• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

month old calf bloat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

bullriderkm

Reaction score
I have a month old calf that i thought got stepped on a week ago. i thought her side was swollen in the rib area but now it has gotten worse now she is bloated up on both sides. i put a hose in her and released pressure today but the calf has stopped sucking the cow. i treated twice now with LA. When she jogs away after i deflate her it sounds like a bag full of water getting shook. is this kidney stones(water belly) or is it a bacterial thing in her stomach. i have seen the calf poop but not pee. if i release gas and it isnt eatting why would she be bloating right back up again. any suggestions on how to treat this

I had one just like that this spring. Got rid of the bloat once and then it came back. I took it to the vet and he did the same thing, put a tube in it and brought it down. We gave it some Resflor and it has never looked back. Never bloated again. You could hear it sloshing when it ran as well. Don't know what else to tell you other than maybe try some Resflor.

Might try 'Exceed'...1 cc sub-cue.

Will need a Vet prescrip as it's controlled substance, but it's worked on everything my current employer said to use it on; mostly bloats...cleans 'em right up.

Give it C & D antitoxin and an Albon bolus.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e077e0-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

http://www.allvetmed.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=albon

Only one place I've been routinely had young calves bloat. They blamed it on Clostridia spp. and treated with penicillin, vitamin B5 (helps with GI motility), and fluids. Calves had been given C/D antitoxin at birth and no one really had an answer for what Clostridia would be responsible, only that the calves likely didn't have "purplegut."

You might try that route. Also, enlargement of specific lymph nodes within the thoracic cavity can compress the vagus nerve, which is responsible for innervating the GI system. If the calf also has pneumonia or another infection it could cause chronic bloating. I've also heard chronic bloating blamed on liver damage, but that may be more common in older animals. I don't like treating with antibiotics when there isn't a known reason to do so, but in this case it may be warranted.

Edited- if this has been going on for a week and the calf is still alive, it isn't a ruptured bladder.

could be a hairball, twine, twisted gut?

i think rumen is on right side up to about 6 weeks.

does that side blow up first?

you can let the air out rickky tick with short 16 guage needle.

i dunno---a cow looks rough for no reason, i stick a magnet down her, deal like this, a dose of mineral oil.

Latest posts