• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Montana Brands

Help Support Ranchers.net:

badroute

Reaction score
I have been looking through afew farm papers and is it just me or are brands completely out of line price-wise. It seems like every tom,dick and harry with a brand thinks he has a gold mine on paper. I have seen alot of bad 3 iron brands priced in the 5 figure range. Makes me wonder what a decent brand would actually be worth.

Forget what ranch has the state of montana brand, but I've heard some rich dude from the east offered to buy it (only the right to the brand not the ranch or cows) for somewhere in the high 6 digit range and they turned him down.

Yeah, it's the same here in CO. I see quite a few brands in the paper that are three iron and would be hard to put on for $3500 on up. If you want a three iron brand you can still make up your own & probably get close to the characters you want and all you got to do is pay the application ($50) & five year assessment fee ($225). I don't know who in their right mind would pay 4 figures or more for a three iron brand.

The Kalfell Ranch out of Terry, MT has the state of MT brand. It is a neat brand and been in the family for a long time also. I believe they celebrated 100 years a year or two ago. It might have actually been last year at the big Stockgrowers shindig.

I am seeing more and more brands in the papers, maybe it has to do with the fact that they are to be re-upped next year and some people would rather sell them than re-up them.

Badroute, your L7 brand is a good one. IMO
We'd sell a 2 letter Mt. brand, Lazy K with an X underneath it.
Just give us a bid. :p

Our main brand is a C hanging C on the right hip.
It will be for sale someday. It's a good one, we think.
I see lots of three letter brands that aren't worth $5--
to us anyway.

I had been using my dad's brand J over an O on the ribs where he used it on the left hip. The fall of 1943 I bought 53 bred Hereford heifers from a reputation herd and decided to find a brand. I went through the Nebraska brand book and saw a brand that I liked in the ownership of a local retired rancher. I asked him if he would be willing to sell it. He said that he didn't need it any more and decided to not renew it. I called the brand board and was able to get it for the normal fee. It is a rafter over M which is identical to the Marlboro brand which is registered in Colorado. My daughters saw their brand that could be purchased, the two figures on one iron. I got it for my birthday. Through the years I wore out many branding irons. Should I ever go back in the cattle business I have a branding iron hanging on the wall I'll heat up!

Bob M said:
I had been using my dad's brand J over an O on the ribs where he used it on the left hip. The fall of 1943 I bought 53 bred Hereford heifers from a reputation herd and decided to find a brand. I went through the Nebraska brand book and saw a brand that I liked in the ownership of a local retired rancher. I asked him if he would be willing to sell it. He said that he didn't need it any more and decided to not renew it. I called the brand board and was able to get it for the normal fee. It is a rafter over M which is identical to the Marlboro brand which is registered in Colorado. My daughters saw their brand that could be purchased, the two figures on one iron. I got it for my birthday. Through the years I wore out many branding irons. Should I ever go back in the cattle business I have a branding iron hanging on the wall I'll heat up!

Just send a check with Soapweed he'll find you a bargain at the sale barn and you'll be back in business. :D

FH, actually my brand is supposed to be offset with the 7 sliding halfway down. It is hard to screw up even with when the brander is full of beer.

I have another brand that I really like but don't ever use, it is a T with a heart over the upper right corner of the T. My dad always said you would never lose money with a good brand.

Yeah those people are nuts.
I offered to buy a brand our uncle has, he wouldn't sell it.

Lazy H hanging Lazy 5.

going to wait til after the re-up and see what is left.

I think it's $25 to register one here and to my knowledge you can't sell your brand-Megan's MOO on the right hip would be wortrh a fortune lol.

It costs $100 plus tax ($107.00) to register a brand per position here. You can register a brand in 6 positions on a cow; shoulder, rib, hip, left and right sides. Horses are only hip and shoulder. I think renewals come up every 5 years, and cost $75 per position.
The brand I really wanted was the horse brand a long deceased neighbour had, C hanging reverse C. It looked great as a jaw brand. Sadly, they won't let you register a reverse C here anymore (or a jaw brand for that matter).

Northern Rancher said:
I think it's $25 to register one here and to my knowledge you can't sell your brand-Megan's MOO on the right hip would be wortrh a fortune lol.

Our Neighbor's brand is COW left rib. His uncle registered it and it passed on with the place.

Our horse brand is the Circle Y left Jaw. We should be using it more.

You can't hardly get a new 2 figure brand either here or in Colorado anymore, so most new folks are stuck with either getting an abortion of a brand approved by the State or have to purchase an older brand for big bucks.

Most opt for the abortion.

bart.

<><

I seen a couple brands for sale about fifteen years ago I sure wish I would of bought. They where old calvary brands and if I remember right they wanted $5,000 for the two of them. They would probably be worth a fortune now. I think they looked something like this.

U & U S
S

i remember when i bought my very first cows dad told me i needed to get my own brand so i applied. i never looked up any MT recorded brands just applied for what i had in my head. i think the form had three choices. my first choice was the spade brand.... Ace of Spades ya know. anyhow all three of my choices were recorded so i ended up with the one i have now. got married in 1998 about 20 years after i applied for the spade brand and wouldn't you know it my father in law had the brand. anyhow he lost it when his old man's second wife robbed him of almost everything he had while he was on his death bed.... ben trying to buy that brand from the folks to stole it but they found out the history behind it and they don't want to sell it.... or i should say the junkie boy that inherited it thinks its cool and won't sell it.

We have 2 of the 2 iron brands we are trying to sell one and are keeping the other. The one for sale is a heart over an arrow RRC and the one we have for our own is a diamond over a plus sign L SH C & H I applied for it on the hip, but i am sure one of the brand board guys got that one when they saw there wasn't another like it :mad: Of course the one is a SD brand and we are asking $2500....seems to be cheaper than some are going for around here.....

not montana brands but my brand lazy m j bar . a few times branding a friend mixed up and put 3j bar to many pilsners. my friend was aplying for a brand last year was busy all spring got mad told his wife to pick one she did it is the fu bar .we all were shocked i dont know what the 4h juges will think when they see that. :roll:

Latest posts