• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Metals, properties thereof, some help here please

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Kathy

Reaction score
I could use some help from any of you resourceful people out there in finding information, or webpage, which describes the "currie point" of various metals and metal alloys.

Explain this:

response from another thread, which I feel I need to repeat here.

Quote:
Quote from TS's thread:
Exposure to 600°C completely ashed the brain samples, which, when reconstituted with saline to their original weights, transmitted disease to 5 of 35 inoculated hamsters. No transmissions occurred after exposure to 1,000°C.

The samples here were "completely ashed" no protein would remain. Therefore no prion, no virus. Yet 5 of 35 developed disease.

I found this explanation on the net for magnetism:

Quote:
The way magnetism works is this: magnetism is all based on the simple principle of electrons and their behavior. Electrons move around the atom in a specific path. As they do this they are also rotating on their own axis. This movement causes an attraction or repulsion from the electrons that are unpaired. They are moving in two directions though causing a negative and positive charge. In the case of magnetism though we find that these elements have a lot of unpaired electrons, in the case of iron, Fe, there are four.

What happens then in the case of a natural magnet is the unpaired electrons line up around the magnet in a specific manner. That is all the atoms with unpaired electrons moving in a direction which causes a certain charge are lined up on one side, and all the atoms with the opposite charge move to the other side. The atoms then start to cancel each other out as they approach the center of the magnet. This all happens at the currie point where these atoms are free to move, and then when cooled and the metal becomes solid the atoms can
no longer move (barely) causing a "permanent" magnet (as in the diagram on the next page).

This same principle can be applied to a piece of metal that has been sitting next to a magnetized piece of metal in that over the long time they are together the very slow moving atoms in the metal situate in the same fashion also creating a magnet.

Could this not explain the cannibalistic - catalyse nature of the prion?

"After temperatures of 1000 degrees celcius, no transmission occurred."

600 C = 1112 F, 1000 C = 1832 F

Melting points of some metals:
tungsten 3410 C
molybdenum 2623 C
platinum 1772 C
titanium 1660 C
iron 1535 C
colbalt 1495 C
nickle 1455 C
silicon 1410 C
manganese 1246 C
uranium 1132 C
copper 1083 C
gold 1064 C
silver 962 C
strontium 769 C
barium 725 C
aluminum 660 C
magnesium 650 C
zinc 419 C
lead 327 C
cadmium 320 C

Melting point is of interest., as the currie point must be lower than the melting point of an individual metal(s) What are the currie points and melting points of metal alloys such as Alnico - aluminum-nickel-cobalt, neodymium -iron-boron, Sumarium Cobalt.

Since nothing is left after these high temperatures but ash, the answer to factor X must lie with the basic molecular components.

The new RockyMountain Lab report states that size of the aggregate matters, and only specifically-sized prion aggregates induce "infection". How can this be?
Also these aggregates are not 100% PrPres (resistant), [RML says they not 100% pure]. What other factor is involved in making the size of the aggregate re-active? Perhaps Dr. Vodyanoy's PNC - proteon nucleated centers? molecules of dioxin, PCBs? nanoparticles of radio-active material? paramagnetic metal nanoparticles?

If you can help me gather information on the properties of metals, ie: currie points, melting points, etc. please give me a personal message or post it hear for all to see.

Latest posts