• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MLV's and abortions

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Texan

Reaction score
Are any of you following the renewed discussion about MLV's being linked to IBR-related abortions?

http://beefmagazine.com/vaccination/controversy-over-mlv-vs-killed-vaccines-rekindled

I switched from Cattlemaster VL5 to Bovishield FP5VL5 several years ago and thought that I was doing the right thing. I felt like the MLV during pregnancy was really setting my calves up to respond well to the Bovishield that I give them at branding - along with giving the cows better protection.

Now I don't know what to think. I know that I've lost some pregnancies over the last couple of years, but I attributed those to heat and drought. Now I'm having second thoughts. But...since a lot of this research seems to come from the people who make Virashield, I'm also having doubts about that.

Do any of you that use an MLV in your cowherd have any thoughts?

We used Virashield for years, then we felt the pressure from the buyers to use a MLV. We used it, had an abortion or two and could not tell one bit of difference other than that. I like Virashield and we went back to using it.
At branding time the only thing our calves got was Vision 7. A really good vet told us that most of the calves at branding time are too young to take
advantage of the immunity from the vaccine. They still have their own immunity. So we quit doing that. Never saw any difference except in the checkbook. Very, very seldom did we have a sick calf in the summer. Most years we didn't doctor one calf and never lost any. I guess those 9 years
(1985-1993) we had nothing but sickness finally averaged out.

A friend did the same, used Virashield and switched. He had more problems after switching, so he also went back to Virashield. The vet we use recommended Virashield. But he's about the only one.

we were thinking of using the mlv during pregnancy but our vet has recommended against it. His advice was use the mlv's before breeding or the killed during the pregnancy. We are trying to cut an extra time up the chute and shorten branding day up. We now have a year to decide. After reading the article we will either stay the same or change to the killed. According to him the killed has become just as good as the mlv. IMO one abortion from any vaccine is to many.

muddyviewrancher said:
we were thinking of using the mlv during pregnancy but our vet has recommended against it. His advice was use the mlv's before breeding or the killed during the pregnancy. We are trying to cut an extra time up the chute and shorten branding day up. We now have a year to decide. After reading the article we will either stay the same or change to the killed. According to him the killed has become just as good as the mlv. IMO one abortion from any vaccine is to many.
True, but there are abortions that just happen and who knows why. Blaming the vaccine is an easy way to put the blame somewhere.

I am with FH on this one. Been using Virashield since 97 we are sold. Been chastized by several vets over the years but they are strarting to see the light.

There was a program a month or so ago on RFD tv that interviewed some different vets and one was the University of Wyoming. They all told of case histories of ML trainwrecks. We won't change our program because what we are doing is working.

WB said:
I am with FH on this one. Been using Virashield since 97 we are sold. Been chastized by several vets over the years but they are strarting to see the light.

There was a program a month or so ago on RFD tv that interviewed some different vets and one was the University of Wyoming. They all told of case histories of ML trainwrecks. We won't change our program because what we are doing is working.

Really?That's good news! Glad they are coming around!

At one time we were advised by a vet that the Triangle vaccines made by Ft. Dodge weren't as effective as they should be. FWIW

My vet says the lable states a MLV will cause up to 50% abortions if used after conception and as such recommends it only if the hiefters were given it prior to first exposiure then it can be used for the rest of their life - - - that does not fit my program so I'm staying with the Vets recomendation and using killed

We use MLV pre-breeding (Express) on the cows. We don't booster post-breeding. Our vet believes they work better than killed and I think they work really well (I don't want to find out they are working by not using them). If we buy bred cows we always vaccinate them with a killed vaccine (novartis) and quarantine them off the trailer for a couple of weeks before they ever get into the cow herd..
My understanding of the label claims now is that if cows have been on an MLV program it is ok to booster/vaccinate during pregnancy, but if not it can cause high levels of abortion.

We have been using Bovishield Gold FP5VL5/HB at the same time we give our scour shot in the spring for 4 or 5 years now. We always have some late term abortions, especially in the coming 2 year old heifers, such as right now I've had three bulling in the last month that were due to calve in March, but that is on 260 head, so I don't know whether to attribute that to vaccine, or Mother Nature. We give our replacements their shots early in the spring, at least 2 months prior to breeding with the Bovishield as well. I've been struggling with the killed vs. MLV question for years. Some vets will tell you, especially baby calves, can't handle the MLV, and the next one says if you don't use MLV at branding, or in your cowherd, you just as well shoot it on the ground :???: :???: If anyone else has input, please add to this post, as I am always looking for a better way when it comes to herd health. I'll agree with the statement one lost calf, or pregnancy, is very disheartning, but I've come to the realization it will happen some, but I just always wonder if I'm getting repaid for the $20.00+ per head I've invested in each weaned calf on vaccine, etc. I just expect with the mineral and vaccine program we use, it should be more effective than it seems to at times.

Latest posts