• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

mirafount waterer float valve freezes up! any ideas?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

scolay

Reaction score
it has been below 0 here in Indiana, mirafount waterers have been ok, but the float valve mechanism in the little blue box keeps freezing, I have to take the lid off and pour hot water on top of box, and it unthaws, does anyone have any ideas to keep this from freezing? thanks, Scott

Assuming that the water level is set properly and the balls are sealing properly, what I did is place a portable windbreak on the windward side of waterer. Only seem to have freezing problem with excessive windchill.

logo_miraFount_sm.gif

Water from the ground is normally around 42° to 52° F. When water enters a Miraco MiraFount waterer, the closures float up and seal off the drinking ports creating a thermos for livestock.

Whenever an animal drinks, it removes a quantity of water which is immediately replaced by ground-temperature water through a valve. This exchange of water keeps the water warm even in the coldest climates, and cool in warm climates.

A minimum of 20 head of livestock will keep the MiraFount frost free all winter

What Model?
http://www.gallagherusa.com/watering.components.aspx?mktcatid=22

Heated or energy free?

How many holes?

How many beeves drinking from it?

How far are they walking to it?

Are they using it all the time or coming as a group to use it once or twice a day?

not sure exactly on model #, looks like #3465, it is an energy free waterer with two holes, we have 3 of them, average 20-30 beef cattle per waterer, for the most part they stay out in small fields, or in barn. usually come up a few times a day, waterers aren't freezing during day, usually overnight, so they probably aren't using much overnight which is probably the problem.

according to the MiraFount recomendation your waterer is big enough to handle 100 animals each. I've heard of people hanging a light bulb somewhere inside the waterer to cause a little heat and keep the valve from freezing on other waterer types. I've never done it. Problem is you probably would have bought a heated unit if you had electricity near the thing. You can try to make a windbreak, it could possibly help. The real problem is the size, the water is not being replaced fast enough. Are the cattle in 3 groups? If not maybe you could cut the water off to one. I put those valves in line to my waterers that you can turn off above ground, If not then you really need to downsize the model if you aren't planning on expanding, you should be able to get a good salvage value selling the current model. Of course this is the time of year you probably don't want to do that. You may need to keep doing what you're doing until it warms up. Can you shut the water off to it at night?

Latest posts