• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mid October 2012

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Mydadshowedupatthecorrals800x600.jpg

My dad showed up at the corrals as we loaded calves on trucks.
Thesoftsandinthecorrals800x600.jpg

The sand is soft in the corrals. Dust is an ongoing factor.
Thecrew800x600.jpg

The crew
Moreofthecrewshowedup800x600.jpg

More of the crew showed up.
Awell-attendedmeeting800x600.jpg

A well attended meeting where a bureaucrat is telling us that the post office will at least go to shorter hours, and probably be closed altogether. :roll:
Sortingreplacementheifercalves800x600.jpg

Sorting replacement heifer calves
SunflowerandGooseholdtheherd800x600.jpg

Sunflower and Goose hold the herd
Yellowstonefrommyperspective800x600.jpg

Yellowstone from my perspective
Cowsandcalvesonthemove800x600.jpg

Cows and calves on the move
Throughthegate800x600.jpg

Through the gate
Freshgrassforweaning800x600.jpg

A smidgen of fresh grass saved back for weaning. The right side of the fence has had no cattle in it all summer, but it still has almost no
grass because of late freezes, little or no rain, and a multitude of grasshoppers eating what was there.
KosmoKidshuttingthegate800x600.jpg

Kosmo Kid shutting the gate
Whilestayingastridehishorse800x600.jpg

While staying astride his horse
YellowstonehalfTWHandhalfQH800x600.jpg

Yellowstone, half Tennessee Walking Horse and half Quarter Horses. He's a pretty good horse.
Cowsaboutreadytolearntheircalvesarenolongerwiththem800x600.jpg

Cows about ready to realize their calves are no longer with them
Thecowshavebeensorted800x600.jpg

The cows have been sorted
Soweretakingthemhome800x600.jpg

So we are taking them home to lock them in the dusty corrals
Heifercalvesbeingweaned800x600.jpg

Heifer calves being weaned
Weaningdayonreplacementheifers800x600.jpg

They will stay on the clean ground where there is still a little bit of grass.

You have done a good job managing those pairs, Soap. They certainly don't look droughty. They look good.

Your dad looks a bit chilly in that first picture!

Sorry about losing your post office. That's gonna make it pretty inconvenient for those in that get their mail in small towns. Even here they have cut back the hours the post office is open.

Faster horses said:
You have done a good job managing those pairs, Soap. They certainly don't look droughty. They look good.

Sorry about losing your post office. That's gonna make it pretty inconvenient for those in that get their mail in small towns. Even here they have cut back the hours the post office is open.

I suppose one way or another, the bills will still arrive in everyone's mailboxes. :wink:

What the Post Office should do is to contract that business to private enterprise. I guarantee that a private business could either turn the postal service into a profitable deal, or someone else could. The government should just step aside and allow this to happen, and try their best not to strangle this or any other business with undoable regulations.

"Obamacare" should take a lesson. If the government run postal business cannot be run profitably, a government run medical business for sure can't be run profitably. Government needs to protect our borders, and then more or less get out of the way so private businesses can succeed.

Soapweed said:
Faster horses said:

I suppose one way or another, the bills will still arrive in everyone's mailboxes. :wink:

What the Post Office should do is to contract that business to private enterprise. I guarantee that a private business could either turn the postal service into a profitable deal, or someone else could. The government should just step aside and allow this to happen, and try their best not to strangle this or any other business with undoable regulations.

"Obamacare" should take a lesson. If the government run postal business cannot be run profitably, a government run medical business for sure can't be run profitably. Government needs to protect our borders, and then more or less get out of the way so private businesses can succeed.

Well said, Soap. :clap:

One of our hunters years ago was a mailman in Minnesota. Boy, could he tell some stories of how the post office ran. He delivered the mail on foot and he was not allowed to cross the lawns, had to use the sidewalk and if he couldn't get his mail delivered in a certain amount of time, the PO hired another person. Same with sorting the mail. If they couldn't do it in an allowed amount of time, another person was hired. They couldn't sort faster and there was someone there timing them. :???: This was back in the late '60's, early '70's.

Soapweed said:
Faster horses said:

Absolutely :agree: :clap:

Latest posts