• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More Border Screwups

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

BEEF NEWS
Canadian shipment included eight pregnant cows

by Pete Hisey on 8/24/2005 for Meatingplace.com

According to Canadian press reports, the shipment of cattle that included one animal over 30 months of age also included eight pregnant animals. The Calgary Herald reported on Tuesday that Francine Lord, national manager of imports and exports, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, revealed that the cattle came from a southern Ontario farm, and noted that while the export of pregnant cows is not allowed under USDA's Minimal Risk Rule, there is no danger to the human food supply.

A spokeswoman for Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America, however, wondered aloud where the fetal blood from the unborn calves went. That substance is banned from import.

Jim Rogers, a spokesman for USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, told Meatingplace.com that the slaughter plant discovered the pregnant cattle, destroyed the fetuses, and alerted USDA, which then warned Canada that breeding cattle are specifically barred from entering the country. Canadian authorities conducted an audit of the shipment, and discovered the overage animal in the process.

Now we know they were owned by an american. Why would a Canadian rancher try to sneak pregnant heifers into the US?

"Wouldn't be any screwups with www.ScoringAg.com Records!!!!!!!!!!!!"

GIVE ME A BREAK! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Porker , you will ride a dead horse till HELL FREEZES OVER!
It must get really cold i MI.....your brain is frozen! :lol: :lol:

And Johanss was pissed because Gov. Schweitzer wanted State Vets and Inspectors to verify the work of CFIA and USDA :wink: :lol: :lol: I'll bet there is a lot of chuckling going on in Helena now as the USDA "stooges" continue to bumble along.....

Too bad USDA didn't listen to the advice of ALL the major Ag organizations and require all heifers be spayed....

I doubt if anyone tried to 'sneak' anything across the border that was pregnant. More likely the vet missed them on a preg check. It can happen to the best preg checker. Anyone who says they are 100% accurate is talking through their hat. It's an art not a science.

Vets here have been told that if a pregnant animal gets by they will automatically lose their accreditation to inspect cattle for export. Apparently that has already happened to this particular vet.

It's getting hard to even find a vet that is willing to inspect heifers any more. I know that locally there has not even been one heifer sent, because it's not worth it. It's being taken very seriously here. I wonder if we should start dissecting the uteruses of American slaughter cattle to see if anything is in there?

As for the spaying, sure go ahead, not a problem... for feeders. As for spaying a heifer that's going to be slaughtered in two days, that's just plain dumb. What are they going to do, take the fetus, put it on some kind of magical life support and grow a calf? Come on, get real. :dunce:

Are they supposed to pregcheck every heifer that crosses the border? Not trying to sound stupid, but I'd really like to know. There's no age given in the article on these "cows", how old were they? Have any of you ever had young heifers calve that weren't supposed to just because you didn't get the bull pulled soon enough? We have. These critters could've been already bred when they were weaned in the fall. Not too many people pregcheck their calves when they ship them to the stockyards. It's an understandable mistake sending them to the states.

My vet was saying he'd heard these pregnant cows were like 30 days along and were discovered after the repro tracts were excised. Keep flogging this redundant B'S till everybody is afraid to eat beef. Can anybody honestly believe that Canadian beef is a health threat. By the way I have a package of spayed yearling heifers wonder if they'll bring a premium.

Heard on the radio that the vet that signed off on those heifers lost his acreditation. They are taking this seriously. Sounds like CFIA is taking the high road.

Northern Rancher said:
Can anybody honestly believe that Canadian beef is a health threat.

In reading the Japanese newspapers they have definitely taken notice- questioning how good CFIA's and USDA's aging ability is, and questioning how 1/4 of the cattle in a load can be pregnant and they can't detect it :???: Seems USDA's past actions are giving them little reassurance :wink:

Japans Safety Commission is even now comparing the US to the UK for vulnerability for spread of BSE- since the US does not ban table scraps, chicken litter, and blood products.....

Well looks like R-Calf is a self fulfilling prophecy-if we squeel loud enough that U.S. and Canadian beef is unsafe pretty soon everybody will believe us. Good luck trying to find a vet to risk his livliehood to test cattle for export-god this total B.S. is getting soo old. If the heifer is going to the kill floor who gives a rats ass id she's pregnant or not. I'd be asking to see the repro tracts in question just to make sure the U.S. vet didn't screw up. Lets all work together to piss away the North American cattle business.

Why spay the hiefers? I believe this whole BSE thing is no more than a bunch of BS! If the US has it in their herd and we have it here we need to work together to show the public and the rest of the world that its under control and that our cattle and beef are safe!! Not drive them away from eating beef!

Like I wrote in another post. She just joins the rest of the US 31 month and over killed on UTM lines along breds that entrered the US system. This just happened to be of Canadian origin.

So a few bred females got across the border??????????? B F D! I cannot believe we are worried about this BS......Sounds like the NCAA and their mascot Bull Sh_T and this Canadian border thing are working together!!
We have a lot bigger things to worry about that a few breds (SHORT BREDS) coming down????????????????? The rest of the world is having a great laugh when watching and reading about our Border situation, not to mention ,how we have all these farm /ranch organizations that are suppose to be working for the same CAUSE....fighting like hell! :roll:
We wonder why we have a hard time attracting talented/educated young individuals into Agriculture in this country?????? :roll: Who would want to get in this deal???????

I've just spent the better part of my afternoon trying t o find some articles to back up oltimers statements here and on another board
-In reading the Japanese newspapers they have definitely taken notice- questioning how good CFIA's and USDA's aging ability is, and questioning how 1/4 of the cattle in a load can be pregnant and they can't detect it -

-the Japanese papers are having a hayday questioning how the vets of two countries could not only misage one cow, but miss 8 bred ones in a load of 35...They wonder how many of the other 40,000 cows shipped since the border opened were also over age - this quote from the other board.

I'm heding to a meeting tomorrow afternoon and wanted the articles to present for discusion. I can't find anything to support oldtimers comments. does anyone have a source for this? Something official I cna print off?

also oldtimers says
- If we keep bringing in old and bred cows and beef from a higher risk country, we will definitely increase the chance of spread..-

Has there been a number of these imported? By old and bred I understand him to mean old bred culls exceeding the 30 mth age by a good deal.The media reports I have come accross all report that 8 were in calf, all of which were under 30 mths. The canadian agency then found the 31 mth old while investigating the shipment of which the 8 were part of. oldtimer are your comments a seperate issue from above if so could you supply me with the data to take to the meeting.

The agricultural folks in my area are not as critical of the USDA as what is reflected on this board. Perhaps we need to take a firmer stand to support oltimers claim that before its over theUSDA will have allowed Canada to spread BSE thru the country. We give credit to the UsDAs measures to control the spread of our own BSE within the US herd why would the canadan cattle and beef pose a problem.At this time R-CALF has not been successful in garnering much support in our area.

Oltimer if you could get those media releases to me by eleven tomorrow morning I would appreciate it. I have to leave home by then for the meeting.

oldfart said:
I've just spent the better part of my afternoon trying t o find some articles to back up oltimers statements here and on another board
-In reading the Japanese newspapers they have definitely taken notice- questioning how good CFIA's and USDA's aging ability is, and questioning how 1/4 of the cattle in a load can be pregnant and they can't detect it -

-the Japanese papers are having a hayday questioning how the vets of two countries could not only misage one cow, but miss 8 bred ones in a load of 35...They wonder how many of the other 40,000 cows shipped since the border opened were also over age - this quote from the other board.

I'm heding to a meeting tomorrow afternoon and wanted the articles to present for discusion. I can't find anything to support oldtimers comments. does anyone have a source for this? Something official I cna print off?

also oldtimers says
- If we keep bringing in old and bred cows and beef from a higher risk country, we will definitely increase the chance of spread..-

Has there been a number of these imported? By old and bred I understand him to mean old bred culls exceeding the 30 mth age by a good deal.The media reports I have come accross all report that 8 were in calf, all of which were under 30 mths. The canadian agency then found the 31 mth old while investigating the shipment of which the 8 were part of. oldtimer are your comments a seperate issue from above if so could you supply me with the data to take to the meeting.

The agricultural folks in my area are not as critical of the USDA as what is reflected on this board. Perhaps we need to take a firmer stand to support oltimers claim that before its over theUSDA will have allowed Canada to spread BSE thru the country. We give credit to the UsDAs measures to control the spread of our own BSE within the US herd why would the canadan cattle and beef pose a problem.At this time R-CALF has not been successful in garnering much support in our area.

Oltimer if you could get those media releases to me by eleven tomorrow morning I would appreciate it. I have to leave home by then for the meeting.

I can't find anything to support oldtimers comments. does anyone have a source for this? Something official I cna print off?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't worry Oldtimer can't find anything to support his comments either!

THERE ARE NOT POTLOADS OF OLD PREGNANT CANADIAN COWS MOVING INTO THE US. ohh and we don't live in igloos up here either :roll:

oldfart said:

also oldtimers says

oldfart- And what area of the US do you come from? Saskatoon? You talk with a Canadian accent-eh? Only a Canadian would take the statement old and bred cows and think it means old bred cows- eh....I'll bet your French too, since you want me to do the work over again rather than look for yourself- then if I show it to you won't believe it anyway :wink: :lol: :lol:

Only a Canadian would take the statement old and bred cows and think it means old bred cows
Actually only an R-Calfer would...eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oldtimer said:
oldfart said:

also oldtimers says

oldfart- And what area of the US do you come from? Saskatoon? You talk with a Canadian accent-eh? Only a Canadian would take the statement old and bred cows and think it means old bred cows- eh....I'll bet your French too, since you want me to do the work over again rather than look for yourself- then if I show it to you won't believe it anyway :wink: :lol: :lol:
Kinda got your tit in a wringer over at Cattle Today didn't you OT. Trying to pass your opinion of as that of the Japanese! :lol: :lol: :lol: Trying a little Saki tonight instead of that good Canadian whiskey?

Oldtimer said:
oldfart said:

also oldtimers says

So please Oldtimer tell us what does OLD and BRED mean in the US? :?

Latest posts