• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mean-a$$ Coyotes in Canada

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Coyote shot after 2 Calgary toddlers attacked
Last Updated Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:49:03 EDT
CBC News
CALGARY - One coyote has been shot and a second is being tracked after two small children were bitten in separate incidents at Calgary playgrounds Tuesday.
Emergency services says a three-year-old boy was playing in Confederation Park in northwest Calgary at about 10 a.m. when he was attacked.
Witnesses said a coyote grabbed Leonard Mustafa by the head, puncturing the skin on his head, under his eye and on the left side of his face.
A worker from the boy's daycare scared off the animal, which hasn't been confirmed to be a coyote. Leonard was taken to hospital for treatment.
At 3 p.m., paramedics were called to the Rosedale Community Centre in northwest Calgary to deal with a 2 ½-year-old girl.
Ellie Judson had been attacked while playing outside with her babysitter by an animal witnesses described as a coyote.
Her mother, Suzy Judson, said the child had puncture wounds to her head and right ankle.
"We feel quite lucky ... it could have been a lot worse," said Judson. "But it's not a phone call you like to get."
Ellie was taken to hospital for treatment as well.
Mike Plato of the city's Emergency Medical Services branch said it was an unusual day indeed.
"It's more common for paramedics to respond to a call where a child had been bitten by a family dog than to respond to a call twice in the same day where a suspected coyote is involved."
At about 4 p.m., police shot and killed a coyote in the area, one of 1,000 thought to be living within the city of Calgary.
The carcass has been turned over to wildlife officials for tests.

Thats a shame,i guess were lucky,all of our coyotes are small little buggers that can barely handle a jackrabbit.Now dogs,and coydogs are another story,last year the tally on coydogs was 12,and crossbred dogs that are used to trained fighting dogs were rampant,we shot (after unsucessfully trying to aproach) 25 domestic dogs gone wild.Knock on wood i havent even seen any sighn of either so far.But it is a known fact that a domestic,or half domestic wild dog will kill livestock before a coyote will,for the simple reason that they cannnot hunt like a coyote,so they turn to the easy meal,pets,livesock,and lord knows what next...

Mike said:
At about 4 p.m., police shot and killed a coyote in the area, one of 1,000 thought to be living within the city of Calgary.
The carcass has been turned over to wildlife officials for tests.

When I read this part I had the same thought, that it was probably a coydog. Animal control had better get off its butt and start hunting down all the strays and coyotes or it will just continue to happen.

The kids that got bit had been feeding this coyote for some time, and I guess figured it should be getting to be tame enough to hand feed or something. :???:

The only time I went thru downtown Calgary we stopped at a red light, only to look over on the otherside, to see a coyote, standing with one paw up, waiting for the light to turn green. Amazing....

Latest posts