• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mice bait

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
What do you all use for mouse bait/poison? We haven't had mice to speak of, but we are seeing more now.
All that is available is De-Con and TomCat. We used to use a golden colored bar bait but I can't find it.
Any suggestions as to what works best? TIA.

We get Green blocks from the Municipal office. I checked a bait station today and it was cleaned up so rebaited it. WE try to keep quite a but out, Put bags of mouse pellets out between rows of Oat bales as we haled them in.
Seems the mice are starting to look for a way in for the winter.

Big Muddy rancher said:
We get Green blocks from the Municipal office. I checked a bait station today and it was cleaned up so rebaited it. WE try to keep quite a but out, Put bags of mouse pellets out between rows of Oat bales as we haled them in.
Seems the mice are starting to look for a way in for the winter.

They love oat bales!! Which brings to mind, we used to put up a lot of oat hay and never once did we check it
for nitrates and never once did we have any issues. Isn't that something? Wouldn't dare do that now.

TexasBred said:
Most of the time we'll just put some peanut butter on the trigger. They seem to like it.

Thats what we do too, but I was asking about mice bar bait Guess I didn't make that very clear.
Anyway, we have put out traps, only caught one mouse in 2 weeks, so guess we don't have a barrage of
them. One summer, at the ranch, we caught 44 mice!!! UGH. I hate mice!

Of course it's a no-no to use a product in a manner in which it isn't labeled, but if you have a sack of Rozol for prairie dogs, I've set out a pan of that out to kill rodents. Don't tell anyone.

We have better luck with the Tomcat bars, and like the rest of you, we really go through them this time of year. The Hawk bars are also green with a little different texture and color, but for some reason they don't seem to work as well for us.

Dogs love all of the bars, so be sure to use them in a bait station or keep an eye out for them if you think you have put them in places that dogs can't get to. Sometimes rats will pull them out and leave uneaten chunks that dogs can get at.

Never had much luck getting them to inadvertently accidentally eat the Rozol, Martins, Kaput, or any of those gopher baits. Very unfortunate that Traveler has to put up with those darn rats and mice getting into the bait that he keeps specifically for other purposes.

Feral cats, and occasional bags of cat food to keep them healthy enough to really enjoy hunting!

Haven't seen a mouse in many years, not since I started feeding the cats to keep them around. And the cats stay wild enough not to be under-foot when we go out doors! Best of both worlds, I guess.
mrj

Latest posts