• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Moonshine

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
This is so very sad. From another forum:

http://forums.barrelhorseworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=422157&posts=3

Question: "Does anyone know what happened to Dru Melvin's pretty palomino steer wrestling horse, Moonshine? I saw that he passed away yesterday, but haven't heard what happened. So sad."

Answer, posted by "Extreme Veteran":

"I saw it happen, it was a freak deal. The steer cut in front of Todd Suhn, who was on him at the time, I believe Dru was hazing. the horse tripped on the steer and flipped over the top of him, throwing Todd clear. He then got up and ran to the end like he is supposed to. From the stands I couldn't see anything wrong with him, but Dru came running down the arena yelling at guys to catch him. They took him immediately out the gate they run the stock out of. Heard later than when he went over the top of the steer, a horn went up under his front leg and pierced his heart, and he collapsed and died right after he was taken out the gate. Such a sad deal for all involved. Many prayers to them, as it is hard enough to lose one, let alone a freak deal like that."

http://www.prorodeo.com/Story.aspx?xu=4801

Great steer wrestling horse Moonshine dies of injuries

Jan.27, 2013

Riding Dru Melvin's great steer wrestling horse Moonshine, Casey Martin won the first round of the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo with this 4.0-second run and went on to finish second in the NFR average and in the world standings last December. Moonshine died of injuries sustained in the arena on Jan. 26 during the National Western Stock Show Rodeo in Denver.

DENVER – Dru Melvin's great steer wrestling horse Diamond MS Moon, "Moonshine," died Jan. 26 as the result of injuries suffered during competition at the National Western Stock Show Rodeo in the Denver Coliseum.

After a clean start out of the gate, the steer veered in front of Moonshine, causing a horrific collision which took horse, steer and bulldogger Todd Suhn crashing to the arena dirt. A horn went through Moonshine's side and punctured his heart.

The horse was able to leave the arena on his own power, but died shortly thereafter. Suhn and the steer were unharmed.

"Moonshine was without a doubt the best steer wrestling horse I have ever had," Melvin said. "He was the kind of horse that you just dream about; honest and he just loved his job."

It was a view widely shared by bulldoggers at the top level of the sport. Casey Martin and Suhn rode Moonshine at last December's Wrangler National Finals Rodeo and here in Denver. Martin entered the final round Jan. 27 leading the two-head average after making two runs on Moonshine in 7.8 seconds and held on for the victory.

The eight-year-old horse had helped PRCA cowboys to nearly $300,000 in earnings in just three years.

"I've ridden a lot of horses in my career," said Suhn, a 16-time Wrangler NFR qualifier, "and most of them I've trained myself. Moonshine was definitely one of the best. I've run thousands of steers and never seen anything like this happen in my life. My heart goes out to Dru and Brittany (Melvin). I know how much Moonshine meant to them."

Moonshine is being transported back to the Melvins' family ranch in Hebron, Neb., where he will be buried. He was the first horse the couple owned together and was included in their engagement photos because he was considered so much a part of the family.

I was there and watched it happen.
The blood was pouring out pretty bad.......I never heard what happened to him (till now)but I would have bet money that it was his last run.

Latest posts