• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Monensin poisoning in horses

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cracker hand

Reaction score
What types of symptoms would you expect to see in Monensin poisoning in horses? How long could a horse last after the poisoning prior to death? Would the symptoms look the same as if the horse ate milk weed or some other toxix plant?

Thanks for the help.

Acting colicky. Wobbly. They won't last long after ingestion.

Maybe 12 hours. Maybe not.

Neighbor had one die with ionosphore poisoning last year. It went away 4 hours after eating some chicken feed.

Monensin, isolated from Streptomyces cinnamonensis, is a well-known representative of naturally polyether ionophore antibiotics.
--------
Monensin is used extensively in the beef and dairy industries to prevent coccidiosis, increase the production of propionic acid and prevent bloat.

I had to look up what Monensin was-- to me its another one of those "thangs" like the chicken **** that the southerners feed to cows that should be outlawed......Just my personal feelings......

if they won't live without filling them full of ****-- natural or human made- maybe it shouldn't be done...

Rumensin, is alot more deadly than bovatec. I wouldn't feed bovatec to horses, but have seen them eat bovatec and survive quite well. Bovatec has always been a lot safer, Rumensin has more kick to it in cattle.

Oldtimer said:
I had to look up what Monensin was-- to me its another one of those "thangs" like the chicken s*** that the southerners feed to cows that should be outlawed......Just my personal feelings......
Not all southerners feed litter and I would assume not all northerners have lot fences made from bicycles and bed springs.

LOL, I just picked up 3 cows from someone this weekend, first time I had actually seen bed springs used in a fence, as "patches."

redrobin said:
Oldtimer said:
I had to look up what Monensin was-- to me its another one of those "thangs" like the chicken s*** that the southerners feed to cows that should be outlawed......Just my personal feelings......
Not all southerners feed litter and I would assume not all northerners have lot fences made from bicycles and bed springs.

Chicken litter feeding has literally gone away here in the last 5 years due to the recordkeeping restrictions imposed on chicken farmers as to the whereabouts of the destination of litter when it leaves the farm.

It goes on hayfields as fertilizer now.

But Monensin (or inonosphores) are still fed to broiler chickens throughout the USA & Canada. It's nearly impossible to find a broiler feed that doesn't contain it. According to the World Poultry website approx. 75% of all broiler chickens ingest an ionophore during their lifetime.

P.S. A colorful array of a brighly colored bicycle framed fence can surely brighten one's day!

every sustainable ranch up here has some cheap filler lol. One neighbor has a pig pen made out of old cars-you just scoot them out over the front seat lol.

Mike said:
redrobin said:
Oldtimer said:

Chicken litter feeding has literally gone away here in the last 5 years due to the recordkeeping restrictions imposed on chicken farmers as to the whereabouts of the destination of litter when it leaves the farm.

It goes on hayfields as fertilizer now.

But Monensin (or inonosphores) are still fed to broiler chickens throughout the USA & Canada. It's nearly impossible to find a broiler feed that doesn't contain it. According to the World Poultry website approx. 75% of all broiler chickens ingest an ionophore during their lifetime.

P.S. A colorful array of a brighly colored bicycle framed fence can surely brighten one's day!

And bedsprings help to repell things that you may not want in your pasture...such as bicycle riders....cars...etc. :D Cuz ya know when ya pass a bicycle rider with a Dodge Dually and a 35 ft horse trailer they have a tendancy to head for the bar ditch....usually in a wobbly state. Sometimes making it all the way to the fenceline.

Faster horses said:
When we bought this place there were at least 8 old combines in the
yard. The seller thought we would want to line them up and use them for "windbreak." :shock: :shock: :roll: :D

That would be picturesque only if they were all different colors, not just "Rustic Brown". :wink:

cracker hand said:
Mike, Thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for.

As for the rest of you, you sure get off topic quick!! :lol:
Mike posted the answer right away so there was not much topic left.

Latest posts