• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Melting Snow

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
Melting snow means high water when there is a lot of snow. The river is supposed to be to the left of the trees in the first picture. It should also be about 5 feet shallower. From the looks of the corral I should be raising rice or water buffalo. Maybe both. The mud puddles in the driveway have grown with assistance from the river. The head gate on the irrigation ditch is closed. But there is so much water running over it that the ditch can't handle all of it. Water it running out of the ditch back into the river. Ditch to the right and river to the left. The 3 foot culvert under the driveway can't handle all the flow from the ditch so it is also running over the driveway. We have genuine "flood irrigation" in the front field. Good thing there isn't any hay left in the stack yard because the bottom bales would be sitting in 8-10 inches of water. Actually me and all of the neighbors have every tap wide open. We need to relieve pressure in the ditch. There is a lot more water going down the ditch than it was designed to handle. We don't want the dike to wash out. That would create even more problems. One of the good things is the down the ditch guys aren't complaining that we are taking too much water.
P5093087.JPG
P5093088.JPG
P5093089.JPG
P5093091.JPG
P5093092.JPG
P5093093.JPG
P5093094.JPG

We had to go to John Day yesterday so were going to come home down the canyon. As we were driving past Hereford Mike said 'surely they would have a sign up if the road is closed'...Not til it turned to gravel. As least we saw some country. One place on the other side of the river, you could only see the tops of the driveway fence posts.

We had to go to John Day yesterday so were going to come home down the canyon. As we were driving past Hereford Mike said 'surely they would have a sign up if the road is closed'...Not til it turned to gravel. As least we saw some country. One place on the other side of the river, you could only see the tops of the driveway fence posts.

I heard that Bridgeport was a big pond. It dropped some this morning. It isn't running on to the driveway now.

I know you all probably had more, but I went back through my journal this morning to add up the snow fall since December 12,2022 to our last snow (I hope) on April 13th. I came up with 107 1/2" snow. At the estimated rate of 12" snow= 1" rain, we got about 9"of moisture! Of course most of that was in drifts. The lovely rain we've had since April 13th has done SO MUCH more good! đź’š

I never had much snow here at the house. For the most part it would snow an inch or 2 and be gone the next day. A couple days later it would do it again. But I am at 2,700 feet elevation. The hills around me at up to around 5,000+ feet. It didn't melt up there. It built up. Up at the old gold mine ghost town of Greenhorn which is over 7,000 feet it was said they had 11 feet of snow built up. That is in the watershed which feeds down into the reservoir. The river has dropped a couple feet but there is still a pretty good spring run off occurring. The temperatures are predicted to be in the 80's for the next week so that snow is going to keep melting.

Latest posts