• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More April 2014 photographs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Sundaymorningcomingdown600x800_zpsaa82e2fb.jpg

Sunday morning coming down
Wherethereislifethereishope800x600_zps878567cb.jpg

But where there is life, there is hope.
TheEMTshavearrived800x600_zps4ccd33da.jpg

The EMTs have arrived. Guess you could call them a pair o' medics.
Shelooksbetterthanshedid800x600_zps29074797.jpg

She looks better than she did.
Switchingpastures800x600_zps95d4cb31.jpg

Switching pastures
Jumpingforthebrand800x600_zpsd0c23acc.jpg

Jumping for the brand
Babiesattheback800x600_zps4a3c7bbf.jpg

Babies at the back
Sidewaysolive800x600_zps4cb21084.jpg

Hope that finding a sideways olive is like finding a four-leaf clover.
Easterdinner800x600_zps08662b66.jpg

Easter dinner
Busytable800x600_zps2af5e8d9.jpg

Busy table
Tryingadifferentcalftable800x600_zps85332c95.jpg

Trying a different calf table
Thebackisready800x600_zps26fcfd51.jpg

Ready at the back
Sparkyassistedthisday800x600_zps23039cef.jpg

Sparky assisted this day.
Calvesinthewaitingroom800x600_zps52889079.jpg

Calves in the waiting room
Tallykeeper800x600_zps0c487a67.jpg

Tally keeper
Vaccinatorfortheday800x600_zps0e03c838.jpg

Vaccinator for the day
SparkyhelpedussoPeachcouldbabysithisthreekids800x600_zpsa1038e8d.jpg

Sparky helped us so Peach could babysit, so Sparky's bride could work at her job as pharmacist at the hospital.
Prairieoystersgrowlikevines800x600_zps65857de0.jpg

An oyster vine that grows on the prairie
Theoldguytryingtoearnhiskeep800x600_zps7f6d0e1f.jpg

The old guy is trying to earn his keep
Runningabrandingiron800x600_zps62e33a22.jpg

By running a branding iron

That is the same as our table and I love it. Mostly the table here is due to an extreme shortage of help and the knowledge that there are days when 1 person has to go it alone.

We just placed our seed order to Guerneys but I never saw an oyster vine, where did you get it? :shock: :lol: Great pictures as always.

Big Swede said:
We just placed our seed order to Guerneys but I never saw an oyster vine, where did you get it? :shock: :lol: Great pictures as always.

This oyster vine commonly grows on the prairie or in the mountains. It is not to be confused with the oyster vine the sprouts from the sea.

Wow. I thought the cow & calf were gonners. Soap, I had a For-Most calf cradle. Always watch the open side so a calf doesn't have a leg out when you open the front. A spiral break is the result.

Soapweed said:
Big Swede said:

This oyster vine commonly grows on the prairie or in the mountains. It is not to be confused with the oyster vine the sprouts from the sea.

Your oyster vine would have a lot of rocky mountain chefs crying big tears.... :cry:

Soapweed said:
Big Swede said:

Would the differences be called praline and saline?

I just about always learn something from you! I like the idea of the red panel---keeps next calf headed right way and sis from getting kicked.

We like stuff safe and easy, I'm kinda revamping a few things and want to make calf table a 2 person deal. Been head scratching over how to get the guy who pushes calf up an easy way to get out to tip table over for his wife.

It looks to me like there can be an open gap 'man gate' that red panel blocks calf from exiting outa.

On the brands, neat bender---ours is 2 character, I like to have the handles different from each other. I like to start and end with short rod, but put a pipe in the middle that rod will slip into. Drill a buncha holes into it, it'll surprise you how much cooler operator end stays. I like tapered bearing races to make brand itself outa.

littlejoe said:
I just about always learn something from you! I like the idea of the red panel---keeps next calf headed right way and sis from getting kicked.

We like stuff safe and easy, I'm kinda revamping a few things and want to make calf table a 2 person deal. Been head scratching over how to get the guy who pushes calf up an easy way to get out to tip table over for his wife.

It looks to me like there can be an open gap 'man gate' that red panel blocks calf from exiting outa.

On the brands, neat bender---ours is 2 character, I like to have the handles different from each other. I like to start and end with short rod, but put a pipe in the middle that rod will slip into. Drill a buncha holes into it, it'll surprise you how much cooler operator end stays. I like tapered bearing races to make brand itself outa.

I don't know much about calf tables, but I do know that you don't need to
tip all of them over, especially if the calf has been banded at birth. We have
neighbors that don't tip the table over. Works fine.

Faster horses said:
littlejoe said:

With the design of the table I use every calf is tipped but then I do everything from the top side or head. No walking around the table and two of us do all the calves. 1 pushes and one processes.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Faster horses said:
littlejoe said:

With the design of the table I use every calf is tipped but then I do everything from the top side or head. No walking around the table and two of us do all the calves. 1 pushes and one processes.

I got a thorsen and you gotta tip it. We built a 'bud box' and have been putting in man gates any place I've ever crawled over a fence. On cow working alley, they open in. I'm too fat to have one open in on a calf alley. With just me and my wife, I want to be the one to push calves in and also tip the table. When I saw Soap's red panel, a light bulb kinda quit being quite so dim as to how to make it handy to do both.

littlejoe said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Faster horses said:

I got a thorsen and you gotta tip it. We built a 'bud box' and have been putting in man gates any place I've ever crawled over a fence. On cow working alley, they open in. I'm too fat to have one open in on a calf alley. With just me and my wife, I want to be the one to push calves in and also tip the table. When I saw Soap's red panel, a light bulb kinda quit being quite so dim as to how to make it handy to do both.

My sister is the one pushing the calves into the runway and onto the table. She is the one who came up with the wing idea, and it really works well. After putting in the wing, the whole operation goes faster and with less effort.

Must be some whiteface in the background of that black cow, as I have been told that they are the only ones that prolapse. :wink:

A set of back catchers knee pads that go down over the top of your foot make it a lot easier to recruit pushers.
Keep yer head up!

One old timer here borrowed a calf table from a neighbor to try one out. He set it in the middle of the corral and had the crew catch the calves and push them into it.

He said he would never own one as it was the hardest work he'd ever done branding his calves. :roll:

This did happen over 40 years ago. The area has progressed some in thought process since. :lol:

Looking good there Soap. It's the will that makes the way. :wink:

Aaron said:
Must be some whiteface in the background of that black cow, as I have been told that they are the only ones that prolapse. :wink:

All of Soap's cows have whiteface in their background. :wink: He's been doing his darnedest to breed it out of them though. Just kidding Aaron.

Latest posts