• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mirages, or however you spell it. lol

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

This time of the year through mid winter we have the neatest mirages once in a while. You could not predict what day you might see one other than clear days, and early mornings seem to help. The several sets of pine hills, and other high hills give the appearance that they are way higher or lots wider than they actually are. They might look to be 20-30 miles across sometimes. A passer through probably would not know that they are not the real terrain, unless they watched them change some. To the north and to the south of here are the only directions that I ever notice a mirage.

Just wondering if anyone else gets to see them, and what they look like. And i am not talking about the appearance of water on the hiway or anything like that. If I think of it I will try to take a picture sometime, and show it compared to the actual look of things. They are a wonder to see, and sometimes will last a long time, until the sun gets higher in the sky. How about you Liberty Belle? Do you get to see them? It must be one of the perks of living in this Godforsaken country.

We get them too...honestly can see hills and towns 20 -30 miles away lights forever on those nights, kinda wierd but true :!:

We do, too. Usually early in the morning, and usually to the north. If you didn't live around here, at that time of day and driving by, you'd think we lived fairly close to a thick forest with lots of hills. By 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning, everything's back to normal.

On this ranch we have some land on the north edge of the sandhills in SD. Some mornings up in that country you can see the buttes of the Badlands. But in reality there probably 60 miles as the hawk flys. They look hundreds of feet tall and look like there just north of Martin,SD. :!:

Every now and then I see mirages of black helicopters. Once in a great while I see the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Other than that haven't seen any since I was young on the way home early in the morning. I seen mirages of car lights, looked like four when really there was only 2.

Every now and then I see mirages of black helicopters. Once in a great while I see the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Other than that haven't seen any since I was young on the way home early in the morning. I seen mirages of car lights, looked like four when really there was only 2.
Sounds like an episode of the x files, or maybe bad miller lite. :lol:

When I look in the mir'age is all I see. It's heck to see that old face staring back at me. :shock: :( :? :???: :)

Seriously, we do have mirages around here. (Saddletramp calls them "mir-Ah-gees". :wink: ) Sometimes we can even "see" the pine covered hills by Chadron sticking up high in the air. This is about 80 miles away.

Dad and I went over to the west one day to look at a bull, about 6 miles west of us. On the way we could see Devils Tower sticking up. It must be 80 miles or so away and hidden by pine clad hills.

I kind'a like to say mir ag ee myself! :wink:

'Course, you gott'a cut poor ol' Saddle Tramp some slack as he can't even pronounce "Chinks" right. :lol:

In the good 'ol 80's when I worked in northeast Colorado by winter time I could see the foothills like the next pasture over; and i could read the graffiti on the water tower in Grover, about 45 miles away.
This isn't a phenomen of vision, but a function of the angle of the light.

Uhggg, I feel all left out now. All I've ever seen is the occasional mirage on the horizon at the end of a long, flat, strait stretch of west texas highway.
That must be really somethin to see , these mirages ya'll are talkin about. Maybe one day I'll get to see one.

Nicky said:
How does he pronouce it :???: :wink:

He say's "Sheenks". I'm going to start calling them by their original name, armitas.

Jersey, don't you wish you lived up north where it's dry and we have mirages to be seen? :lol:

It don't get that cold up here. -20 to -40 once in awhile. Most of the time we are close tro your temps, at least for a little while. And besides, it's a dry cold! :lol:

Come visit in the spring or fall. Right now wouldn't be all bad. We got a bunkhouse your welcome to sleep in and we'd probably feed you a good steak or two. :)

Be careful Jersy lilly. :lol: Any body who pronouces Chinks like the mud you put between cabin logs will try to lead you astray. I myself have been lead down some rocky trails with this one. :wink: :wink: :roll:

Saddletramp "Any body who pronouces Chinks like the mud you put between cabin logs will try to lead you astray."

Hahaha, I'm one of those.....when should I start leadin??? :lol: :lol: :lol: and which way's astray???

Mirages are just one of those amazing natural wonders that happen every once in a while. :!: Like the northern lights, or Jinglebob catching on the first loop. Some phenomena just can't be explained. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yuk,Yuk,Yuk :wink:

Latest posts