• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Moonshine--something new

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
A neighbor we have never met gave Mr FH a bottle of Apple Pie Moonshine.
This neighbor was stuck and Mr FH plowed him out; actually 2 of his cars were stuck.

The brew was in a 4 Roses bottle with a cork. It wasn't sealed but the bottle was full.
The label was written by hand "Apple Pie Moonshine."
After looking up Apple Pie Moonshine, there are recipes for making it.
I betcha this was some they made and gave us a bottle.
Mr. FH is smacking his lips as he is tasting it right now. 😊
Has anyone heard of Apple Pie Moonshine?

There was a show about modern moonshiners on TV a while back. I guess they really know how to make it well and it can bring high dollars. Apple pie sounds like a fine flavor. Tell Mr FH to not have TOO merry of a Christmas! 😁😁😁

From time to time, we find old still sights from the days of prohibition. Barrel parts and copper tubing where a still was. They were hid out all over the desert making liquor.

The thing about apple pie moonshine is most of it isn't really moonshine since it is made legally using various forms of high-proof alcohol with added-in ingredients. To be real moonshine it must be made illegally.

The one of oldest records of apple pie moonshine goes back to Scotland where a home-distilled liquor had apples and a pastry crust (thus the apple pie) but no sugar added to it. Some of those bootlegger Scots migrated to Arkansas. Since apples were abundant in Arkansas much of what was called Apple Pie Moonshine was just illegal high-alcohol apple brandy.

One of my old maid great aunts made homemade apple brandy (illegally). She made her pie filling from just apples with some honey and apple brandy moonshine. No other spices. Cook that down to the right consistency and then add to the crust, cover with crust and bake.

Last edited:
Now days they call it Moonshine if it's not aged in barrels.
Legal or illegal
Yes, it is part of the new "woke" world where words and terms are changed from their original meaning. It was called moonshine because it was made by moonlight to avoid detection by law enforcement. It was also called Mountain Dew back in the days of prohibition, but now Mountain Dew is a soft drink.

"They call it that good ol mountain dew lawd lawd and those that refuse it are few, I will hush up my mug if you bring me a jug of that good ol mountain dew." The Stanley Brothers

To me, if it isn't home-distilled, it isn't moonshine whether legal or illegal. We can home distill for our own use here in Oregon if we get a permit.

The only hard liquor I have around is unflavored brandy either Christian bros. or E&J. and I use one teaspoon to gargle before bed as a virus preventive. The other is Everclear which I use for hand sanitizing and shellac finish antique furniture refinishing.

When I worked underground, the old miners always had a bottle of brandy they pasted around after shift so everyone could gargle to prevent phenomena after we got our wet diggers off in the dry shack. Even our weekend community church minister took a sip to gargle. "I can't preach the word if I lose my voice."

Last edited:
Kemmerer Moonshine
"
Kemmerer was also home to a wide variety of stills for moonshine.

"Kemmerer was the Moonshine capitol," adds Truman. "Kemmerer moonshine made it all the way to Chicago and New York. This was tough country."

Of the moonshiners, Joe Coletti was a kingpin, and Julian mentions that he was a distributer.

"At one point, they found 3,000 barrels of moonshine in the back of a building, and they broke all their casks," Truman recalls of a story his mother told. "People say whiskey was running in the gutters, and there were people with cups and pans scooping it up."

He adds that in every grove of aspens where there was a spring, it was almost certain that you could find a little moonshine. "
https://www.wylr.net/2012/10/31/rich-histories-colorful-history-covers-lincoln-county/

Latest posts