• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mistakes while working cattle?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

If you see a guy show up with a broken sorting stick and let him run the gate, that is usually a mistake.

When using a 4-wheeler, remember there is only one brain involved. Make sure it is turned on.

When using a horse, remember there are 2 brains that have to think alike.

There are times when you need to push to get the job done. Every time you have to push, give the cattle a 10 minute break after.

We normally keep it pretty quiet. Only time we get loud is when a bunch of them have their heads in a corner and won't turn to get out of it.
There is a gate they hate to go through. It means they are going to get shots or a hand up the backside.

Rarely use a hot shot. Got one and the last time we used it was to get a snotty cow to load on the truck. It's gotten more use of husband and son shocking each other then it ever has on our cows. :roll:

Had a neighbor come help us one year and he brought a hot shot. Got our cows so stirred up we threatened to put that hot shot somewhere on him. One of those guys that can't stand still or listen. He lost 10 doeses of the vaccine we were using and we had to keep 6 head back til I could get the vaccine the next day.
Never had him back to help us again.

This is a story I wrote back in November of 2002 on Ranchers.net.

A Wreck Working Cattle

We have a good friend who is cowboy through-and-through. He has worked on many Sandhill ranches in the past thirty years, and has broke quite a few horses. He has helped us calve the past four years, and always has a way of keeping morale up when the going gets really tough. He loves a good story and also writes cowboy poetry that has a way of hitting the nail on the head with authenticity. One time he asked another rancher what the biggest cattle working wreck was that he had ever seen. The other gentleman didn't bat an eye and said that was an easy question. He had been helping his old neighbor when this deal happened.

This old rancher had put together a dandy cow outfit deep in the heart of the Sandhills. He had pulled himself up by his boot-straps, with a lot of hard work, diligence and frugality. He worked hard, played hard, and "didn't believe in coffee breaks." When work was getting done, this old feller liked to see things happen, and he most of all wanted to see everybody look like they were busy.

On this particular autumn day, a good-sized group of cowboys (including both ranch hands and neighbors) had gathered about a thousand cows with their calves off of several thousand acres of summer range. The goal of the day was to corral this bunch of cattle, separate the cows from the calves, and keep them apart to wean the calves. The calves would be wintered with hay and cake, summered the next year, wintered again, and eventually all the steers would be sold as two-year-olds off of summer grass. The heifers not retained as replacements to make into cows were probably sold as yearling feeder heifers. Anyway, things were going smoothly and the big bunch of cattle was all just about maneuvered into the corrals. The owner, who was getting up in years and a little crippled, was carrying a cane on his saddle horse. Impatient to get the rest of the cattle behind the corral gate, this old feller pulled his cane along the ribs of a corrugated tin windbreak to make a little extra racket. This spooked the herd of cattle and they all hit the other end of the wooden corrals with great gusto. The fence went down and the cattle stampeded in all directions. Most ended up ten miles from headquarters after going through several barbed wire fences. They were at the far end of where they had started from, and not nearly as easy to get along with for the second round-up. Five days later the cowboys had the herd gathered again and back where they were before the windbreak ruckus. It was a good thing that the owner himself caused the commotion, because anyone else would have been fired right on the spot.

Oh, for the life of a cowboy!

When I worked A'I jobs I tried to turn the batteries backwards in the hotshots-right after I zapped the blue heelers waiting by the chute. After that things went pretty smoothly most times.

Cattle are best handled like husbands.

Be patient. Stay still. Don't say anything. Make the way you want them to go be the easiest way, and let them think it's their idea.

Works every time. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And remember... the more you hurry the slower you go.

Kato said:
Cattle are best handled like husbands.

Be patient. Stay still. Don't say anything. Make the way you want them to go be the easiest way, and let them think it's their idea.

Works every time. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And remember... the more you hurry the slower you go.

Ohhhh but the female human is a devious creature! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am 48 and, like most of you, have worked around cattle my whole life. 6 months ago I would have told you I was pretty good at moving cattle around. I noticed the Bud Williams stockmanship video ads in the Stockmans Grassfarmer, but resisted ordering for a couple of years. I finally gave in last winter and spent the measly $125. Totally changed how I work cattle now. Similar concepts to what has been posted on this thread, and tied together in humorous presentation. There are other good cattle handling consultants out there too, we just need to be a little open minded.

With few exceptions the slower you work any livestock the quicker you will get done!

Move them slow to medium speed with no yelling, horn beeping or rock throwing. Use your positioning to trail them along. I trail cattle and leave driving them for the movies.

If you are in charge of the cattle, DON'T BE AFRAID TO TELL OTHERS TO GET OUT!!!!! We went to our last branding yesterday. Neighbor tries to be nice, and let anyone and everyone help sort. When its just him and his BIL they can sort a couple hundred head while the rest of us are getting our horses unloaded. Yesterday, I think all of his "helpers" turned 5 or 6 calves out of the pen. You should have seen the race. Anybody that was carrying a rope thought they had to chase the calves, and it was never towards the pens.

Long story short, there can only be 1 boss, and choose your help carefully. Don't be afraid to offend someone. Its your money that is being wasted by poor handling abilities.

LazyWP said:
If you are in charge of the cattle, DON'T BE AFRAID TO TELL OTHERS TO GET OUT!!!!! We went to our last branding yesterday. Neighbor tries to be nice, and let anyone and everyone help sort. When its just him and his BIL they can sort a couple hundred head while the rest of us are getting our horses unloaded. Yesterday, I think all of his "helpers" turned 5 or 6 calves out of the pen. You should have seen the race. Anybody that was carrying a rope thought they had to chase the calves, and it was never towards the pens.

Long story short, there can only be 1 boss, and choose your help carefully. Don't be afraid to offend someone. Its your money that is being wasted by poor handling abilities.

This is exactly the reason we went to branding our own calves. We don't need forty riders to corral our cattle. By working them one herd at a time, three of us can corral our cattle very easily. We don't work them fast, so they are not apprehensive about being corralled.

I appreciated the way you and Lisa worked quietly and easily on the day you helped. You both were always in the right place at the right time, and those qualities are greatly admired.

Latest posts