• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Moon Shine Stories

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TXTibbs

Reaction score
South Central Texas, former South Dakotan
Anyone got any good moon shine stories? I just saw a thing about moon shining on CMT (yes i watched TV....really i had it on for the music videos, but they quit and this moon shine story came on...and it caught my eye.) Anyway, it was in like Tennessee and Kentucky....had some old guy on there named Popcorn ?...can't remember the last name, but he was like the best of the best i guess in that area.....all crippled up and old so don't do it much anymore. I know up home they made their own liquor at times, but don't think they really sold it i dunno. Way before my time and don't hear to many stories about it except everyone knew who made the good stuff. Anyway, just curious.

Don't want to be telling tales out of school but....

I remember growning up hearing tales of my Granddad making some of the best in our county. But the old man didn't drink much himself.That was made for selling I guess. But he must have known what he was doing.

One time as a young lad at home we had some corn wine that didn't turn out too good and instead of throwing it out Dad thought we ought to cook it down and see what happened.

Out of a gallon of this wine we got about a cup and ahalf of real pretty clear stuff. A tablespoon would burn twice as long as the same amount of 80 proof.

One day Granddad was over and my Dad said" here, lets have a toddy." The old man took a swallow from the jar and didn't even blink his eyes. He said" Well, you only ran that throught once didn't you"

The fall and winter of l946-47 I worked for a very successful rancher for the keep of 50 cows. Fred was a great story teller. After we finished the noon meal he'd invite me into the parlor and tell his early experiences as a cowboy and his experiences over in France during World War I. I would listen until my conscience suggested I had better get up and go to work.

Sometime during the days of prohibion Fred, his half brother, Sam and one of their buddies, Spurge, decided to go visit another buddy who lived in a shack on his homestead. They took Fred's Model T touring car through the hills and got stuck in a swamp just before they got there. They walked up to the cabin. Their friend wasn't home. Somehow they stumbled on to a keg of moonshine.

It began to get late. Their friend hadn't gotten home. They decided they had better try to figure how to get the car out of the swamp and head back. They found a big draft stud in the barn. Between the three they managed to get a harness on the stud and led him out to the swamp. They hooked him on the front end of the car. Spurge was designated to lead the horse. Fred got in the car and Sam stood by to signal the orders.
Sam gave the orders for Fred to put the car in gear and for Spurge to lead the horse ahead. The stud pulled sideways and got out of control. Spurge lost his footing and fell down. The stud jerked the rope out of his hands and made a circle around the car and tipped it over.

It has been nearly 60 years since Fred told me the story. I can't remember what course of action they then took. I think they went back to the cabin for more refreshments.

BobM

Bob M said:
The fall and winter of l946-47 I worked for a very successful rancher for the keep of 50 cows. Fred was a great story teller. After we finished the noon meal he'd invite me into the parlor and tell his early experiences as a cowboy and his experiences over in France during World War I. I would listen until my conscience suggested I had better get up and go to work.

Sometime during the days of prohibion Fred, his half brother, Sam and one of their buddies, Spurge, decided to go visit another buddy who lived in a shack on his homestead. They took Fred's Model T touring car through the hills and got stuck in a swamp just before they got there. They walked up to the cabin. Their friend wasn't home. Somehow they stumbled on to a keg of moonshine.

It began to get late. Their friend hadn't gotten home. They decided they had better try to figure how to get the car out of the swamp and head back. They found a big draft stud in the barn. Between the three they managed to get a harness on the stud and led him out to the swamp. They hooked him on the front end of the car. Spurge was designated to lead the horse. Fred got in the car and Sam stood by to signal the orders.
Sam gave the orders for Fred to put the car in gear and for Spurge to lead the horse ahead. The stud pulled sideways and got out of control. Spurge lost his footing and fell down. The stud jerked the rope out of his hands and made a circle around the car and tipped it over.

It has been nearly 60 years since Fred told me the story. I can't remember what course of action they then took. I think they went back to the cabin for more refreshments.

BobM

BobM if you keep posting good stories like that you'll move yourself up to two whole stars soon!

That moonshine is strong stuff. The type made from corn is just bad but the stuff made from apples or peaches has a wonderful after taste. It looks just like corn liquor and will kick your (not nice) but sure taste better. Apple cost a little more too but it sure is worth it. The last I bought was $40 a quart and clear as spring water
I try to keep a quart in the fridge in the basement. Nothing like a big swig of applejack to warm up that belly on a winter day.

The Sheridan County Journal came today. It is published at Gordon, NE just south of the south edge of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. I thought it a coincidence that this story came out in the 100 Year Ago column:

A man who was holding revivals in Indian Territory has been found to be a prosperous "bootlegger". It was noticed that after conducting a successful rivival in one place some of his hearers were so moved spiriually that they followed the preacher to the next meeting place. Some of these ardent converts frequently fell from grace under the spell of drink, but they never failed to be on hand at the next service. The revival did quite a business in selling celluloid covered bibles. There was never so much demand for the scriptures, and the purchasers did not fail to search them. It was only when a revenue officer saw a convert put his bible up to his lips that he began an investigation. Then he found that each pretended bible held a pint of spirit that moves to drunkedness. The rivalist is in jail and the "bibles" have been confiscated.

BobM

Latest posts