• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MC Quantock "Canada's Cow Sale" Dec 10, 2011

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I've been through that cow herd many times prior to Mac's bull sale in January since 1993. They are as solid a set of "ranch cows" as you will find. There is no room there for bad bags/poor mothering ability as they are all calved on grass. The dries go to the kill plant.

Mac moved the spring calvers earlier and held back a bunch of fall calvers over to breed for April/May dates to make them attractive to more buyers.

There are holes in some of them, just like any other herd in the world but the percentage is a lot smaller than most cattle I've been through. When he states that these cows work for their living it is absolutely no BS.

We have used his bulls extensively and our only drawback has been not keeping enough daughters from them. They are not too big and last a long time.

I am going if I can get away then, would like some of the younger cows if they aren't too dear. Bull sale for sure.

I still haven't heard what good young bred stuff is bringing this fall, but I am going to see the bred cows go through the ring in Dawson Creek tomorrow. Might have to sit on my hands though. :???:

canadian angus said:
Complete yes, ever seen the bottom end that goes to where ever after the bull sale.

Yes, there are even 4 of them here that I needed because I bought more cows later in the year. 3 of them are really good bulls and the other is just a light BW heifer bull I needed at the last minute. :D
A lot of the after sale bulls are still better than ones I have seen some breeders trying to pass off at other bull sales. I have no problem with anyone selling anything to anybody. There are two sides to every business transaction and Mac does have a satisfaction on arrival arrangement with every sight unseen bull he sells.

Would many other breeders send a replacement bull to a customer 1200 kms away to take the place of one that got crippled up? Free of charge?

As Frank Creech used to say, " There is a bull for every budget". :wink:

'A sucker born every minute'. I got my injection at an early age from that outfit at a young age and made sure I didn't get any more. As always 'Caveat emptor' if you think there are cattle there to use by all means buy them but be very careful in your assesssments.

gcreekrch said:
I am going if I can get away then, would like some of the younger cows if they aren't too dear. Bull sale for sure.

You will only be 1/2 hour away if you come for the cow sale. I might run in to take a look that day.

Northern Rancher said:
'A sucker born every minute'. I got my injection at an early age from that outfit at a young age and made sure I didn't get any more. As always 'Caveat emptor' if you think there are cattle there to use by all means buy them but be very careful in your assesssments.

I wouldn't call 3 heifers, 25 years ago a real representation of Mac's cow herd today Cory.

I find it sad that some have to run down successful operations rather than learn and apply things at home to better themselves.

I thought anybody who sold three heifers -one who had a hydrocephalic calf-one that had a caesaerian and one that we pulled a 130 pound dead out of because we had no vet would be man enough to make it right. It might not of been a big deal to them but for a young starting out it was a big deal. I can go over the bad deals I've seen from there over the years if you like but I'll leave it at that. It's your money to spend but be very aware is all i can say-no doubt by sheer strength of numbers there will be good cattle there but I only allow myself to get screwed once-I'm just glad it wasn't on a larger number.

Northern Rancher said:
I'm done bickering about this by the way.

That's good, I wasn't bickering to begin with, just stating a fact. :wink:

FYI there aren't any Hereford cows in the sale.

If anyone would like discuss these cattle with me you can send a PM with your phone # and I will get back to you.

No herefords he must not have been allergic to money as most hereford guys are.

Latest posts