• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Montana Governor orders Inspection of Canadian Beef

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

July 21, 2005

Last modified July 21, 2005 - 3:29 pm

Governor orders inspection of Canadian beef
By BOB ANEZ
Associated Press

HELENA -- With Canadian cattle beginning to be trucked across the U.S. border again, Gov. Brian Schweitzer on Thursday ordered that all animals destined for Montana must be checked to ensure they comply with new federal restrictions.

Veterinarians, acting on behalf of the state Livestock Department, will inspect cattle to determine if they are younger than 30 months, not pregnant and have the mandated "CAN" brand, Schweitzer said. Owners of the cattle will be required to pay the cost of the inspections, which the governor estimated would be $3-$5 a head.

Schweitzer, a rancher himself, cited lingering concerns about the potential for spread of mad cow disease from Canadian cattle.

"I am committed to the ranchers and consumers in this state," he said. "We will take every precaution available to us to protect Montanans and the Montana cattle industry."

He said he will urge governors in Colorado, Idaho, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington and Wyoming to take similar action.

agman said:
Mike said:
Bet the USDA will put a stop to this.

I expect his action is in violation of commerce laws.

States have their own rules and regs for livestock diseases and the inspection of the same. Might trump the Feds trade and commerce laws.

:???:

I think the key word here is destined.....

Actually I see this as more blow by the Gov than anything else--Their will be few cattle destined for Montana as we have no slaughter houses and few feedlots- none of which are big (most being under 10,000 head)...

On top of that State Law already requires all cattle entering the state be brand inspected, have health inspectons and those entering from some states have further restrictions......

agman said:
Mike said:

I kind of think that this is what the Gov is looking for-- another confrontation with the US administration...Another appearance on CNN...He's already been on CNN 3 or 4 times-- over his battles with big government and the corporate world-- On NAFTA, Canadian cattle, the ban on cheap imported prescription drugs- and how the administration is taking the side of Big Business over the little old lady on social security, and his latest is trying to bring home the Montana National Guardsmen if we have another bad fire year- making the federal agencies beef up their firefighting abilities.....

I saw another article today where he is now being touted as a possible Democrat Presidential candidate-- so he will welcome a slam by the Big administration.......and another TV appearance :)

Oldtimer said:
agman said:
Mike said:

I kind of think that this is what the Gov is looking for-- another confrontation with the US administration...Another appearance on CNN...He's already been on CNN 3 or 4 times-- over his battles with big government and the corporate world-- On NAFTA, Canadian cattle, the ban on cheap imported prescription drugs- and how the administration is taking the side of Big Business over the little old lady on social security, and his latest is trying to bring home the Montana National Guardsmen if we have another bad fire year- making the federal agencies beef up their firefighting abilities.....

I saw another article today where he is now being touted as a possible Democrat Presidential candidate-- so he will welcome a slam by the Big administration.......and another TV appearance :)

Schweitzer rejects rumors of White House bid
Associated Press

HELENA - Gov. Brian Schweitzer sits in his Capitol office, scanning a recent Roll Call article in which pundits float his name as a possible presidential contender. They say the "rancher-politician from Big Sky Country" might be the Democrats' "best shot to take back the White House."

Schweitzer tosses the article aside.

"These people are kooky," he says.

Schweitzer, in office barely 200 days, has drawn unusual attention for the new chief executive of a state usually on the sidelines when it comes to national politics.

His victory as a Democrat in a historically Republican stronghold helped bring him to the attention of Democratic Party leaders. Smarting from their losses in 2004, the Democrats have been looking to successful candidates in typically "red" states, hoping to find a winning strategy.

"He is no-nonsense. He understands fiscal concerns," said Howard Dean, Democratic National Committee chairman. "He has a winning formula for Democrats. He is an example of how you win elections in the West."

Schweitzer had certain built-in advantages in 2004: He ran as a centrist against a weaker Republican candidate, and he followed a very unpopular outgoing GOP governor. But political observers also see a lot of charisma.

The 49-year-old governor speaks bluntly, ridicules special-interest influence, and likes blue jeans and bolo ties. His border collie, Jag, is often at his heels in the governor's office.

He recently compared President Bush's pitch for changing Social Security to a livestock auction selling bum beef, and he said this of the way the nation's capital works: "If I stay in Washington for more than 72 hours, I have to bathe myself in the same stuff I use when my dog gets into a fight with a skunk."

Roll Call, the Capitol Hill newspaper, recently referred to Schweitzer as a "blunt-speaking, gun-toting, scotch-swilling governor" - the last a reference to news photos of him downing a shot at the reopening of a landmark bar in Butte.

Schweitzer has vowed to veto tax increases, favors abortion rights and opposes gay marriage and gun control. He has been a leader in promoting lower prescription drug prices and supports ethanol production. He chose a Republican as his lieutenant governor.

Craig Wilson, who heads the political science department at Montana State University-Billings and has watched Montana politics for 40 years, said the novice governor is not a serious national contender.

"He has an uncanny ability to attract media publicity through his statements," he said. "But I don't see that he's seeking higher office now. He's a small-state governor from the West. I don't know where he would get money for a campaign with his strong criticism of special interests."

Schweitzer said he has done nothing to promote himself for any higher office and, at least for now, is not seeking one.

"I'm not that smart, and I ain't pretty. So I don't know what they're talking about," Schweitzer told The Associated Press.

Others suspect he is, in fact, seeking the limelight.

"You don't get on CNN three times just by being a Democratic governor in a Western state," said Karl Ohs, chairman of the Montana Republican Party and former lieutenant governor. "There has to be someone, somewhere opening those doors."

But Schweitzer is quick with his own explanation for the attention he is getting: "Maybe it's because I'm kind of a straight-talker and tend to say it the way it is. A lot of politicians are scared of their own shadows, so they parse their words."

GOP leader Ohs acknowledged Schweitzer's way with words is bound to draw some attention outside Montana, but he said that probably won't last.

"When you have a governor who's a loose cannon, who speaks his mind, it's entertaining for a while," Ohs said. "But it eventually wears off."

If the following rumor about Gov. Schweitzer is true, his actions are hardly surprising.

It seems that the Governor was standing around watching while said cattle were being inspected. He was getting really annoyed by a stupid, persistent fly that kept buzzing around his head. After swatting at it one too many times, he asked, "what kind of fly is that, anyway?"

The poor, harried, Canadian trucker offered helpfully, "looks like one of them circle flies".

Gov. sez, "and what's a circle fly"?

Cdn. trucker sez, "it's one of them flies that circles around a horses @ss".

The guvner sez," ARE YOU CALLING ME A HORSE'S @SS"?

THe Cdn. trucker sez, "no, but you can't fool them circle flies".

This guy is from Montana, right? Couldn't be that he has listened to RCALF rhetoric long enough to know who the voters are and will stand up for their rights?

I find it funny that OT is against this guy! Switching sides now OT?

I would imagine that Sweitzer is an r-cult member, so that's one strike against his credibility, and he's just another dumb-ass in a polititian's suit, looking for votes. The polititians in Montana and ND are known for their stupid statements and stances on Canada. They know how to work the voters, but never really do anything.

Remember that then SD Janklow prohibited trucks hauling Canadian hogs thru South Dakota about 8 years ago. They ended up goig thru Minnesota to get south. Maybe Schweitzer isn't that far off track. I would hate to go down in history as the state leader who participated with the USDA in the contamination of the US food supply.

Murgen said:
This guy is from Montana, right? Couldn't be that he has listened to RCALF rhetoric long enough to know who the voters are and will stand up for their rights?

I find it funny that OT is against this guy! Switching sides now OT?

I haven't really taken a stand on Schweitzer yet-- he hasn't been in there long enough to figure out- during the legislature I both cussed him and praised him....But it is kind of refreshing to have a politician that doesn't have to call up D.C. or dig out the national party platform to figure out what his policy for the state is... We've had too many state politicians over the years that followed the national drumbeat- which many times doesn't benefit our state......

mlsfarms: "I would hate to go down in history as the state leader who participated with the USDA in the contamination of the US food supply."

I would hate to go down in history as the state leader that jeoprodized the integrity of the U.S. beef supply by lying about the impacts of having BSE in your native herd just because I was too ignorate to understand the economic impact of Canadian imports and how R-CULT's lies could come back to haunt me.

~SH~

You appear to be ignorant on how to spell or pronounce ignorant. :lol:

I would hate to be the Secretary who jeoprdized the integrity of the USDA by selling out health policy for the economic benefit of a handful of mega-corps. But then, for me, some things aren't for sale. :p

Selling out health policy??

What an eggnoarantish statement!

If USDA had agreed with R-CULT, the integrity of the U.S. beef supply would be in the tank right now.

You R-CULTers don't have anything in your favor. Just keep spreading your lies and losing in court.

Now R-CULT is spreading lies about CAFTA. Like the "liberal" democrats they support, first it's BSE fear mongering lies and now it's CAFTA fear mongering lies.

What a pathetic bunch!

~SH~

If USDA had agreed with R-CULT, the integrity of the U.S. beef supply would be in the tank right now.

The integrity of US Beef AND the integrity of the USDA "IS" in the tank right now in many other places. Japan, the Phillipines and Taiwan for instance.

politics, politics, politics....who cares what this goofy thing says?? how many ports of entry are there in montana? i don't know of one, much less one that bullracks come thru, much less, considering the safeguards, ie hoops, that the northern part of this herd has to go thru to export cattle to the southern part, that ANYONE should worry about northern cattle's safety.

GET OVER IT. JEEEEEZZ

Actually Chuckie their are at least 2 ports that are used in Montana,Coutts, Alberta _Sweetgrass and Regway, Sask.- Raymond. I hope it is just for cattle destined for Montana and not thru Montana .

Latest posts