• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Memorial Day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Thanks< Great Post
Thankfull we have the greatest nation in the world for our neighbours.
Have to apreciate the men and women that do, and have put thier life
on the line,so we can live and enjoy our place in life.
Freedom and health< the two greatest blessings.May we never lose it.
Thank the Lord we still have most of it.

It was 1965 when I recieved a letter from Uncle Sam. It began "Greetings" and was a draft notice. I went to the recruiting office to see what options I could sign up for. Drafted meant Viet Nam, and I thought if there was an option I truley wanted to go for I would sign up, but I would not sign up in an effort to avoid Nam. There was an option where I could "volunteer" for 3 years and be assigned to Alaska. I did that. What a great opportunity! I spent 2 of those three years at Ft. Richardson, Alaska. I had a wonderful time. Due to youth and immaturity, I also had a poor attitude that caused me to fail to make the most of that opportunity to serve to its full potential. I hated the Army, and could not wait to get out. "Lifers" were just losers that could not mae it on the outside in my immature eyes. Experience has taught me to appreciate those military folks who have made a career of serving our nation. I wish I had put more effort into my chance to serve. Today I see my years of service as some of my best. Thanks to all you other vets out there who served with more enthusiam than I.

Shortgrass said:
It was 1965 when I recieved a letter from Uncle Sam. It began "Greetings" and was a draft notice. I went to the recruiting office to see what options I could sign up for. Drafted meant Viet Nam, and I thought if there was an option I truley wanted to go for I would sign up, but I would not sign up in an effort to avoid Nam. There was an option where I could "volunteer" for 3 years and be assigned to Alaska. I did that. What a great opportunity! I spent 2 of those three years at Ft. Richardson, Alaska. I had a wonderful time. Due to youth and immaturity, I also had a poor attitude that caused me to fail to make the most of that opportunity to serve to its full potential. I hated the Army, and could not wait to get out. "Lifers" were just losers that could not mae it on the outside in my immature eyes. Experience has taught me to appreciate those military folks who have made a career of serving our nation. I wish I had put more effort into my chance to serve. Today I see my years of service as some of my best. Thanks to all you other vets out there who served with more enthusiam than I.

I went from Yuma Arizona and a T shirt to Elmendorf and a Parka in 2 days in 1958 - Alaska became a State in 1959 - I Co-Judged the Horse Classes at the First State Fair at Palmer.
I worked part time for a Pack Station/Dud String - My Boss there got me a Resident Lic. in my 4th week there. My part time work got me out of USAF Duty - I shot a Moose almost every week - I'd give the meat to Married Personal in trade for Dinner and a box of 06 Shells (They Pay Cutting n Rape-n) (we had 28 men in a shop designed for 18)
(the best part was the Dude String and the Air Line Stewardess)

Short Story (There is slot of Story here)
An old Home Town Rodeo Buddy showed-up with a (HOT) 40' gas cattle truck - We (he did the drivin n buying) bought Holstein Springers in the lower US for $200 and sold them 11 days later to the Palmer (Matanuska) Dairy Assoc for $700.
When we started the only thing they the could get were OLD 3 TITED COWS
The biggest Class A Dairy in Alaska was Milking 100 cows Lock in Stanchions 24/7 Hock Hi in Sh*t

They nocked ALL Bull Calves in the Head

"Shortgrass"
By the time you got there you were drink Fresh Milk Not Powered - I Helped another Rodeo Friend Start That.

OldDog/NewTricks said:
"Shortgrass"
By the time you got there you were drink Fresh Milk Not Powered - I Helped another Rodeo Friend Start That.

Yes, we did have fresh milk, and now I know who to thank for that! Thanks for the story as well as the milk.

Latest posts