• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Minnesota has big Deer also

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny

Reaction score
100_1325.jpg

100_1322.jpg

After sitting in my stand this morning for 2 minutes this rascal appeared about 250 yards down the fence line.A hot doe had all of his attention.Who say's you can't sleep in once in awhile.

As I was leaveing I had another jump the fence about the same size with 2 drop tines going back after him also.

Nice deer , super nice uniform rack! Good luck on the drop tine.

We had a miserably unsuccessful hunt last week. Too warm (65-70 degrees) deer weren't moving. Not many deer taken right across our whole area.

Did you put the tape to him-I'm guessing 150 plus-I passed a pretty decent buck the other day-I was going to pick up some moose sausage and he crossed in front of me then hung up in the bush-alot like that buck but not quite as wide. We only get one buck tag here so I let him go. That deer would look awesome as a european mount if you don't want to do a full head.

Northern Rancher said:
Did you put the tape to him-I'm guessing 150 plus-I passed a pretty decent buck the other day-I was going to pick up some moose sausage and he crossed in front of me then hung up in the bush-alot like that buck but not quite as wide. We only get one buck tag here so I let him go. That deer would look awesome as a european mount if you don't want to do a full head.

I know nothing about scoreing him.We only get one tag here also but we can party hunt so basically if you can find someone with an open tag that is willing to tag them you can keep hunting.I just buy more tags for my wife and girls none of them hunt anymore.

canadian angus said:
Was that a two year old?

Body wise I would say so.He weighed 183#s dressed must have burnt off all his weight on the prowl.

Yup,I agree with the rest,thats a nice buck,what did you shoot him with ? how far did he go after you shot ?
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Yup,I agree with the rest,thats a nice buck,what did you shoot him with ? how far did he go after you shot ?
good luck

I should lie but I will tell the truth He was about 250 yards away broadside and I missed him the first two shots.He turned to walk away and I shot him in the back of the neck off to one side and the bullet broke his jaw.I walked down to where he was at and he was standing 50 feet away with a major tooth ache.I then shot him in the heart and he ran another 100 feet before expireing.I use a savage 270 bolt action with a factory scope and 150 grain bullets the cheapest I can buy.

Maybe your regulations are more stringent down there Denny.
Up here if we miss at less than a hundred yards you tell people that the regs. say you are supposed to fire a warning shot first. If they don't run you fire a second warning shot. :oops: :D

Times go by and things change but with Dad's crew if you missed period you got a notch out of the bill of your hunting cap. Every one of them wore an orange cap and they all knew how many notches everybody had so showing up with a new cap didn't help! When I think of them guys I still picture the notched caps except for Tony, cause he never missed.

You must of caught a little more than his jaw-those big whitetails can vacuum up lead at times. Wayyyy tougher than a moose. We keep hitting them till they are down for good-seen a couple 'dead' bucks get away over the years not a good deal at all. The worst was a genuine Booner that a guy didn't want to finish off because he was sure it was done-it got up made the bush and he never did find it. The dumbass stood there ten feet away and never sealed the deal-that was our last hunt together. Your not the first guy to miss a big guy like that-ninety percent of people shoot at the horns-the Hanson buck even has a bullet hole in his beam. Good deal you were able to take care of things. I shoot 130 grain Federals in my .270 they come on sale at the Co-op every fall lol.

Doug Thorson said:
Times go by and things change but with Dad's crew if you missed period you got a notch out of the bill of your hunting cap. Every one of them wore an orange cap and they all knew how many notches everybody had so showing up with a new cap didn't help! When I think of them guys I still picture the notched caps except for Tony, cause he never missed.

Memories like that are what keep guys hunting I think. I have memories of a couple of old guys that took me a few times and i can remember them like yesterday. :D

Doug Thorson said:

I would'nt have a bill on my hat if I had to do that.

Northern Rancher said:
You must of caught a little more than his jaw-those big whitetails can vacuum up lead at times. Wayyyy tougher than a moose. We keep hitting them till they are down for good-seen a couple 'dead' bucks get away over the years not a good deal at all. The worst was a genuine Booner that a guy didn't want to finish off because he was sure it was done-it got up made the bush and he never did find it. The dumbass stood there ten feet away and never sealed the deal-that was our last hunt together. Your not the first guy to miss a big guy like that-ninety percent of people shoot at the horns-the Hanson buck even has a bullet hole in his beam. Good deal you were able to take care of things. I shoot 130 grain Federals in my .270 they come on sale at the Co-op every fall lol.

I here you there after I got to him he was still kicking some and I gave him one last insurance shot.I got an 8 point last year and dropped him on the first shot but gave him 2 more to finish him completly.

When I was a kid my Dad dropped a big buck it layed there for 10 minutes picked its head up about 4 inches and let out a bellar.He did'nt shoot it again and a minute later it made a quick up and escape motion.It was raining that day and we never did find it From then on just keep shooting until there finished..

Latest posts