• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

McCumber Angus

Help Support Ranchers.net:

They are a good solid reputation outfit.
Cattle probably tend to be a little big, if you like that.
I think we discussed them earlier this year.
Here was a short discussion about them and other Angus breeders:

http://www.ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46632&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=mccumber+angus

I have never dealt with- and know little about McCumber-- but in looking at there current sire list it looks like they are moving toward more moderate framed- more maternal cattle than they had with at least some of their herd sires:
http://www.mccumberangus.com/herdsires.html

If looking for some angus bulls in ND- that concentrate on making momma cows and not chasing huge numbers-- I would have to suggest :
Dietz Family Angus
180 W. Gaffy St.
Sentinel Butte, ND 58654
They are tied to (married to ?) Van Dykes and have some good breeding...
Their number one herd sire Cole Creek Cedar Ridge 1V
Reg. # 16134394 is really stirring a lot of interest in a lot of breeders...Both Dietz and Van Dykes have sold bulls sired by him.... He impress's me because of the fact he is double bred both top and bottom to the old Cedar bull- CH Quantum 6247 AAA #12687606 - which according to his owners was just a good old bull while he was alive-- but is now starting to shine with the performance of his daughters/granddaughters....The Cedar daughters/granddaughters I have are good momma cows.... I am now using one grandson out of a nice Juanadamere cow that goes back several times on the other side to Rito 707 and Shoshone Viking ... 10-15 years from now, I'll tell you how he was for making momma cows :wink:

http://www.dfangus.com/sires.html

Another that has some good cattle- focusing mainly on maternal breeding is:
Oak Lane Farm
Scott Shively
103 S Main St., Velva, ND 58790
Phone: 701-338-2646
Mobile: 701-721-3423
Email: [email protected]

Lot of Shoshone Angus breeding ( which is no longer offered as registered from Shoshone)...Bred for maternal- working cattle....

The Tastad family (McCumber Angus) is one fine family of Angus breeders. Just wonderful people and as pleasant to be around as anyone ever was. The cattle are excellent and I'd recommend them highly. Of course, decide for yourself but don't miss the chance to meet these folks and take a look at their stock.

Scott Shively will be able to tell you the truth on their cattle as they are neighbors and he helps them at times. He says they got alot over a 100 sinclair extra daughters that are pretty consistant.They'd be one of my picks for good useable cow's. The bulls seamed a bit fat in their sale but fat sells.

I used to use some of there stuff AI and bought a bull from them, they are wonderful people and a joy to do business with and most of the females I got were great producers but the cows do tend to get a little big. They have changed the program to alot of Sinclair genetics which should downsize . Better or not, time will tell!

rem_243 said:
Has anyone used McCumber Angus bulls or know anything about them?

http://www.mccumberangus.com/
Bought 2 bulls from them in 2001 and another in last years sale (4X13 son). I would confer on the others telling you that they are great people!! The cattle in 2001 were fairly large(1400# cows), but I know that the bloodlines they are using now are alot more moderate. After looking around in March when we were there and seeing all the straw they have to put out for bedding to their spring pairs, I know their cattle can handle some kind of cold winter. Just got calves by the 4X13 son, but they had acceptable birthweight and look good to this point. I'll be able to tell you in about 10 years if he was tops maternally. :D :D I would definitly recommend checking them out and seeing if their the type that would fit your operation. Matt is a great guy and seems very honest.

Latest posts