• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More Border Screwups

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bill I hadn't seen ol Frenchies moaning-- I gave him an answer... And yes it was my opinion or summary of the articles I saw-- interviews an Asian media reporter did with some of the Japanese Food Safety Commissioners- and they were definitely making the border foulups look like a Three Stooges movie.......

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
oldfart said:
I've just spent the better part of my afternoon trying t o find some articles to back up oltimers statements here and on another board

-In reading the Japanese newspapers they have definitely taken notice- questioning how good CFIA's and USDA's aging ability is, and questioning how 1/4 of the cattle in a load can be pregnant and they can't detect it -

-the Japanese papers are having a hayday questioning how the vets of two countries could not only misage one cow, but miss 8 bred ones in a load of 35...They wonder how many of the other 40,000 cows shipped since the border opened were also over age - this quote from the other board.

I'm heding to a meeting tomorrow afternoon and wanted the articles to present for discusion. I can't find anything to support oldtimers comments. does anyone have a source for this? Something official I cna print off?

also oldtimers says

Has there been a number of these imported? By old and bred I understand him to mean old bred culls exceeding the 30 mth age by a good deal.The media reports I have come accross all report that 8 were in calf, all of which were under 30 mths. The canadian agency then found the 31 mth old while investigating the shipment of which the 8 were part of. oldtimer are your comments a seperate issue from above if so could you supply me with the data to take to the meeting.

The agricultural folks in my area are not as critical of the USDA as what is reflected on this board. Perhaps we need to take a firmer stand to support oltimers claim that before its over theUSDA will have allowed Canada to spread BSE thru the country. We give credit to the UsDAs measures to control the spread of our own BSE within the US herd why would the canadan cattle and beef pose a problem.At this time R-CALF has not been successful in garnering much support in our area.

Oltimer if you could get those media releases to me by eleven tomorrow morning I would appreciate it. I have to leave home by then for the meeting.

oldfart- And what area of the US do you come from? Saskatoon? You talk with a Canadian accent-eh? Only a Canadian would take the statement old and bred cows and think it means old bred cows- eh....I'll bet your French too, since you want me to do the work over again rather than look for yourself- then if I show it to you won't believe it anyway :wink: :lol: :lol:

So please Oldtimer tell us what does OLD and BRED mean in the US? :?

"Tam I think that s what they call OT when he's at the table and is eating some bred from Canadian wheat" :wink:

Tam- Old means above a certain age-- in this case the young/old devider is 30 months

bred means they are pregnant- thought even Canadian women knew that :wink: - have old Big Muddy tell you about the Birds and the Bees :lol:

old bred means aged and pregnant

Oldtimer said:
Bill I hadn't seen ol Frenchies moaning-- I gave him an answer... And yes it was my opinion or summary of the articles I saw-- interviews an Asian media reporter did with some of the Japanese Food Safety Commissioners- and they were definitely making the border foulups look like a Three Stooges movie.......
Summary or ones opinion can be a huge difference especially coming from an R-Calfer :!: Not meaning to offend but many of us have looked upon this as a bad three stooges movie for some time. I can't recall if Venneman was Larry Moe or Curly but she did know when to retire. :lol: :lol: :lol:

-oldfart- And what area of the US do you come from? Saskatoon? You talk with a Canadian accent-eh? Only a Canadian would take the statement old and bred cows and think it means old bred cows- eh....I'll bet your French too, since you want me to do the work over again rather than look for yourself- then if I show it to you won't believe it anyway -

I believe I can understand your animosity towards anyone that asks for clarrifcation on a matter.

Ion the other hand would never put myself in a position to be rediculed if I took your statemetns and presented them to the floor at the meeting. I believe our members would expect at least a verifiable article of Japanese origin.
So I will ask again for media reports. Your comments should not be taken lightly and should be discussed at producer meetings but I need something more than hersay off a forum board.

I will ignore your candain, french and old bred cow comments. Nothing against the north folks just that that is precisley the reason I have not posted here before. It seems common practise for some to side-step when asked for clarrification or verification on a matter.
since you want me to do the work over again rather than look for yourself- then if I show it to you won't believe it anyway
thanks for your help. I'll keep looking becasue as it stands now your right I probably wouldn't believe it if you posted it anyway.

Bill said:
Oldtimer said:
Summary or ones opinion can be a huge difference especially coming from an R-Calfer :!: Not meaning to offend but many of us have looked upon this as a bad three stooges movie for some time. I can't recall if Venneman was Larry Moe or Curly but she did know when to retire. :lol: :lol: :lol:

She should have been run out of the country- not given a cushy government appointment job---She didn't know what she was doing ....Whole border issue would be done if USDA hadn't screwed up from day one- in my opinion....

Oldtimer said:
Bill said:
Oldtimer said:

She should have been run out of the country- not given a cushy government appointment job---She didn't know what she was doing ....Whole border issue would be done if USDA hadn't screwed up from day one- in my opinion....
If the CBC documentary crew could have shaken her security when they did their BSE coverup show last year she may well have fled the country. It looks like in the end their was a lot of truth behind that show.

Whole border issue would be done if USDA hadn't screwed up from day one- in my opinion
Does that mean it would open or closed? In your opinion of course.

Bill said:
Oldtimer said:
Bill said:

If the CBC documentary crew could have shaken her security when they did their BSE coverup show last year she may well have fled the country. It looks like in the end their was a lot of truth behind that show.

Whole border issue would be done if USDA hadn't screwed up from day one- in my opinion
Does that mean it would open or closed? In your opinion of course.

Nope open-- If USDA had done what they should have from day one-worked with the Congress and producers on putting the M-COOL law into effect- been open and transparent with the producers and public on the BSE issue- instead of trying to do things behind closed doors-- not got caught allowing the packers to smuggle in banned product-- and had stuck with their guns on the feed ban (outlawing downers, chicken litter, table scraps, and blood products) instead of letting Big Bucks influence their decisions---their would be no ammunition to keep it closed....But it seems like everyday they just add more to the ammo depot....

In my opinion- (in case you need to know) :wink:

Nope open-- If USDA had done what they should have from day one-worked with the Congress and producers on putting the M-COOL law into effect- been open and transparent with the producers and public on the BSE issue- instead of trying to do things behind closed doors-- not got caught allowing the packers to smuggle in banned product-- and had stuck with their guns on the feed ban (outlawing downers, chicken litter, table scraps, and blood products) instead of letting Big Bucks influence their decisions---their would be no ammunition to keep it closed....But it seems like everyday they just add more to the ammo depot....

Look OUT She's gonna Blow a Gasket Oldtimer

Oldtimer said:

:lol: NOW THIS IS FUNNY..OLDTIMER ARE YOU PARONIOD OR WHAT..

I have not posted on this thread before..ask Macon.

Oldtimer said:

Btw Heres the answer OT gave me at cattle-today...talking about the same issue.

Oldtimer said:
frenchie said:
Oldtimer said:
Gotcha OT...absolutely nowhere in these two articles are they saying as you said..

the Japanese papers are having a hayday questioning how the vets of two countries could not only misage one cow, but miss 8 bred ones in a load of 35...They wonder how many of the other 40,000 cows shipped since the border opened were also over age

This statement is directly from you ..not the Japanese..

This is what they do say....Kitamoto said U.S. cattle may be at risk because meat-and-bone meal (MBM) produced from cattle was still being used in the United States.

MBM produced from cattle, banned in Japan as a feed for all animals, is thought to cause mad cow disease

frenchie- yes the statement is from me- that is my summary of the other articles-- they were of statements of a question/answer session with some of the Japanese Food Safety Commission- which I haven't been able to find again.....

Enough Said :lol:

Leone`e

Oldtimer wrote:
Maybe this is the reason that NCBA, R-CALF, FB, and FU all called for USDA to require spayed heifers only..But USDA knew better ;-) Before its over USDA will have allowed Canada to spread BSE thru the country.......
Statements like this one Oldtimer makes it look as if all your problems stem from Canadian cattle. NO TRUE AGAIN OLDTIMER Tell us Oldtimer how can Canada spread BSE thur your country? Wouldn't it be your feed system spreading it through your country? AND now that the US has BSE couldn't that same US feed system be spreading US origin BSE thur your country? What does Canada have to do with your non compliant weak ruled feed system? If the USDA allows BSE to spread it will have very little to do with Canadian cattle. It will have to do with the untested or false negitive BSE positive cattle originating in the US and being fed back to cattle through your non compliant system. I agree those cattle should have never entered the US but to blame the risk of spreading BSE in the US on those few cattle is wrong when it is your system where the really risk lies.

frenchie said:
Oldtimer said:

Frenchie- I gave you my answer- both on here and on cattletoday- and oldfart is a wolf in sheeps clothing- speaks like a Canuck- and until he puts his website, name, and picture on this site like I have I'll call him what he is-- A Saskatchewan Canadian putting himself out to be an American to stir up sh*t - just like Nebrusker did and got removed.......Prove me wrong.....And I didn't call him a frechman because of you- just the historical french way of saying things that aren't true-Chiraque, Chretien, goes all the way back to old DeGaulle- communist leanings all the way.... .........

Tam said:
Oldtimer wrote:
Maybe this is the reason that NCBA, R-CALF, FB, and FU all called for USDA to require spayed heifers only..But USDA knew better ;-) Before its over USDA will have allowed Canada to spread BSE thru the country.......
Statements like this one Oldtimer makes it look as if all your problems stem from Canadian cattle. NO TRUE AGAIN OLDTIMER Tell us Oldtimer how can Canada spread BSE thur your country? Wouldn't it be your feed system spreading it through your country? AND now that the US has BSE couldn't that same US feed system be spreading US origin BSE thur your country? What does Canada have to do with your non compliant weak ruled feed system? If the USDA allows BSE to spread it will have very little to do with Canadian cattle. It will have to do with the untested or false negitive BSE positive cattle originating in the US and being fed back to cattle through your non compliant system. I agree those cattle should have never entered the US but to blame the risk of spreading BSE in the US on those few cattle is wrong when it is your system where the really risk lies.

If USDA allows in these Canadian cattle, before plugging the feed ban in both countries they greatly expand the danger of infecting the US herd and the US market and expanding the disease thru North America- why should we sell out the US cattle industry to the multinational packers that have the USDA bought, sold, and pocketed- and that could care less of what happens to either market as long as they have the availabilty of the rest of the world ( Australia , Central and South America) as a produce provider........

Where will Canada's market be 10 years from now if someone happens to die from vCJD and its traced to generic North American beef? If Canada actually had testicles they'd be screaming too to close the loopholes, and to have their product identified and not have their product tied to generic beef from anywhere in the world- but we know this won't happen because Canada would still be in the third world of beef production if they ever challenged the multinational corporations and didn't ride on the shirttails of the US producer.......................

Whoaa.........Oldtimer.......buddy. you must have had a hard day :roll: .
If USDA allows in these Canadian cattle, before plugging the feed ban in both countries they greatly expand the danger of infecting the US herd and the US market and expanding the disease thru North America-
Infecting the US herd? Hey! News is that the US has BSE! Where ya bin? You're sounding a bit like Rip Van Winkle :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where will Canada's market be 10 years from now if someone happens to die from vCJD and its traced to generic North American beef?
Now that's a good question. I bet our major market will still be the US and if its traced to generic North American beef the US will be in the same boat as Canada.

If Canada actually had testicles they'd be screaming too to close the loopholes,
We have been! We have wanted you to start following all of the "proposed" Jan 2004 changes to US BSE regulations for well over a year but how can we force you to do anything. :???: You did a good job of catching that one 31 month old a couple of weeks ago that happened to be Canadian but what about all the others that were born in the USA and slid through on a UTM line? :oops:

and to have their product identified and not have their product tied to generic beef from anywhere in the world-
Anywhere in the world? Does that include that Cajun southern eared beef that will be proudly labeled product of the USA? You label some of that US raised Mexican fighting bull beef as the same product as what you raise and I'll be glad to slap a Maple Leaf on ours.

but we know this won't happen because Canada would still be in the third world of beef production if they ever challenged the multinational corporations and didn't ride on the shirttails of the US producer
Now which is it tonight Oldtimer? Is it the packers or the US producer giving Canadians a ride? Can't be both as R-Calf says they don't raise BEEF, they raise cattle or are you saying there actually is a North American beef industry that you are part of? :lol: :wink:

One more thing Oldtimer.
And I didn't call him a frechman because of you- just the historical french way of saying things that aren't true-Chiraque, Chretien, goes all the way back to old DeGaulle- communist leanings all the way.... .........
Doesn't matter much to me what you say about any of the above but don't you think it just a wee bit hypocritcal for one to support R-Calf and their THROW UP WALLS AROUND THE US, ANTI TRADE message with such blindness and then say that someone else has communist leanings? :???:

Blame Canada for all your problems Oldtimer but that will still NOT change the fact that it will be the US feed system spreading BSE even if another Canadian animal is never imported into the US. Where the cattle come from is not longer the problem now that the US HAS BSE. The risk is your feed system You can't really be that blind to think that imported Canadian cattle is your only source of BSE and by stopping them your problems are solved.

Oldtimer said:
frenchie said:
Oldtimer said:

Frenchie- I gave you my answer- both on here and on cattletoday- and oldfart is a wolf in sheeps clothing- speaks like a Canuck- and until he puts his website, name, and picture on this site like I have I'll call him what he is-- A Saskatchewan Canadian putting himself out to be an American to stir up sh*t - just like Nebrusker did and got removed.......Prove me wrong.....And I didn't call him a frechman because of you- just the historical french way of saying things that aren't true-Chiraque, Chretien, goes all the way back to old DeGaulle- communist leanings all the way.... .........

Oldtimer ..funny you got french on the brain. :lol: .

So your answer to my question was that it was your statements ,not the Japanese.

You did a good job of catching that one 31 month old a couple of weeks ago that happened to be Canadian but what about all the others that were born in the USA and slid through on a UTM line?

The US did not find this cow, the CFIA, realized the mistake while auditing the shipment. They then notified the USDA.

Does anyone know exactly how the CFIA audited a shipment after it had left the country? I don't get this. :???: :???:

Was "31 months old" written on the export papers? Not likely. It would never have been signed off and been endorsed for export.

Or did the CFIA send someone to check teeth at the other end?

How do you audit a shipment after it leaves the country and find an older animal on it?

Latest posts