when they sign supposedly binding agreements. We have seen them willing to break every kind of agreement under the sun, even if the benefits to the US are small. When you're willing to pollute another country's water to save a few worthless houses, don't bitch when we strike back.
One day, the US is going to be crying for access to Canada's vast fresh water resources, I just hope our government of the day has the guts to tell them to go to hell.
Red, are you this much fun everyday? I bet you keep your family and friends in stitches from laughing all day! Scratch that! I bet you keep your psychoanalyst in stitches from laughing all day.

TimH said:
Hey Mike, I wonder what type of haircut and suit old redriver has?? :wink:

Jethro. :lol:

A mullet cut and a sequin suit sounds about right. A double breasted -sequin suit, with spandex pants. :roll:

Mike- "A mullet cut and a sequin suit sounds about right. A double breasted -sequin suit, with spandex pants. "

:lol: :lol:

But for the full "effect" you have to say "spandex" with a lisp....."thpandekth". :lol:

PS. Would those be "bumless" spandex pants??? :shock: :wink:

TimH said:
Mike- "A mullet cut and a sequin suit sounds about right. A double breasted -sequin suit, with spandex pants. "

:lol: :lol:

But for the full "effect" you have to say "spandex" with a lisp....."thpandekth". :lol:

PS. Would those be "bumless" spandex pants??? :shock: :wink:

I'm laughing so hard I can't type! :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's YOU'RE neighbor! Why don't you drive over and see about THOSE PANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :???:

"thpandekth" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

TimH, if you are actually from sw MB, I guess you can laugh about Lake Winnipeg's fish being threatened by foreign biota, it doesn't affect you. Doesn't say much for you, however.

RED-river- "TimH, if you are actually from sw MB, I guess you can laugh about Lake Winnipeg's fish being threatened by foreign biota, it doesn't affect you. Doesn't say much for you, however."

You're right. It duthn't affect me near ath mutth ath it affeth all thothe million dollar hometh and golf courtheth along the RED river whothe ownerth are more THCARED about flooding than pollthion.
When ND openth the tapth ,jutht go whine to your socialitht Premier Doer buddy. I'm thure he will bail you A-holes out AGAIN!!!

Doesn't say much for me????? :???:

Hahahaha!!! I can thpeak for mythelf!!!(eastern whiner) :lol: :lol:

TimH, That's quite the display of ignorance. You sound a lot like an american pretending to be from Manitoba, or you're just a jerk.

Hey Jethro you right on the money!!!!!

Hey dont you have apair of those thier pants?,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

RED-river- "TimH, That's quite the display of ignorance. You sound a lot like an american pretending to be from Manitoba, or you're just a jerk."

I'm really from Mb. So I guess I must be a jerk. But if you want to call me an ignorant jerk, take a number and get in line like everybody else.
Tell me RED-river, are you one of those people, that the govt. in '99 or any other flood year for that matter, came in with TAXPAYER MONEY, MOVED YOUR HOUSE OFF THE LOT AND HAULED IN FILL DIRT TO RAISE THE GRADE OF YOUR HOME AND THEN PUT YOUR HOUSE BACK ON THE RAISED FOUNDATION(at taxpayer's expense) ALL BECAUSE YOU ARE ENOUGH OF AN IDIOT TO BUILD ON A FLOOD PLAIN????
Are YOU one of thothe folkth that exthpect ME to pay for your thtupidity??? :roll: :roll:

TimH the welfare bum, eh? Wow, there has been so much hidden truth revealed on here lately that it is almost overwhelming. :lol2: :lol2: And since you are neighbours, he must know what he is talking about.

I think our redriver guy must be a cover for Jerry Springer, whaddya think?

:roll:

thpandeth! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :cry2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Boys boys :shock: :shock: Settle down guys. :D :D You're going to blow a gasket!

I've got a question. Has no one considered sending the water to the Missouri watershed? It's not that far. It's in the U.S. and wouldn't break any treaties.

Or how about encouraging some irrigation? The land at Devil's Lake is very good, but they have a tendency to be dry. Dryness is all that's holding back a thriving potatoe business for instance. Want to make some money growing a crop? Grow potatoes.

The water can surely be used for something more productive than starting a fight.

What's got everyone's shirts in a knot up here is the fact that this is a broken treaty. It sets a precedent. Again. :wink:

Besides, it is not known anywhere but here, but Lake Manitoba is the main recipient of this water (after going past the million dollar flood plain houses :wink: ), and this lake is half the size of Switzerland. This is not a small body of water we're talking about. It has a large fishery, and also drains eventually into Hudson Bay. It's more than the worry of pollution, how about if an obscure fish parasite, or a non-native aquatic plant got established? Just look at the zebra mussel problem in the great lakes and you can see how something as simple as one or two critters being released that don't belong there can cause a huge amount of damage.

OK guys ... I'll let you get back to your scrap :wink: :D

Kato,
Devils Lake pollution could have been diverted to the Missouri, but the US would rather save a few bucks than live up to their treaty obligations. The unfortunate thing is that they have now set a precedent and are now free to break any agreement we have. Of course, they likely would have anyway.
By the way, it's Lake Winnipeg that they're polluting, not Lake Manitoba.

:dunce: :shock: Duh... I knew that! Had a brain freeze.

I spent many summer days swimming in Lake Winnipeg as a kid. I have many fond memories of piling six or so kids on a big inner tube and frolicking in the 4 foot waves. It's amazing no one drowned.

Latest posts