• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Montana Hereford Tour

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hereford76

Reaction score
Curious to know if anyone out there was on the Montana Hereford Tour Sept 25 - 26 and what they thought. It has been a long time since the Montana breeders have had a tour.

well, for starters we could not have planned it on a better couple of days - beautiful weather. There were enthusiasts from 20 states and two canadian provinces and everyone was excited for the opportunity to view some of the montana hereford operations.

The tour was headquartered out of great falls and on the first day went north to Anchor polled herefords, Finseth herefords commercial outfit at Fairfield, By-Sand herefords at Power, Westwind ranch at Valier, and finished at Holden Herefords at Valier. I exhibited cattle at Holden's place. The second day we went down to Cooper herefords at Willow Creek, then to Marvin Feddes and SOns at Manhatten, Churchill cattle co at Manhatten, and the finished up at Ehlke's at Townsend.

Lots of good cattle and lots of interest. I got the chance to meet a lot of nice people and exhibit my cattle right along side one of the most successful hereford herds in the world and received compliments from most everyone on the tour. Great day!

Would have loved to be on the tour, but it's a very busy time of the year for us. Seen the itinerary in Hereford America and thought that it looked to be a well planned event with lots of good cattle. Glad that it was a success!

Heel Fly - that was a bull we raised a long time ago born in 91. Sold 1/2 possession of him to a good commercial angus herd in central montana in our 1992 bull sale. 59A was his number, "Northern Lad 59A" - he was a heck of a bull and I got a nice jag of his daughters and grandaughters still around. Never did keep a son of him... wishin I would have.

HEEL FLY - Since you liked the looks of my avatar and opened the door - thought you would enjoy these pictures. These are the bulls I used this spring.

jt.jpg

here is the avatar bull

4N.jpg

8020 son - clean up on heifers

58K.jpg

XTC Sunshine lad 58K- clean up on some older cows

ACE-21M.png

AGA 20J Stanmore 21M - AI to heifers

ACE-114L.png

AGA 13G General 114L - I own US rights on this bull and used AI this spring

42555466_L.jpg

WB Bear Mark ET 35N - I own US rights on him too and used AI this spring

3003.jpg

3003 - home raised bull used on commercial cows

9806e.jpg

AD Extra 9806 - home raised bull used on older cows (link below shows his epd's
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=232B21&2=232F50&3=56&4=5858225924242325212A29212A&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5B595B5B2626232E22&9=5C5A52

505.jpg

AD 9806 Extra Lad 0505 - home raised bull used on older cows (not very good picture of him - way better bull in person)

Really like most of those bulls in particular WB Bear Mark ET 35N, XTC Sunshine lad 58K,AGA 13G General 114L

Good lookin bulls! I find it really hard to take good pictures of bulls for some reason :roll:

the picture of AD Extra 9806 was taken this spring at 8 years and 5 months of age and I still don't have a reason to get rid of him. Does anyone else keep bulls around that long?

There's not many bulls of other breeds that can last that long........if they're not culled for unsoundness or injury, older bulls often have to go for poor temperments. Hereford bulls have a definate advantage there!

Hereford76 said:
the picture of AD Extra 9806 was taken this spring at 8 years and 5 months of age and I still don't have a reason to get rid of him. Does anyone else keep bulls around that long?

I have one that will be 8 in the spring he has bred 75 cows by himself the last 2 years.I am getting him collected this fall and will use him as long as he last's.

We sold our 8 year old this summer as he started shooting blanks. Oldest bull we ever raised and owned. My uncle has a Gelbvieh that I helped him pick out in Manitoba as a kid. Bull is going on 11 years old this coming spring and still works a small herd of cows every year. We just bought a June bull calf for crossbreeding off of that bull and he is well over 500 lbs. We are hoping to cash in with my uncle's recent success with selling Gelbvieh x Red Angus yearling steers. The calf is 1/2 Gelbvieh x 3/8 Red Angus and a 16th of Simmental and Hereford each. He we be bred to straightbred, and perhaps a few purebred, Hereford cows next spring.

Latest posts